Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, continuing with the tear down of our bike (xs400) and we pulled the motor out of the frame today, only to find that the bottom left motor mount tab on the motor itself, was broken. is there anyway to fix that, short of a new engine?

·
Registered
306 Posts
it really depends on what you mean by "broken"...but either way it can definitely be welded up and redrilled or tapped. if it just broke off and you have it in your hand, that makes things alot easier, but if its long gone, then you've got to fill in the area, which could take a while (aka: be expensive as hell). i know a place in berkeley that does awesome welding work quickly and for reasonable prices. (they just did a similar job for my friend's sportster. filled, drilled, and tapped for about $100).

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
be sure to check the others for widening out etc. alot of times broken motor mounts can be caused by a loose motor smashing around.

jc

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome.... thanks guys I feel a little better about our predicament. Thanks for the heads up about checking the other ones too...it'd be nice to catch that and fix it early before another one breaks. But yea, I'm going to give the garage another once over, but I think it was long gone before we got to it, 'cuz it was nowhere to be seen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts