Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... And anyone else who cares to comment. Being Good Friday, my kids have today off from school (I'm on my way to fetch them from their mother for the w/e in half an hour). Got a busy couple days ahead of me; I have a pound cake in the oven, have 2 pies to make (for Sunday dinner at my folks'), I have to make hamburger buns for tonight's dinner. We also have plans to dye eggs twice; Today with Gurl, and tomorrow afternoon at my parents' house. I bought 2 hams for the family feast on Sunday. What customs do you observe for Easter? My dad's Italian, and his brother used to spend Easter in Sicily, where it's a crazy religious holiday. Being a recovering Catholic myself, it's all about decorated hard boiled eggs (awesome with a pint), candy, egg hunts, etc. Easter bunny will fill a basket for my kids to open on Sunday morning (from which I will steal a lot of chocolate when kids aren't looking). I'll post some pics over the w/e.

Sadly, there's a snow/rain mix coming down outside, and w/e weather calls for more of the same, temps in the 40s, so no motorcycles for me.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
well judey, REV'IT! has a union warehouse in the USA, so we are closed today. i am in my pj's lamenting that i must walk to the corner store for milk, so i can have my cereal and coffee. casey and i are gonna hang here this weekend (philly), eat when we want, what we want. probably no extended family time.....except she and i (our family).

there will be a pint in there i promise.

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
here in uk we just buy the kids easter eggs, simple as that, the 'egg hunt' is an american custom but theres a few over here that do it, me i cant be arsed,
but today as its good friday i had a day off from bikes and took the wife & grandaughter into town ...

tomorrow myself and the wife will be out on the kawa triple and sunday il be out on the RD400 with the lads, the sun is hot and life is good [8D]

·
Registered
309 Posts
Was just thinking the same thing - its cloudy and 40something degrees in nyc today. Then again I did wait out a ny blizzard in chicago this year.

Gave up cigars and junk food for lent (spare me the religious commentary - my unhealthy ass should have done this even if i was an atheist). Easter Sunday will be lasagna, lamb, some vino and a nice maduro.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I've got my girls today (moms working) so we're at the bistro getting ready for the weekend. My wife and the girls are heading up to families house in reading pa tomorrow morning. I'm heading to the Porsche swap meet at Hershey (weather permitting) or staying home to clean out the garage, either way I'll shoot up to reading for a few hours. Sadly I'll miss the egg hunt again this year. Easter brunch is pretty busy at both places so I'll be working.

Judey, I'll figure out a way to ship you some of the dough we use. It's frozen all you have to do is proof it in the fridge for 12 hours then at room temp for an hour or so. You can season it with herbs etc.... Saves you the mess of making dough but you get the same freshness. A case would last you a month or so.

Tex, if you venture out of the city heading south come on down. We'll be running those braised short ribs for Easter dinner special :)

Happy Easter

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I gave up booze and coffee for lent. I'm planning to get a little drunk on Easter. There's a pub that does all day happy hour on Sundays...half-price American drafts, 30 or so taps.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well,

easter in spain is all about church and stuff, we like to just escape in the 4x4s.
But thats how it ended today:

So i stay at home for the rest of the holiday. No one got hurt though..

Chris

·
Registered
602 Posts
Boy, they sure do things different in Spain. On this side of the Atlantic we usually have the tires on the bottom of the vehicle!!!

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tex... sounds like you & Casey should spend the long w/e as nekkid as possible... that's what I'd do, had I no kids. :D I like your Easter plans!

Tony... every time you post pics of your town, I get jealous. Your photos are moving your town higher on my list of places I need to visit before I die (and Mrs. Tony is hot!).

Spif... I'm sorry. All I have to say to you.

Mickey... Gurl had an old carton of ice cream, and old bread, so I once again have French toast prepared for the morning. PM me for an address if you want to send me anything bready. We had burgers tonight, and I should have taken photos of my buns ([:0]), but life moves too fast sometimes. My day was spent baking 2pies, hamburger buns, and 2 pound cakes. Lemon meringue & lemon curd tomorrow.

Santa Ana... Love Jeeps & other destruction... post pics of a good Spanish Easter feast. Chances are I'll incorporate anything worthwhile in next year's Easter Dinner. I have adventurous children.
BTW, do you eat tamales in Spain, or is that a purely North American dish?

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Judey you would love my town, its one of the oldest seaside resorts in England, its even mentioned in the doomsday book! if you ever did visit i would take you to some breathtaking places, like the Yorkshire moors, and lovely little villages around here, me and wife are going out that way today on the stroker so il take some photos for you (not of the wife, i mean of the locations ) :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Tamale is unknown here, its rather a latin american thing.
Dunno whats a real spanish easter feast looks like, we go out alot during easter. Like ive said, church is not my thing and watching a giant jesus muppet being carried round town (followed by crying grannies) neighter. But my father can tell a story soon, hes doing the whole thing with his girlfriends family (full on spaniards) inland. Hes back in a couple of days...keep ya informed.

Chris

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Colored about 4 dozen eggs with mine & Gurl's kids, yesterday afternoon & today. Gonna be eating a lot of egg salad for a while.

And none of you should be surprised by this:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
You guys are too nice to your kids/grandkids. All this fun, love and wives riding two strokes is freaking me out.

No really, looks like fun. Painting eggs is boss.

Your town looks like a place I'll have to see myself sometime Tony. Your wife rides? The triple? Awesome. Wish my girlfriend would ride. Too scared at this point in time.

My family are all back in Syracuse, so I'm on my lonesome here.

Usually we'd do the big Italian thing, and my mother would make us all (not the atheist father who used to pinch me as a baby to get out for a smoke) go to church wednesday to sunday. Shit load of pasta, steak el cico, a bird, meatballs (1 part pork, 3 parts beef which other secrets thrown in), shit loads of vegtables covered in cheese, italian sausages, fresh italian bread, and as a joke for dad (an aussie), vegemite sandwhich with salt and vinegar chips, a coke and side of hot peppers.

Fuck i'm hungry again cause of this forum.

So the girlfriend kindly invited me to her grandparents farm out west. Decided to meet her out there and ride the z500. I'll throw some photos of the ride up when i'm back in sydney. Unbelievable country out here.

Heres the path.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&q=sydney to nyngan&biw=1054&bih=433&wrapid=tlif130362849318611&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Hope you all have a great Easter and that you're all full.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Got a bit drunk at work. The barter system -the cooks drink and the bartenders eat.

The only thing that beats drinking for free is getting paid to drink.

Tony, how ghey is everyone getting for the whole royal wedding over there? Do the English people actually care what the Royal Family do or is it all just tabloid fodder for the little old ladies?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Got a bit drunk at work. The barter system -the cooks drink and the bartenders eat.

The only thing that beats drinking for free is getting paid to drink.

Tony, how ghey is everyone getting for the whole royal wedding over there? Do the English people actually care what the Royal Family do or is it all just tabloid fodder for the little old ladies?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts