Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any of you other guys or dolls into homebrewing? it's the cheaper of my two hobbies. i didn't make anything for about a year. then last week i popped a bottle of 1+ year old IPA and was so inspired i decided to re-open the brew operation in my apartment. mmmmmmm, beeeeer. it seems that a few of my brews are aging pretty well, chocolate stout hit two years and still good, honey ale is a year and a half, got a couple others that have been aging too. they keep getting better.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I've brewed a few times. I also recently made a similar post (do a search on "beer"). Dusting off my equipment & getting ready for another go. Got any fantastic recipes you want to share? I must warn you in advance though, I spell beer G-u-i-n-n-e-s-s.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the best way to get started is to find a dedicated homebrewing store in your area. tell them you're new and that you want the basic stuff you need to get started. any homebrewing shop worth their salt will set you up with what you need and maybe a bit of advice and have you out the door about $150 lighter in the pocket. that $150 includes about $110 in reusable equipment. depending on what you make, a 5 gallon batch of beer can cost between $20 and $60. my IPA is about $45 a batch (roughly 2 cases worth, give or take). i LOVE making my own beer. only been at it for a little over 2 years, but i've learned quite a bit. already made honey beers, fruit beers, basic brews, and weird mixes. if there is nobody in your area that can set you up, try northernbrewer.com (based in the twin cities) or let me know. the shop i go to does some web business, but i don't know their site name.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My first batch just recently got to it's drinkable stage and it turned out great. I can't wait to do another and try a different variety.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the first batch is always oh-so-good. my first was a black porter. save a bottle or two and pop 'em in a year. you'll be surprised how good they are. it's also a sign of how good your technique was if they make it. porters and stouts are good for a 1st or 2nd beer. my 2nd was a chocolate stout, turned out pretty good. my chocolate-raspberry porter was pretty kick ass too!!!! that was my 3rd.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts