Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

So I'm from Brussels and I've got a '81 Yamaha XV750 and going to build something Cafe-ish, even if the bike is more than 40 years old the final result won't be old school, I'll discover if it fits here in the proces of discovering the forum...

I already got enough parts to get started, still deciding on some technical and design choices...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well there's not a lot to show right now, here's the "donor bike" a 1981 XV750 "chopper"

Tire Wheel Plant Land vehicle Fuel tank

It will end up something like this, but with a even more modern approach, got already the same fuel tank (Kawasaki KZ650SR from 1980)

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

I'll take the front end of another of my project I'll probably never finish, it's a XJ900

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

On the XJ project I was more in a metal etching and repurpussing trip ( brass chandelier tips as indicators - skateboard as seat support etc - Ikea bowl as fairing...)

On the XV750 project it will be more Fusion360 and 3D printing and loads of carbon fiber... 2 opposites worlds in fact !

Hope you guys will be of some help with my technical/practical questions, I've got loads of ideas but not a lot of experience with the mechanical part.

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Don't know about where you live, but this:

is several parts short of being a complete street legal functioning motorcycle, even more evident by the lack of an ugly license plate.

·
Registered
1979 XS750
111 Posts
What is your timeline on the new build? Within a year or 2? Last guy I heard of doing one of these got the frame modified and quit. I thought it’d be pretty cool when it’s finished... with fenders of course haha which HD engine does your daily driver have?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes that my daily driver Harley Bobber, nothing to do with my new project, it's just to show that it's not because it doesn't have a front fender that it is a show bike !

·
Administrator
242 Posts

is several parts short of being a complete street legal functioning motorcycle, even more evident by the lack of an ugly license plate.
But you know what? I think that it's pretty sexy...it's obviously a concept bike - but could be made street legal with minimal changes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I live in Brussels Belgium, there's no MOT for Bikes, my daily has the same lack of fender and turn signals, no legal issue about that, I've got a rear fender but it's more decorative that anything else, when it rains, or has rained, my back is wet like you can guess, I just try not to ride when it rains, nothing funny about ridding in the rain !

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
My Daily driver...

Image doesn't show for me.

Yes it is a sexy looking art project. Missing fender is an 80$ fine here and would make it non road certifiable. The only thing allowed to be open wheel here is a manure spreader and those are not allowed on highways, only on secondary roads and when fitted with a big orange slow moving vehicle sign on the back.

Undersized tail light and lack of turn signals would require you to use hand signals or very likely get you in an accident.
ymmv.

Must be nice to live in a country where my Trials bike would even be considered road legal :cool:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What is your timeline on the new build? Within a year or 2? Last guy I heard of doing one of these got the frame modified and quit. I thought it’d be pretty cool when it’s finished... with fenders of course haha which HD engine does your daily driver have?
I hope to be ready for the next ridding season.

My HD is a 2007 Street Bob - 96ci - 1573cc got it like this

Also took me a back season to make it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts