Cafe Racer Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Image doesn't show for me.

Yes it is a sexy looking art project. Missing fender is an 80$ fine here and would make it non road certifiable. The only thing allowed to be open wheel here is a manure spreader and those are not allowed on highways, only on secondary roads and when fitted with a big orange slow moving vehicle sign on the back.

Undersized tail light and lack of turn signals would require you to use hand signals or very likely get you in an accident.
ymmv.

Must be nice to live in a country where my Trials bike would even be considered road legal :cool:
It's the same here about lack of turn signals it does require you to use hand signals.

About the tail light, the size doesn't matter, it just has to be bright enough, reason why those are certified and are the ones I'll be using

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Brake light requirement for DOT here is 8 square inches of illuminated area and must it must have a DOT approval stamped on the lens. ymmv.

... and you can't have it obscured by bodywork that prevents it from being viewed at an angle, that would never fly.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Ok, let's look at what you're dealing with here. You have a screeen shot of a CAD model of a modern looking bike with spoked wheels. You want to build something even MORE modern, with carbon fiber and 3D printed parts.

I'm not seeing where the carbon fiber and 3D printed parts will fit in. What are your ideas with that? Certainly nothing structural, so we're talking bolt on farkles. Carbon fiber fenders? Perfect application for the material here but no fenders will be used. Tail section? Are you laying it up yourself or buying something for a differnt bike and using it?

Modern features - wheels. 17" wheels are a must on any modern looking bike. As are disk brakes. The bike you are starting with has a cast aluminum 16" rear wheel with drum brakes. And it's shaft drive to boot. So what are your thoughts here? Maybe a different model had spoked wheels, so use that hub and lace up whatever you want? Ok, I can see it. Not exactly modern but not 16" either. But that drum brake... does the spoked wheel version use a disk? Can you use that swingarm too then, or mod the one you have?

Front end. You're going to use one off an FJ900, so that's only about 35 years old? As are the brakes that fit it. Not exactly modern either but then again finding a 17" front wheel to match the rear may be easier with an older front end. But if you want modern, you want an upside down fork. Maybe even one from this century that uses radial mount calipers?

Oh bother, there's that stock frame. Those sexy USD front ends are likely too short to use with it and it's cruiser geometry.

So the frame, wheels, forks, and brakes will all be old school. But it will be more modern looking than the CAD model because... it will have a carbon fiber tail section and a 3D printed... frame for an LED headlight?

Long winded point being, you can certainly build something more modern looking than the CAD model. And you can certainly build something more "cafe-ish" than the stock cuiser you are starting with. But building something more modern than the CAD model using the cruiser you have is a huge undertaking that a 3D printer and a couple sheets of carbon fiber aren't going to make any easier.

Someone famous once remarked "you can't make a race horse out of a pig, but you can make an awful fast pig!***". He was talking about a Porsche 911 but what I mean is, I don't see how you can make the bike you're starting with look modern without a HUGE amount of work.

If you want to build a more modern version of that CAD model, find something else to start with or resign yourself to the fact you can't use much of anything from that cruiser. If you want to make something out of that cruiser, resign yourself to the fact it will never look more modern than that CAD model.

Lipstick on a pig - carbon fiber parts on a cruiser. Sure it can be done but don't kid yourself about what you're going to end up with. Pigs are great, or, bacon is anyway. Cruisers are great. Lipstick is great. Carbon fiber can be great but it's one of the most mis-used materials on the planet and in sportbike circles almost as much of a cliche as brown seats on cafe racers or chrome on a Harley.

In all seriousness, decide what features you think will make your bike more modern than the CAD model. Then look at what features your bike has that you're stuck with and are NOT modern. As the farmer said when asked for directions, "If I was going there, I wouldn't start from here"

***Ok, fine, it was John Steinbeck in "East of Eden" and it wasn't worded exactly like that and he wasn't talking about a Porsche but the Porsche anecdote fit better here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
"
Ok, let's look at what you're dealing with here. You have a screeen shot of a CAD model of a modern looking bike with spoked wheels. You want to build something even MORE modern, with carbon fiber and 3D printed parts."

I was referring to the look of the bike, and yes, it can look more modern, alloy wheels and a more modern headlight than the classic round ones - I've got 2" led lights and I'm taking a break from my second CAD design ( and probably not the last version) to answer you, this headlight will be 3D printed.

I'll also design and 3D print a front fork "fairing/cover" that will serve as mold for the carbon fiber one that will be mounted on the bike.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Modern features - wheels. 17" wheels are a must on any modern looking bike. As are disk brakes. The bike you are starting with has a cast aluminum 16" rear wheel with drum brakes. And it's shaft drive to boot. So what are your thoughts here? Maybe a different model had spoked wheels, so use that hub and lace up whatever you want? Ok, I can see it. Not exactly modern but not 16" either. But that drum brake... does the spoked wheel version use a disk? Can you use that swingarm too then, or mod the one you have?

Front end. You're going to use one off an FJ900, so that's only about 35 years old? As are the brakes that fit it. Not exactly modern either but then again finding a 17" front wheel to match the rear may be easier with an older front end. But if you want modern, you want an upside down fork. Maybe even one from this century that uses radial mount calipers?

A USD fork would be perfect, but I'll start with what I've got, a XJ900 front end, no quite modern I know, but dual disc, shorter than the XV750 and with a "anti-dive" system, and maybe later a USD

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I've got a 2006 R1 rear shock and will design a bracket to make it fit in the XV's frame, as for the rear wheel I'm afraid it will still be a drum brake and a fat tire...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The seat cowl will be 3D printed as a mold for the carbon fiber part.

It still will be a 40 years old cow, but with better brakes and suspension, and most important to me, made by me and one of a kind !

21 - 29 of 29 Posts