One man's story
is another man's shame,
Ain't bound for glory
I'm bound for flames

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and the measurements wre done with a tape measure and calibrated eyeball... so the 1/32" difference is probably not there...

One man's story
is another man's shame,
Ain't bound for glory
I'm bound for flames

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just for future reference, when posting pictures change you "IMG" tags to lowercase "img" tags.

The best kind of justice is angry mob justice.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah... I forgot... the links work though.

One man's story
is another man's shame,
Ain't bound for glory
I'm bound for flames

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the first two are SOHC swingarms and you seem to know where they come from so no surprises. The last and longest one looks like a 1980-82 cb750K swingarm. That arm on the bottom is the brake arm for the drum brake. You might be able to rotate the caliper around to the bottom and still use the drum brake arm to secure the disc brake caliper but it may make bleeding the caliper a little difficult (and you may have to reinforce the arm).

Personally I would have started with a 1979-1982 cb750 F swingarm if I wanted a rear disc brake, dimensionally the same as the K arm but it has the brake arm mount on top.

also notice that the DOHC pivot mount is asymetrical (longer on the right than the left). I hope you took that into account when you decided to modify it.

Edited by - geeto67 on Nov 08 2007 12:52:52 PM

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah... I'm getting it milled down to fit. It's about 1/2" on one side it looks like... I'll bolt the two swingarms together to be sure.

it was a toss-up between sourcing an F swingarm to make the fit easy... or getting the length from the DOHC swingarm.

Yeah, I've created work for myself... but so far I've spent almost nothing on this bike, so I expect to have to work to make things fit. I'm going to have to make a brake stay anyways if I use the longer swingarm...

we'll see.. once all the parts are in front of me, I may decide that it's just waaaaay too much effort.

Thanks for the input, it's appreciated.

One man's story
is another man's shame,
Ain't bound for glory
I'm bound for flames

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:

it was a toss-up between sourcing an F swingarm to make the fit easy... or getting the length from the DOHC swingarm.
Man I don't think you get it... It should not have been a toss up at all because there are DOHC F bikes, you could have gotten a disc brake LONGER swing arm from a DOHC F bike and not have to fab a brake arm stay.

DOHC F bikes made from 1979 to 1982 look like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...ryZ80647QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and here is a good forum for them:

www.cb1100f.net

and here is a 1980 cb750 F swingarm (the pic is upsidedown, notice the heavy duty brake arm for the disc rear):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/hond...ryZ35592QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

and if you want to go crazy here is the boxed cb1100f swingarm (which should take about the same amount of work as a standard F swingarm to fit):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HOND...ryZ35601QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope, I obviously didn't get it.

Thanks though... I'll head out the local boneyard and see if I can dig one up.

I appreciate it... even if you are kind of an ass sometimes. (that's a joke by the way)

One man's story
is another man's shame,
Ain't bound for glory
I'm bound for flames

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more question...

are the pivot bolts the same size?

One man's story
is another man's shame,