Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you guys doing the practice day at mid o?
how do they run the practice day with ahrma?

jc

Edited by - joe c on Jun 26 2007 10:57:47 PM

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Joe,

I'm planning on getting there on Thursday. The AHRMA practices for Mid-Ohio are broken into 6 groups. The groups are divided by class that you've entered for racing. USCRA's slow/fast/sidecar sessions kind of pale in comparison. They're running from 8 - 12. One hour break for lunch. Then from 1 - 5. And this all depends on how many red flags there are. I think I've usually gotten three sessions in the morning and another three in the afternoon. If you've never been to Mid-Ohio it's not a bad idea to get the practice day. On Saturday there's only two rounds of practice. And they're shorter than Friday's sessions. And only one round on Sunday.

Craig

·
Registered
450 Posts
and Mid Ohio girls thank you very much!

I signed up for the practice day on Friday. I am going to make my call then to see if I am going to race the weekend...

Anyone passing through PA between Philly and Harrisburg that might want to ride share out. Let me know!

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
kerry,

are you sure ahrma/mid-o will let you do a late registration (they never used to)? better double check on that one.

tex

·
Registered
450 Posts
I sent in my registration the other day and got an e-mail reply that I should be good to go. I pre entered so if I opt not to race, I will just lose my money...

I think you should come to Mid Ohio Texy....I never get to see you anymore:)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I didn't think they would accept first timers at Mid-O or Daytona either. It would be great if someone would send the AHRMA administrators to clarify the rules concerning USCRA members with no experience with AHRMA or at Mid-Ohio. Obviously, the AHRMA rule book guidelines would apply concerning rider and bike requirements. Bottom line, would they respect a valid USCRA license and experience racing in that org only? It would suck to get out there and not actually race.
I'm not planning on going this year, but maybe I should attend some WERA and other AHRMA races in preparation for Mid-O next summer.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
As I understand it, AHRMA officials feel Mid-Ohio is too dangerous as a beginners track after a few fatalities & life flights in the last couple of years. They require a race school and two races (ie a Saturday run in Formula 500 and a Sunday run in Formula 500 would qualify) prior to Ohio. You could go to Nelson for the WERA race July 7 & 8 and be good to go for Ohio (provided you register before July 6).

Jim

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Anyone see any irony in the fact that the USCRA's local track is one of the most dangerous around yet we have to race somewhere else or with another club to prove our worthyness? At least Mid-O is safe enough for the AMA.

Jeff

·
Registered
347 Posts
the way it was explained to me is that it's not just the technicality of the track, but basically double the normal grids with people who really only race at daytona and mid-o and haven't run their bikes since the previous year.

scott from chicago
ahrma #527

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yah, ive heard the track is tough. so i wanted to tryand do practice. at least a few rounds on friday. thanks craig. sounds like there will be a few uscra'ers racing, which is cool.

joe

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
the track isn't that hard....

it's just ahrma being ahrma.

effin' mosport is technical. daytona and mid-o are like frontierland compared to that gp track!

see you fruits at mosport!

texy

p.s.- thanks for the invite kerry! miss you (and mom and pops) too! i will be up at granite state to bump elbows with you. good luck at mid-o!

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
jc,

Like Tex said the track's not really that tough. But there are a lot of racers that only come out for that event. Or there are racers that come out for the western races plus Mid-Ohio. So there are a lot of new faces. That's one of the reasons they run six practice groups and at other AHRMA races they run four. And at this event I think they have 15 maybe 16 races. Other AHRMA races they'll have 10, combining a lot of classes into one grid. And the grids are pretty big. For some reason they always seem to start the Thruxton bikes on the grid behind my class. You havn't lived until you feel Springsteen, Nixon, Tim Joyce and a couple of others flying by you into the keyhole.

And Kerry racing at Mid-Ohio her first year falls under the "Don't ask questions you don't want answers to" rule. She didn't ask if she could she just sent in her registration. Jim Marhan asked and was told no. Any body else wants to ask they'll be told no. Anybody else want to race there? Send in your money. Let them tell you no.

Kerry's a smart girl. If she thinks Mid-Ohio is too intense after her practice she won't race. I'm thinking she'll be fine.

Craig

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
right on craig.

i dont want nixon anywhere near me. tim joyce is supposed to be a pretty decent guy though. ive never met him but the wera regulars i hang out with seem to like him.

j

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thanks for the vote of confidence Craig. That is exactly what I plan on doing. Dad has told me to get into shape for Mid O since it is a demanding track so the routine has begun.

Basically I sent in my membership application with my race school cert and a copy of where I finished. Then I entered Mid O. We will see. Hopefully I will feel comfortable enough to race, but if not, I will just study the course for next year!

·
Registered
347 Posts
kerry, thats what i did last year. the course isn't tough, but dealing with the zoo that can be mid-o can be frustrating. can't wait to put some faces to all these screen names.

scott from chicago
ahrma #527

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Who told Jim Marhan no? Just wondering in case I have to beg to get into the party. From the AHRMA site, it looks like I'd need to talk to either one of these guys:

Vintage Roadrace Rules & Eligibility Committee
Fred Mork, chairman, 2418 Sixth St., Berkeley, CA 94710; 510-845-0992; fax 510-845-2358; [email protected].
Tim Stancill, 1327 Old Fallston Road, Fallston, MD 21047-1837; 410-877-7332
Brian Slark, 12603 Bel Aire Circle, McCalla, AL 35111; 205-477-4340; fax 205-477-7780; [email protected].

OR:

Roadrace Director, Cindy Cowell; 2375 Midway Road SE, Bolivia, NC28422; 910-253-8012; fax 910-253-8313; [email protected].

My plan is to hit the WERA race at Nelson July 7 & 8. WERA school on the 7th and then Formula 500 and V3 races on Sunday. That gets me school and two races as per the AHRMA requirements. Of course since the AHRMA deadline is July 6 to register, I may have to do some fast talking......

And Mosport is a fantastic track. I've never raced there although I got to "ride" a race bike (on the back of the trailer picking up the DNFs at the end of the day) and it looks like it would be a lot of fun to race. I've been to the VRRA Vintage event in August and it's worth the trip. Lots of great folks there....

Jim

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Are you guys trying to race Mid-O as Non-AHRMA members?
I never had any problem racing with them...I joined the club, register for a race, go race.

If you are trying race as a non-member I understand the trouble, they require certain documentation to join, Photo copy of race "license" (membership card), photo copy of race school card, and a couple of other things. If you are trying race at their Premiere event as a non-member I can imagine that things would get complicated.

Jim Marhan made the mistake of mentioning the USCRA to one of AHRMA's bosses....there's bad blood there.

If you are already a member it's a simple proceedure.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jb, mid o and daytona have different rules applying to them. there is also bad blood supposedly between cindy and the roadracing faction of the club. so bad things happen alot i guess.

jersey, which classes you runnin? are you running your main and bump both days? im trying to decide what to do as far as the schedule.

jc

1 - 20 of 30 Posts