Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’m new to the whole motorcycle scene. During the pandemic we all had free time so I decided to pick up a new hobby. Learning very slowly but willing. I picked up a 1980 Suzuki GS750E off Facebook. It didn’t start and the wiring was very messy and decided to rip out all the wiring to see if that might be the issue. And this is where my journey begins. I will be asking a lot of questions and hope those who are willing and able can help me through this build. I’ll add photos with this and excuse the mess in the garage and tools scattered around the floor.
008FFB64-7F75-4600-952D-FBD64B9F60FD.jpeg
28103FAD-03C0-4CC7-A9B4-13501AD30CE5.jpeg

the day I got her.
7144AFD5-34C2-4B45-AA2B-F1614EBC0D48.jpeg

Started ripping up the harness after deciding to go with the M-unit blue.

FA1D5C0C-AEAA-43D6-9C80-29EEA7EC2479.jpeg

And this is the current situation now. Forgive the carbon fiber wrap.. I had extra and decided to mess around with it, but bike will be completely painted after I troubleshoot the no start issue.
Question I had since I’m new to motorcycles and building. Why do my front forks not have anywhere to mount the calipers? Sorry if this is a common sense question. And do I just need to get new front forks from the same model? The guy gave me the brake lever, calipers but nowhere to mount them. I’m assuming I need to replace the front forks?
A4FEE34B-0B27-47A0-9833-5B6810059CDD.jpeg

that concludes my intro and thanks for getting this far and I’ll try and post updates whenever I can.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Your first goal should have been to get it running. The carbs looked like they were mounted when you got it why are they off now? What was wrong with the wiring harness? You're going to spend more on the M unit than the bike is worth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main harness was mostly re-tapped with ridiculously long and wrong color wires. It seemed like a electrical hazard cause the connectors and wires were all worn out. Rather then dealing with it I just decided to go M unit so I can have some less cables. The carb is out because I’m having someone take a look at the carb for me. I’m planning on keep the bike for awhile so I decided to go with the overpriced m-unit. I just didn’t want to have any mishaps with that old harness.

·
Registered
1979 XS750
15 Posts
“Brakes just slow you down in life”
Looks like they ground off the caliper mounts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Hard tail chopper with shaved forks showing up on a cafe racer site with newbie questions... the troll vibe is strong with this one.

Assuming you're not a regular who's just looking to have some fun... there are no caliper mounts because the bike is a chopper, and it's cool to not have front brakes on a chopper. Just like it's cool to not have a rear suspension. Or front fender, but that's a new school "cafe racer" thing too. And cafe racers are pretty much the new choppers so there's that.

I don't mean this as a flame. But if this really is a newbie who just wants to get into bikes, this is a terrible introduction. Fix the wiring, rebuild the carbs, fire the thing up, and you've got a hardtail chopper with no front brakes and horrible ergos to learn how to ride. Plus it will be loud as hell so you can piss off the neighbors while you're figuring out why front brakes are a good thing and hardtails aren't all that when it comes to suspensions.

If this is a style of bike that you are interested in, I'd suggest finding a chopper site to post on. Guys there will have more sympathy for some of the choices the original builder made. (shorty straight pipes, hard tail, no front brakes, horrible ergos, license plate location, tail light and turn signals pointing towards road, that's a seat? etc). It's about as far from the traditional definition of a cafe racer as you can get. That doesn't mean it can't be posted here, but you won't find a whole lot of people interested in that style bike. In days past that thing woul dhave been flamed in a huge way around here.

Decide what you want out of the "motorcycle scene" and then take another look at this project. Is the end result going to be what you really want? The classifieds are littered with bikes where dreams didn't match realities. This bike was someone's dream and still got sold at least once as a non-runner just to get it out of the garage. If this isn't the bike you pictured in your head when you thought about motorcycles, it won't be a great bike to end up with after putting your time and money into it.

By something that runs that you can ride right now. Learn the ropes on that. At the very least, take an MSF course before you devote any time or money to that. If that bike is going to be your introduction to what motorcycles are, you're going to end up with a really warped idea of what motorcycles can be.

Go toss enough crap into the trunk of your car so the rear suspension bottoms out. Then pull out the seat and replace it with a milk crate. Pull the exhaust off as close to the manifold as you can get. Now drive around, but only use the parking brake to slow down. Now imagine that's what you learned to drive in, and is your only car. How much are you liking driving now? Because the bike will be even worse than that.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
If you are going to keep, go figure, then you might want to get a real fabricator to fix the frame. The way it is done should make you question the welders knowledge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are going to keep, go figure, then you might want to get a real fabricator to fix the frame. The way it is done should make you question the welders knowledge.
Yeah I’m having a friend come take a look at it for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hard tail chopper with shaved forks showing up on a cafe racer site with newbie questions... the troll vibe is strong with this one.

Assuming you're not a regular who's just looking to have some fun... there are no caliper mounts because the bike is a chopper, and it's cool to not have front brakes on a chopper. Just like it's cool to not have a rear suspension. Or front fender, but that's a new school "cafe racer" thing too. And cafe racers are pretty much the new choppers so there's that.

I don't mean this as a flame. But if this really is a newbie who just wants to get into bikes, this is a terrible introduction. Fix the wiring, rebuild the carbs, fire the thing up, and you've got a hardtail chopper with no front brakes and horrible ergos to learn how to ride. Plus it will be loud as hell so you can piss off the neighbors while you're figuring out why front brakes are a good thing and hardtails aren't all that when it comes to suspensions.

If this is a style of bike that you are interested in, I'd suggest finding a chopper site to post on. Guys there will have more sympathy for some of the choices the original builder made. (shorty straight pipes, hard tail, no front brakes, horrible ergos, license plate location, tail light and turn signals pointing towards road, that's a seat? etc). It's about as far from the traditional definition of a cafe racer as you can get. That doesn't mean it can't be posted here, but you won't find a whole lot of people interested in that style bike. In days past that thing woul dhave been flamed in a huge way around here.

Decide what you want out of the "motorcycle scene" and then take another look at this project. Is the end result going to be what you really want? The classifieds are littered with bikes where dreams didn't match realities. This bike was someone's dream and still got sold at least once as a non-runner just to get it out of the garage. If this isn't the bike you pictured in your head when you thought about motorcycles, it won't be a great bike to end up with after putting your time and money into it.

By something that runs that you can ride right now. Learn the ropes on that. At the very least, take an MSF course before you devote any time or money to that. If that bike is going to be your introduction to what motorcycles are, you're going to end up with a really warped idea of what motorcycles can be.

Go toss enough crap into the trunk of your car so the rear suspension bottoms out. Then pull out the seat and replace it with a milk crate. Pull the exhaust off as close to the manifold as you can get. Now drive around, but only use the parking brake to slow down. Now imagine that's what you learned to drive in, and is your only car. How much are you liking driving now? Because the bike will be even worse than that.
Like I stated in my introduction, I’m new to this scene. Just because your a lonely bitter old man don’t bring other people down with you. She’s not coming back so stop waiting. Keep your 2 cents to yourself because I’m here to learn and I’m not taking stupid comments from guys that think they’re better and smarter then the rest of the world.

·
Registered
1979 XS750
15 Posts
We NEED the 2 cents from “bitter“ old men, that’s how newbies and us young guys learn. Just take it with some baby aspirin haha!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Like I stated in my introduction, I’m new to this scene. Just because your a lonely bitter old man don’t bring other people down with you. She’s not coming back so stop waiting. Keep your 2 cents to yourself because I’m here to learn and I’m not taking stupid comments from guys that think they’re better and smarter then the rest of the world.
Holy shit, and here I thought was going easy. You got butt hurt from THAT? That is so cute.

Ok, so now we know what we're dealing with. That's good.

Let's start over.

Rock on, bro! You've got this! Fantastic choice of a project to post on a cafe racer forum! The chopper scene has pretty much imploded so a lot of those guys are switching to the "cafe racer" scene now. Your bike is perfect for this forum, it has got kind of a retro, pre-cafe racer chopper neo cafe racer vibe thing going on. Hell yeah!

Yes, if you want to have brakes you need to replace the sliders on those forks. But if you do that, maybe you'll be destroying some of the chopper vibe? Maybe that's ok? The Billy bike had a front brake, but Captain America didn't, which bike was more badass? Your choice, no wrong answers! People argue the Billy bike is more rideable though, right? So I dunno, maybe you could think about what your goals are, you know, where you want to end up in this "motorcycle scene". Is that ok to suggest? I don't mean to question your thought process, you do you! Make it yours, that's the important part!

Don't worry about no rear suspension if you aren't going to ride it far. Yes, there are guys who ride hard tails long distance but a lot of them wear kidney belts and/or piss blood after long rides. There are also some hard cores who ride hardtails day in and day out with no adverse effects. If you are planning on riding it when you're done, you'll find out soon enough which camp you fit in, hard ass or bleeder. No shame if you bleed, it's just a natural reaction from your body being bruised by the constant abuse a hardtail can provide. You'll probably be ok if you never ride more than 100 miles or so in a day. Again, no idea what your vision is but I'm sure you have thought about it and that fits your concept of what it's all about. I don't plan on riding my hard tail anywhere near that, if I ever get it done.

I hope you don't think that's just more bitter old man stupid idea bullshit? Ok, I appreciate your feelings, the are certainly valid. Perhaps you would be interested in just one of the many threads out there on people's experiences riding hard tails? No pressure, read it if you want, totally your choice, your bike, your body. rigid frame , sore kidneys

Is that a lithium battery? Good choice! Weight savings! Do you have a mosfet regulator planned for it? Some websites recommend that, including places that manufacture the batteries. But don't worry about upgrading it, the whole "modern batteries need modern charging systems" theory is probably just bullshit to sell more parts. Lithium batteries rock. Don't worry, if the regulator does fail, it probably won't actually light the bike on fire if/when the battery melts down. It didn't when mine melted down anyway.

More weight savings from the lack of an exhaust system. Cool. I'm sure you'll be able to work out the carb settings with those, anything close will work, more or less, probably. Too lean and it can burn the exhaust valves but that's cool, you can do it. I've never seen a streetbike with drag pipes that runs worth a damn but that doesn't mean anything, you'll get it right I'm sure. It'll be loud as hell of course but if that's part of the vision you'll nail it! Good job!

So to sum up... ringing ears and pissing blood are distinct possibilities if you plan to ride the bike any distance. Or maybe not, you'll find out and it's good either way. You do you. Just a suggestion, but some doctors say that hearing damage is cumulative and you'll reach a point where the ringing in your ears never goes away. But that's probably just more bitter old man shit you shouldn't worry about. You're young. It'll probably be years before you notice it. And it will be gradual, probably. You'll wake up one morning and realize your ears are still ringing, and then it never goes away. Ever. Ask anyone who's been around loud music or loud engines or loud machines for a few years, they'll tell ya. But don't let that bring you down. Rock on!

Good job so far! Keep it up!

But maybe you could consider taking a riding course if you haven't ridden already? Maybe you might get a little better idea what a bike feels like and what you like/don't like about bikes? Heck, it might inspire you to work harder on your awesome cafe racer project. Or chopper. Your choice. And we are here to support every decision you make. If any of the comments upset you in any way, just ignore them, they aren't important. If it isn't positive, it's not valid. You do you!

🏆

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Desmo was being polite. I assure you that the true thoughts on what you have presented have not been posted. From my chair I can't see anything that doesn't need to be changed, except the bars. You're going to be hanging off the seat so they are appropriate.

You are here to learn? The first lesson is that you have made a poor choice. In reality you have a motor that doesn't run, a pair of wheels and tires and handlebars, you are missing everything else. What Desmo suggested, in a very polite way, was to find a different bike. For a newbie this will be an expensive, time eating and frustrating project.

When I was 21 I couldn't believe how stupid my Father was. It amazed me how much he learned in the next 10 years.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I can't believe how much we've mellowed out over the past 5 years...

to reference my signature:

alwhite00;598625 said:

Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
You crack me up DD!! Well done, especially the participation trophy... wish I had one of those.
Thank you for participating! It wouldn't be a thread without you. As comments goes yours is certainly one of them so along with your trophy you get a comment medal!

🥇 🏆

·
Registered
1979 XS750
15 Posts
Bulldozaaa is not coming back is he? Y’all have no problem running people off haha! I haven’t been here long but I’ve seen alot of the 1 post and gone guys. If they really wanted to learn they wouldn’t let you grouchy old guys run them off haha! Can’t get mad after you asked for help...

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm not an expert on politics in the USA, but I reckon this bike would turn any pro-lifer into pro-choice as it really should be aborted.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Bulldozaaa is not coming back is he? Y’all have no problem running people off haha! I haven’t been here long but I’ve seen alot of the 1 post and gone guys. If they really wanted to learn they wouldn’t let you grouchy old guys run them off haha! Can’t get mad after you asked for help...
He did come back but didn't reply.

I swear I wasn't trying to be grouchy in my first reply. I've re-read it and comparing it to a lot of threads here I thought it was pretty tame and not meant as a flame. FFS if anyone should take an MSF course it's someone like him. Best thing ANY aspiring rider could do. The whole fantasy vs reality thing is HUGE in motorcycling IMHO. You can't have any idea what it's like before you do it, and these guys think they can spend time and money building a bike and then learn to ride and it'll all be wonderful. Nope. It'll be failure, 99 times out of 100. A huge amount of the time, the bikes these guys use as inspiration are complete pieces of shit if you actually want to ride. They aspire to bikes that don't work. And have no idea they're doing it.

Even when they are done, if by some quirk of fate they end up with something that moves under it's own power, they have no idea if what it does is "right". I once bought a 900ss that needed shit ton of work, but the seller didn't know that. He had no idea it was running so rich the throttle response was nowhere near what it should be, he thought they all fouled their plugs every 1000 miles. Seriously, he thought that was normal and rode the thing around all fat and happy.

But I'm rambling. Hey newb - Take the MSF course. Buy a bike that runs and learn to ride. Use that bike to learn how bikes work. Then buy some project to have around along with your real bike, cuz that project will never amount to what you imagine it will. There's a learning curve. The first project is never that great bike you've imagined if for no other reason than you don't even know what is possible or realistic.

It's not a fucking Lego version of the Death Star. It's a motorycle. Motorcycles hurt people. That's the dark side you're dealing with. Do what you can to avoid the dark side. Learn all you can before you poke the dark side with a stick by building bikes out of someone else's failed project.

This thread reminds me of an SNL skit from last week.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
He did come back but didn't reply.

I swear I wasn't trying to be grouchy in my first reply. I've re-read it and comparing it to a lot of threads here I thought it was pretty tame and not meant as a flame. FFS if anyone should take an MSF course it's someone like him. Best thing ANY aspiring rider could do. The whole fantasy vs reality thing is HUGE in motorcycling IMHO. You can't have any idea what it's like before you do it, and these guys think they can spend time and money building a bike and then learn to ride and it'll all be wonderful. Nope. It'll be failure, 99 times out of 100. A huge amount of the time, the bikes these guys use as inspiration are complete pieces of shit if you actually want to ride. They aspire to bikes that don't work. And have no idea they're doing it.

Even when they are done, if by some quirk of fate they end up with something that moves under it's own power, they have no idea if what it does is "right". I once bought a 900ss that needed shit ton of work, but the seller didn't know that. He had no idea it was running so rich the throttle response was nowhere near what it should be, he thought they all fouled their plugs every 1000 miles. Seriously, he thought that was normal and rode the thing around all fat and happy.

But I'm rambling. Hey newb - Take the MSF course. Buy a bike that runs and learn to ride. Use that bike to learn how bikes work. Then buy some project to have around along with your real bike, cuz that project will never amount to what you imagine it will. There's a learning curve. The first project is never that great bike you've imagined if for no other reason than you don't even know what is possible or realistic.

It's not a fucking Lego version of the Death Star. It's a motorycle. Motorcycles hurt people. That's the dark side you're dealing with. Do what you can to avoid the dark side. Learn all you can before you poke the dark side with a stick by building bikes out of someone else's failed project.

This thread reminds me of an SNL skit from last week.

"Ignorance is bliss". Absolutely no recognition of the skills required to take a four cylinder wreck, with electrical issues and a pooched frame and make it roadworthy. Watch a couple videos, read a couple BikeFX articles and they have the skillset of a 10,000 hour Trades Person.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Desmo, that video is perfect!!! 😀

1 - 20 of 21 Posts