Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an excerpt from a post I did on another forum.
Hope this qualifies as Cafe bike material around here!

My bike is NOT going to be a 100 point restoration/show bike. I want it to be styled after a real garage built,shoestring budget racing effort. Almost all the modifications on the bike I'm doing/fabbing myself.

I could bling this thing out since it's so tiny and simple,but these were bikes built for the masses and as play bikes. It just so happen that these things started winning races and NATIONAL races at that!

This was of course due to some very dedicated individuals who took the Hodaka brand farther than anyone could dream of especially for a little "Playbike".

Here is few mock-up pics.

Edited by - coolatula on Oct 24 2007 4:08:11 PM

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have some parts that aren't shown in those pics such as..alloy rims on a CB350 frt. hub (looks/is HUGE compared to the stocker),stock rear hubs(both very cool looking!),homemade aluminum seat pan,vintage Koni shocks,much nicer chrome "Toaster" tank,rear sets and rear brake control mocked up(mounts need welded on)etc.

The plastic tank weighs NOTHING,and it came off a old Suzuki dirt bike(after market part?)the petcocks and even the gas cap are aluminum! It gives the bike a very thin/sleek profile,but it doesn't hold much fuel compared to the stock/replacement tank I have. Plus if I used it I would have to get paint to not only stick to it,but look decent also.

Edited by - coolatula on Oct 19 2007 7:41:45 PM

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks snorkelfork!

Oh and BTW before someone mentions it I KNOW that's a pipe for a fourstroker,but it looked kinda funny with no pipe for the pics.
It WILL be getting a proper under the frame pipe w/expansion chamber.

Edited by - coolatula on Oct 19 2007 7:47:30 PM

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:
that is kinda neat.
Thanks!

When I first tore it down and started doing some mock-up on it it really amazed me how tiny and sleek this bike is. It really looks like someone went back in time and snatched a vintage roadracer off the track.

It honestly LOOKS fast sitting still and if I squinted my eyes just right I could imagine this thing in the twisties or on a tight track laying waste to much bigger and powerful bikes! LOL

·
Registered
687 Posts
to get your photo's to post you have to change the capital IMG's to lower case

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quote:
restore and paint the stock tank.

that is pretty cool!

tex

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto
I have a much nicer chrome "Toaster",large gas cap tank for it that I bought in a package deal with the alloy wheels w/ mounted Dunlop racing tires,Koni shocks,upper triple tree(mine was cracked),extra sprockets,bar controls/cables,electric mini tach. extra set of clubman bars etc.

I got all that stuff from a guy in Florida parting out his Hodaka 125 race bike for $200.00 shipped! The RIMS would have cost me that alone! I owe that guy big time!

I'm going to with a traditional paint job on this one.
The frame is going to be gloss black,tank chrome,bars chrome,shocks black with raw aluminum top/spring adj.,seat upholstery black suede,tail black,rims & hubs raw aluminum,engine-raw aluminum with black cylinder(it's iron),rear sets-raw aluminum,Pipe black,headlight bucket black w/chrome ring,fork sliders chrome unless too far gone then probably black.

All the aluminum will be dulled with Scotch Brite. for a more low key go not show look.

Edited by - coolatula on Oct 20 2007 10:50:17 AM

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
That's a great looking project. I've always liked the dirtbike-to-roadracer/cafe concept.
Build it!

FR

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quote:
That's a great looking project. I've always liked the dirtbike-to-roadracer/cafe concept.
Build it!

FR
I do too if that wasn't obvious! LOL

Ever since I had a Honda CR450(very quick,if only the thing could've hooked up!) I always wanted to convert a dirt on/off road bike to pure road bike without any of the compromises of having off road equipment on it.

I had a Yamaha Enduro 100 a long time ago I wanted to do this to,but it blew up and I just lost interest and sold it to a friend who rebuilt it and used it on his farm.

Edited by - coolatula on Oct 20 2007 11:07:40 AM

·
Registered
278 Posts
You keep teasing me with comments about this mythological chrome toaster you plan to put on the thing. I'm callin your bluff - show it!

A

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
quote:
You keep teasing me with comments about this mythological chrome toaster you plan to put on the thing. I'm callin your bluff - show it!

A
Oh Yeah!!
How's this for a tease..It's not only a chrome Toaster tank,it was off a honest to God Hodaka 125 Road Racer and get this.. it STILL has the A.H.R.M.A. sticker on it!! HA!!

Really it's just a regular large cap(white) stock Hodaka tank not too unlike the rusty one in the pics,but it must have done the job as the guy kept it on his race bike.

Um...Uh.. sorry no pics yet of the sweet ass race parts I got for cheap,but I'll see about draging them out tomorrow and taking some pics and getting them up in a few days(work Monday/Tuesday).

Seriously though I,ve been dragging ass on this project and I really need to at least get the cosmetics and fab work done. The engine is the engine and will get done when I have the money to pour into it.
Over half the build cost will be going into the engine alone as I want
this bike to be a little special.

I want the engine to be done up right with Wiseco forged piston,Piston /port & mill work,Webco head,flat slide carb etc. I want something that's stone cold reliable(for a two stroke),but still make good power for it's displacement.

Hodaka's are overall pretty good power plants,so I don't expect any less from this one. They CAN be improved upon as they were somewhat mild from the factory. The parts available now just like for most vintage bikes are BETTER than what was available back when these things were so popular.

Edited by - coolatula on Oct 20 2007 7:39:19 PM

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
yeah.....i too was trying to get an idea of what this new toaster tank looked like. i believe you have it, i believe it looks cool, i just want to see it, so stop slackin' and take a pic of it.

keep us posted on the project.

cheers,

tex

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sure buddy. I've been meaning to take a few shots of the Vincent I have in my garage too... just been kinda slackin, you know how it is. :)

Haha, just kidding, looking forward to seeing that.

A

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did a rough paint on the frame(no prep/primer) just to get a feel how it would look in gloss black. I also put most of the pieces I got from the Dude in Florida(yes even the Toaster tank).

This is the first time putting every thing on and it was bugging me not seeing the new parts on so I now have a much better picture of what the end product will be. I really like the black much better than red on the frame.

I took a few pics and will get them up in a day or so.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's some pics I am adding. This is with the stock pipe and some of the parts I got from the Dude in Florida(tank,wheels,shocks,upper triple tree,bars).

Edited by - coolatula on Oct 24 2007 4:52:45 PM

1 - 20 of 49 Posts