Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since War Horse and LiL Bull are nearly completed its time to look at whats next ....so here is the beginning shots...let the journey began...I do want to thank all you guys here that have helped me source parts and get up to speed "Cafe Style" Geeto67,JohnnyB Branson,Not so Angry aaron,JD,the tex mawby....and others,each of you have apart in this Oscar Award..Id like to thank the producers the directors.. ahh just take a look at what I have ahead of me..

http://www.georgescustomcars.com/cafebuilds.html

PS Geeto the seat alone must wieght 15 pounds,thats a easy wieght loss,never mind helmet lock brackets and latch hardware and brackets .It pretty much cafe-ish stock in its style.
Put I know I can do more whoo hoo!
I do like the front forks..look business like.
I know the faster 3hp more version is better, but I see I can cut down some wieght.remove stock heavey seat 101.

Edited by - LiLBull on Dec 15 2005 09:33:17 AM

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I don't even remember a KZ550, I thought it was either a 650 or 750. Anyway, nice score. Good luck witit.

FR

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not going to bother, straightening it ,Ill just buy a good used one and swap parts over.bent up the back bone in the middle to the tail fish tailed a bus I heard.

Edited by - LiLBull on Dec 15 2005 2:25:39 PM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Looking at that kz550 frame yeah that thing is totally done. Shame since they are nice (but heavy) bikes. Rosko's friend Tim sold one recently that was in awsome shape.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey Geeto this time Ill throw in a box, every thing I take off and when Im done Ill weigh the parts and pieces. Then Ill weigh each new part i put on and see what the difference will be ..just for the hell of it .

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
George,
I have straightened rear frames on race bikes that were bent way worse than that. Especially if you are going to cafe it out and remove a lot of brackets and stuff. The easiest way is to start levering everything back into shape and see what happens. I have cut things apart to move them independently and welded back together and cut kinks out and spliced back together. It really doesn't take much time and on such a low miles frame you probably have really good bearings and such. I would take a look before I replaced.
Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kenessex,I pull car frames all the time,and have fixed my share of sports car/race car frames. Ill take your advice and try it ..I can always get another one I have three frames all ready lined up .
George

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I have pulled one frame back into shape in my life. It was a 1975 John Player Norton. The bike had been in a major laydown in the late 1970's and although the owner bought all the parts to fix, he left it to sit until 2001. By all measurements we got that bike straight as we could be we could never get it to ride straight. Had it been any other bike I would have replaced the frame but because it was a jpn the frame was special. Compares to another friend's JPN the bike felt totally different and had a slight lean to it. Once they are hit that bad they are never the same.

YOu can try straightening it george, but it would be way cooler to just build a manx style frame for it and never look back. Also you may want to check the rear swingarm, a hit like that is liable to bend everything.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeap Ill laser level it all up .like I said ,I have found three other frames so Ill give it a kenessex try and see whats to lose at this point .

Geeto I have no dimensions for that frame Id be guessing .How much time and effort do you think I want to put into it I plan on selling it off not keep it .Its why I rather just buy a good used frame .
As I build each bike ,what I ultimately will build for myself...That is still in the tossed salad state,(tossing ideas in my mind)I can see there are so many options and with my skill I can build what i want so cost wont be an issue.

But these four bikes have been great fun .

Edited by - LiLBull on Dec 16 2005 09:59:57 AM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts