Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so here is my seat. the pictures explain the best, but I covered my frame and laid glass on it to get my shape.. it's rough at first so I trimmed it, and laid a second coat. now I have installed the hump but I don't have that photo yet.. basically I glued the foam to the seat pan I made and covered the whole thing in glass
the frame
covered in tape and release agent to keep the bike clean
first coat
I removed it from the frame and put a second coat
two coats and trimmed ready for tail hump

Edited by - SUZUKISAM on Oct 13 2007 11:55:21 PM

Edited by - SUZUKISAM on Oct 14 2007 1:43:36 PM

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
these photos look crappy.. it's not as rough as it looks.. but it's a basice seat pan.. after I get the glass done and get it ground down. I'll get some more photo's

·
Registered
74 Posts
quote:
these photos look crappy.. it's not as rough as it looks.. but it's a basice seat pan.. after I get the glass done and get it ground down. I'll get some more photo's
Right On. Nothing a bit of bondo can't fair out:) You can also mix up glass microspheres with your resin to make a bondo-like slurry, a bit cheaper.

Looks like you used glass matting and polyester resin? How are the mounting brackets going to work?

·
Registered
74 Posts
quote:
Right On. Nothing a bit of bondo can't fair out:) You can also mix up glass microspheres with your resin to make a bondo-like slurry, a bit cheaper.

Looks like you used glass matting and polyester resin? How are the mounting brackets going to work?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I think the mounting bracket should be really easy. If you look at the pic of the bare framet, here are two tabs and a bracktet that goes across. they are already threaded, so I'm goin to get some small button head allen screws and bolt it down flat that way. then my seat cushion will snap on and I can unsnap the seat cushion to unbolt the pan. I won't have any electronics to get to really so the seat doesn't need to lift up or anything.

yeah I just used mat and resin.. hey where do you get those spheres, that would help a lot. I don't want to add a lot of green resin jelly cause it's soo heavy.. I'm trying to keep it light!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I think the mounting bracket should be really easy. If you look at the pic of the bare framet, here are two tabs and a bracktet that goes across. they are already threaded, so I'm goin to get some small button head allen screws and bolt it down flat that way. then my seat cushion will snap on and I can unsnap the seat cushion to unbolt the pan. I won't have any electronics to get to really so the seat doesn't need to lift up or anything.

yeah I just used mat and resin.. hey where do you get those spheres, that would help a lot. I don't want to add a lot of green resin jelly cause it's soo heavy.. I'm trying to keep it light!

·
Registered
74 Posts
quote:
[...]
Here's one source for the filler:
http://www.fibreglast.com/showproducts-category-Fillers-111.html

Not sure what the green resin is that you're referring to. I use a mixture of regular old epoxy resin with the microspheres to a thick, spreadable consistency and sand away once dried.

For light weight considerations, you might want to do a layup using a vacuum bag, wrapping your piece in peel-ply and some layers of breather cloth to squeeze out and soak up excess resin. I recently wrote an instructable on a low-tech implementation of this process here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Vacuum-bagging-basics.

It's a bit of messing around, but you get a good resin/glass ratio in the end, plus the pressure of the bag helps eliminate any lift-off of fibers, and also bubbles...

·
Registered
74 Posts
quote:
[...]
Here's one source for the filler:
http://www.fibreglast.com/showproducts-category-Fillers-111.html

Not sure what the green resin is that you're referring to. I use a mixture of regular old epoxy resin with the microspheres to a thick, spreadable consistency and sand away once dried.

For light weight considerations, you might want to do a layup using a vacuum bag, wrapping your piece in peel-ply and some layers of breather cloth to squeeze out and soak up excess resin. I recently wrote an instructable on a low-tech implementation of this process here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Vacuum-bagging-basics.

It's a bit of messing around, but you get a good resin/glass ratio in the end, plus the pressure of the bag helps eliminate any lift-off of fibers, and also bubbles...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I try not to use much bondo.. so when I said green resin jelly I was talking about the green fiberglass made by bondo that has the strands of hair in it.. it works awesome but it is freakin heavy. bondo absorbs water if exposed, so I try to keep it out of my bikes as much as possible. yeah the vacume bagging soundes cool but I'm too far along.. I'll get some pics up tommorow. thanks for the info

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well I try not to use much bondo.. so when I said green resin jelly I was talking about the green fiberglass made by bondo that has the strands of hair in it.. it works awesome but it is freakin heavy. bondo absorbs water if exposed, so I try to keep it out of my bikes as much as possible. yeah the vacume bagging soundes cool but I'm too far along.. I'll get some pics up tommorow. thanks for the info

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
here is the latest on where I am with my tail. I decided to switch over from the fiberglass mat to the cloth it is WAY easier and stronger. It is reall smooth now however it doesn't look like it. I have a lot more blocking to do but the basic shape is down..

Edited by - SUZUKISAM on Oct 15 2007 10:08:22 PM

Edited by - SUZUKISAM on Oct 15 2007 10:09:18 PM

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you think? cool! I've been workin my arse off. I'm gonna itch for a year from grinding glass!!!! I've gotta put one more coat of glass and then block the holy shiznizzle out of it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, nice job!! That puppy is gonna look great when it's done.
Also, I'm glad you went from the mat to the cloth. It seems like that mat was giving you some real issues.

Keep on truckin, friend.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah I've only done a few glass jobs, so I' really figured out what I was doing on a gsxr tail I made... So I've just been honing my skills on this one.. i think I could have done it a lot better though. you know how it is when you get done you see everything you did wrong

Edited by - SUZUKISAM on Oct 16 2007 6:01:29 PM

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looking great! Yeah, i like that tail shape a lot, especially the flattened tip; it ought to look good in profile with your tank, which to me seems like a hard about fabbing your own tail section: making it work with the tank. Looks very business like.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok I'm on the home stretch I've got all the glass done and it just needs blocked out and another coat of resin.. I'm just blocking and adding resin.. I hope thats not a bad idea. but I thought resin would be harder than high build primer. so I'm using that to block it out. It is a mother to sand but hey it should be a good hard surface.. let me know what you think.. oh by the way I've got a 75 750 super sport tank coming for it so the front is still not finished

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah I don't usually like the flat tail but this one is small and my wife liked it.. and now I think it's really about perfect for the look.. it's a little heavier than I wanted but hey it's an old honda everything is heavy

·
Registered
74 Posts
quote:
yeah I don't usually like the flat tail but this one is small and my wife liked it.. and now I think it's really about perfect for the look.. it's a little heavier than I wanted but hey it's an old honda everything is heavy
Well you know I think it'd look off if you just tapered it down to a point, so it was a good decision in my mind.

Not sure what you refer to in "blocking" above, is that the application of some sort of filler to smooth out any surface irregularities?

A final coat (or coats) of epoxy should help toughen it up. Are you going to paint? I'm out of my league here when it comes to finishing, but I do know that there are differences between polyester and epoxy resin when it comes to "surface cure" in that poly does not fully cure when exposed to the air. This can effect how well paint sticks, sandability, etc. People sometimes add a surface curing agent to the polyester resin, which is a kind of wax that floats to the top of the resin and creates an air tight membrane under which the polyester can fully cure. This wax is then removed and you have a decent surface.

I'm not explaining this well, but i'd poke around a lot on boating websites and maybe some suppliers on the net (tap plastics are nice folks).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts