Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I kinda like it, it's pretty unique. I think it would look much better without those huge t-rex arms they use for intakes.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
whatever, thats a good looking bike! hate the mirrors/signals. i prefer my cylinders inline but the hp and that shit load of torque looks like it most likely goes like ape shit too.

And since its a Buell, they'll let me test drive it! nobody else ever offers demos.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Love: the technical specs, the brakes, and the exhaust system

Hate: every piece of plastic on that thing. Seriously, that's hideous.

·
Registered
569 Posts
holy intake Batman......no no Robin don't stand in front...whooooosh....damn...

dch.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I suppose you can't see those bulbous intakes from the saddle, but you gotta park it and look sometime. Life is too short to be riding ugly motorcycles.
cheers, bcr

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
those ane not just intakes, they are the bike's radiators. The radiators are also leaf sprung so if you drop it it will only damage the rad and not the whole bike.

I like it, it is not for everybody, but I like technology and the buell is full of technology. I think the standard 1125R looks a little better, but one this is for certain, you won't see yourself coming.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Good God, I don't have anything good to say about it. Even if there was something good I couldn't because...well there isn't. That's just ridiculous. No wonder oil is so expensive, look at all the plastic on the thing.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Hey Geet, I met Eak the Freak today.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
An ugly gal has all the bits a good looking gal has but I'd rather date a pretty gal. Being old has its advantages. In my late teens/early 20s I got to lust after Dunstall Nortons and dream of MV Agustas. I doubt I could lust after that and any dreams of it would be defined as nightmares.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's why Harley bought MV Agusta. So they don't have to attempt to make a street bike anymore. Sorry I mean Batbike.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
WHen I last test rode a Buell a few years back, I liked it. Fun power, but the powerband was rather narrow for a twin. Steering lock sucked, and a touchy throttle made it hard to move around the parking lot before we hit the road.

If they could widen the powerband, it'd be a great road bike. And put those radiators somewhere else. Damn shame that it's so damn ugly. Buell is known for doing some funky stuff on his bikes. Like the oil is stored in the swingarm (not that you really want to be adding weight to the suspension) and the fuel in the frame. Wonder if they tried to put the radiator under the seat like a Benelli.

Well I guess the fuel tank is under the seat because the "gastank" is the airbox. No room for the radiator in the traditional behind-the-front-wheel spot?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Or they could of just made it aircooled. Fuck all that technology shit. Not to mention it would clean up bike quiet abit and probably make it have somewhat of a cafe look.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Pinche Chingadera

Or they could of just made it aircooled. Fuck all that technology shit. Not to mention it would clean up bike quiet abit and probably make it have somewhat of a cafe look.
Buell already has way too many aircooled bikes: Firebolt, Lightning, Blast, Ulysses etc... They needed a bike that could at the very lease compete with the italians and be mentioned in the same sentence as the japanese. The new Rotax motor does that, and it had to be water cooled to deliver the power levels it does (146 hp and 82 ft/lbs of torque). It isn't a hard concept, you don't like it you can buy one of the buell aircooled bikes or a bellybutton monster, it isn't like they are forcing this on you, they simply want to make the joke about american sportbikes less funny.

By the way, I have heard all these arguments before. When Ducati created the new 900SS in 1991 they built a full fairing version and a Cafe Racer version (it was actually called that in the sales literature) with a half fairing. People panned the SS initially because it was not as good as the original 70's 750 and 900ss and they espically attacked the cafe racer version for being ugly. Now those bikes are considered one of the more beautiful ducatis and the cafe racer has a niche following.

Other bikes people initially said were ugly:

Norton John Player Special Commando
BSA Rocket 3
Cagiva Elephante

well....you get the idea...

I just don't think most of the people on this site are the bike's target market...if we were it would be made out of junk parts, painted 3 shaded of primer, and cost $1000.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I got to put 150 miles on my buddies freshly delivered 1125r this weekend.

Umm....damn. The CR is homely and the R is...well.....unique, however, it goes like stink. I'd happily put it up against just about anything else in it's class. Fat torque, lots of power without having to spin this lump like mad. Yeah, sweet bike, I'd own one in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
swagger...from looking at the design it looks like the 1125 motor does not throw any heat on the rider, is that the case?

I know all the japanese rockets usually have at least one radiator vent pointed at a pink fleshy part, and ducati's are just heat sinks all over, does the buell do this also or has someone figured out that venting hot air should not be pointed at the rider?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I didn't notice much in the way of offensive heat however I was in cool weather gear thus....well insulated.
Didn't get much about the mid-50s so was not going to be an issue. The 'ducts' for lack of a better word are fairly well designed as far as function is concerned and I doubt it'd be bad even on a hot day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts