Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok gang, I'm having some high idle issues on my 82' KZ440 with CV carbs. My idle was perfect until I took a quick run up the Spiral Highway, when i got to the top I noticed my idle was high, around 5k rpm. When I finally got the chance to address it yesterday I thought I had found the culprit and made some adjustments. Started it up and let it get warm and idle was acceptable (approx 1k rpm). On my way to work this morning I again noticed the idle has crept up, by the time I parked it was idling at 4k. Not sure what to think, I know the idle adjustments are snug, not likely that it un-adjusted itself. I am wondering if it could be something like the return spring just isn't springy enough anymore? Any thoughts?

IMG_20190421_084359.jpg

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sticky cable.
I suppose that is possible, haven't replaced that yet. Did the clutch cable last year and the old one had a lot of rust in it, so throttle cable is a good idea to change even just because.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
check for air leaks when warm as well - some parts don't leak when cold, but can introduce a leak as they warm up and expand.
I always keep my eyes open for leaks, haven't seen any yet, but I will be looking a little closer.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
A light oil, I use sewing machine, and a fine oiling can. Disconnect the handlebar end and hold as vertical as possible, touch the tip of the oiler to the cable and you should slowly run down the cable and into the sheath. If that's the problem change the cable, where it's binding there's corrosion and the surface will be rough. Cables are metal on metal, you should lube them once in a while.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went and re-re-adjusted my throttle cable position nuts, idle, etc... it's idling normal now. I will just have to wait and see if it creeps back up again. Inspected the throttle cable, no signs of rust or anything that would cause it to bind, moves freely within its shielding. I do however think I have a fouled plug now. Got caught in a monsoon on my way home from work Friday evening, thinking I somehow got some water sucked into the #1 cylinder. At this point I am putting it up for sale. I love the bike and it has been great for the last few years, but I need it as my daily and I dont have time to tear it down and fix everything properly, nor do I have time to constantly tweak and adjust things.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
water in the cylinder (in small amounts) would clean and decarbonize it, not cause a plug to foul. Water shorting out a coil or an ignition trigger would do that though.
There was enough down poor that this is highly likely

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Idle has held for 2 days with no change so I am happy with that. But yesterday I noticed a change to the exhaust note. Nothing serious, fairly subtle really, but since I ride the damn thing every day, I notice it. Performance of the bike does not feel impacted, still goes from dead stop to 60 like a raped ape. Compression feels a little off, but maybe i'm just being paranoid. I swapped my plugs from side to side, no change to the exhaust note. I think the number 2 cylinder is having a misfire caused by the coil (approx 1 missfire every 20ish clean fires), but I do not have a replacement to verify. That or its just not getting enough spark to create a clean burn. I still need to do a compression test though to make sure there are not more serious issues.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I thought you got rid of that bike :|

Maybe try: Run it in the dark and see if you notice any flames shooting out the exhaust after it misfires.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought you got rid of that bike :|

Maybe try: Run it in the dark and see if you notice any flames shooting out the exhaust after it misfires.
It's up for sale right now. But I still have to ride it everyday so I'd like to make sure it keeps running smoothly until I sell it, then after that its the next suckers... I mean persons problem

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Probably still has problem in coil where HT lead enters. The water has probably broken down insulation and tracking spark has carbon to leak through Pretty sure you'll have to at least pull tank to check. May be worthwhile getting a spare coil before doing anything? Oh, If you have Kei-Hin carbs, take a look and make sure the throttle shaft plugs are in place

1 - 14 of 14 Posts