Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! i want to rebuild my katana to plain gs model! I don't like his tank and seat. My question is is the same frame for the katana as the plain1980-81-82-83 gs / gsx / gs gt? or maybe something needs to be transformed? Thank you for your answers!

------> conversion:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Different motor, frame, bodywork, wheels, airbox, seat and so on.

You could try removing the seat and bodywork to see how hard it might be to fit a standard tank and seat. I suspect it might be easier to find a swap with someone who wants what you have and has what you want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see the same mounting points at the tank. I looked at the ads on ebay, I found these pictures there. the katana is a 1984 vintage, the other is a 1982 gs650e.

1984 katana:

1982 gs650e

·
Administrator
31 Posts
Hello! i want to rebuild my katana to plain gs model! I don't like his tank and seat. My question is is the same frame for the katana as the plain1980-81-82-83 gs / gsx / gs gt? or maybe something needs to be transformed? Thank you for your answers!
As Teaser said - almost everything is different, including the frame. It would cost you more than the bike is worth to buy parts only to find that they do not fit.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Is the Katana an 84, or an 83? I thought that the Katana style was made from 1981 to 1983 as the GS650G (and the 1983 GS550M). In 84 they went with the ES model which was very different. The 81-83 frame is probably pretty similar to the standard models.... BUT.... what you have is a fairly rare motorcycle and has some cult value. You might be better off selling that bike to someone who wants it for what it is and buying something you like better.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The frames are not quite the same. Extremely similar, but not identical.
  • Note how the Katana frame has tubular passenger peg/exhaust mounts welded into the frame; the E/G models had a bolt-on alloy plate.
  • The mounting tabs for the side covers are different.
  • The mounting tabs at the rear of the seat are different.
  • The brace at the rear of the frame is slightly altered.

That being said, the main frame tubes and overall dimensions seem unchanged. I am confident that with enough effort, the E/G bodywork could be adapted. Exactly what steps that would entail is something you will need to explore on your own.

1983-GS650G.jpg
    1983-GS650M.jpg

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Is the Katana an 84, or an 83? I thought that the Katana style was made from 1981 to 1983 as the GS650G (and the 1983 GS550M). In 84 they went with the ES model which was very different.
1983 was the last year for the entire GS650 line. In 1984 they had no 650cc bikes at all. In fact, they did away with all their air-cooled shafties with the exception of the GS850G, which hung on a couple more years.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
1983 was the last year for the entire GS650 line. In 1984 they had no 650cc bikes at all. In fact, they did away with all their air-cooled shafties with the exception of the GS850G, which hung on a couple more years.
Yeah, I wasn’t sure if they made a 650 version of the 4valve motor. But I do know they changed everything in 84. I had a roommate that had an 84 550 that was the bane of my existence for several years . Electrical nightmares, goofy Siamese carburetors, anti-stop anti-dive forks.....damned 16” front tire... Dammit! Now I’m cranky!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Easy now it's just a flashback.
LOL. Yeah, thanks. I had to go cuddle my emotional support badger. But I’m ok, now. Suzuki engineers were taking some sub quality drugs in the early 80’s and it wasn’t constructive until someone got some really good acid and came up with the GSX-R. And they rode that mushroom for far too long!

Reactions: woodsman

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The frames are not quite the same. Extremely similar, but not identical.
  • Note how the Katana frame has tubular passenger peg/exhaust mounts welded into the frame; the E/G models had a bolt-on alloy plate.
  • The mounting tabs for the side covers are different.
  • The mounting tabs at the rear of the seat are different.
  • The brace at the rear of the frame is slightly altered.

That being said, the main frame tubes and overall dimensions seem unchanged. I am confident that with enough effort, the E/G bodywork could be adapted. Exactly what steps that would entail is something you will need to explore on your own.

View attachment 104838 View attachment 104839

thanks for the reply!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts