23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Werent you complaining about not having a honda parts cross reference manual:

http://www.zedder.com/index.htm

http://www.zedder.com/msg16.htm

quote:Included In this Package:

Most Honda Part Numbers for Motorcycles and ATV's from 1987 to 2005

Select a model and all parts which were used on the model will be displayed

Select a part and all included models which used the part will be displayed.

Enter a part number and all included models which used the part will be displayed

5537 different models/year/countries supported

Models included from 29 different countries

5620192 cross entries

124553 different part numbers included

Your perfect source for rebuilding that old bike

Requires Windows 95, 98, ME, XP, NT, 2000 or XP Pro

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Geeto,
The difference is..that software references part numbers. The cross reference I speak of worked differently.

For instance...on a normal parts cross reference you enter a number for an oil filter...it will tell you every bike that used that part number oil filter. What the rare cross reference I speak of would do...is tell you what parts were the SAME despite different part numbers. For instance...if a connecting rod for a CB400/4 was the same as a CB175 but had different part numbers it will not show up in that cross reference. In the rare honda cross reference it would. The Honda cross reference was designed to be used by Honda dealer mechanics etc, to substitute one part from one bike to use on another, despite a difference in part numbers....to help keep inventory down and use all available parts.

Most decent autobody shops or garages have a giant cross reference manual that will tell you things like...yes the control arm from a 1970 chevelle will fit a 1982 firebird despite the part numbers being totally different ...they are called "Interchange" manuals as opposed to cross references. It's based on part dimensions, design etc instead of part numbers. Since this information is only found deep in the innards of the manufacturers parts design databases it can be very hard to find for motorcycles....for American cars it's been done for years. The body shop I worked at had a Interchange manual for every US manufacturer.
JohnnyB

PS. Hollander is the main company that has been printing auto interchange manuals for like 60 years.

Edited by - jbranson on Jul 19 2007 4:10:04 PM

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
if anyone finds an "interchange" manual, i want a copy or the link to it.

good stuff!

tex

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a hollander interchange manual so I got the idea. Just trying to be helpful is all.

I know the manual you speak of, I saw one once in my secret place in louisiana (my secret place is a barn in rural southern louisiana that was the dealer storage for a honda motorcycle dealer from the 60's to the late 80's - I was allowed in once and there were no less than 30 bikes still in the crates including 2 79 CBXs and 3 cb750s, the parts stash is retarded but the old man doesn't want to sell anything - in fact he would like to forget it was ever there).

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
quote:the parts stash is retarded but the old man doesn't want to sell anything - in fact he would like to forget it was ever there).
prob. just doesn't want to deal with it after all the years he has been involved with motorcycles.

JS

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
probably. That dude was crust as fuck and just plain mean. A mutual friend took me to his barn and I near about shat myself when I saw it.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
geeto,

you obviously aren't fluent in coonass. let me help translate for you.

texy

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Geeto,
I have my local parts guy that promised if Honda ever sent them another that he would save one for me (he said they usually get them in pairs).
I forget where...but I saw a page out of one once. It had a picture of a model of a bike at the top of a page...then listed various components of the bike...and under each component listed the other bikes that used the same part (but not necessarily part number). It was definately geared towards consumables...filters, sprockets, plugs, gaskets, brakes etc. But it seemed to have different sections of the manual that dealt with different component areas.

To find one that dealt with like 65-85 hondas would be a gold mine for vintage racers.
I hate people that horde shit they will never use and won't sell it.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
finally remembered to dig it out.

this is the:

"1958 to 1982 Honda motorcycle parts history guide"

like a phonebook of parts #'s
each listed by honda code and part # marked 'superseded'/'discontinued' or just continued, all superseded and discontinued have 'most forward' part # listing and current dealer net prices as of 1982. Many part #'s followed by 'was pn#______' etc.

What makes this a pain to use is that the numbers are ordered by Honda code rather than part # (this is rectified by the second half which is a part # to Honda code reference).

The row layout is a bit convoluted
example:

MT125 O/M Lever R Handle 3136152 Discontinued
superseded by 53150-354-702
which was 0338871
and most currently is 068806
cost $1.80 net

if you then look up 0338871 refers you to most current 068806

make sense?

The pages are DENSE with #'s, 5 rows of PN to Honda code per page. ouch.

so that's what I have.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Yep...pretty sure I just threw two of those away. Big thick books with thin pages like a phone book? Mind had black covers. One of them was a dealer price list.
Although yours does sound a bit more helpful that what I had...which was mostly just a gimongous price list.
I didn't find my books to be very helpful....except to find out how bad the dealership is screwing me.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not to throw salt on an open wound but this program is what dealers use today to look up parts:

http://servicehonda.com/test/index.htm

it uses active X and IE, two things I kinda loathe but it is worth it.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
could be the same, this one is red and the size/ thickness of a standard manual. I was pretty excited when I found it thinking it was the holy grail. Got home and realized it was just the same info I could get from cmsnl.

I have tried and tried but I just hate that service honda site.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

1 - 18 of 18 Posts