Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
frame, swingarm, lower triple are painted.
had an unfortunate incident where the clothesline i was hanging parts to paint from came down with my frame on it.

that was pretty sweet.
had to wait 24 hours for the paint to cure before i could sand and get the second coat on.

still, it looks better than ever. i'd post pics, but when i borrowed a camera, i forgot to get the charger.

headed back to detroit this week for a few...next week i'll get the engine in frame and get the wiring started.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
been awhile since i've posted, but the hottest summer on record here, working too many hours at the day job, and my mom's passing in the fall have taken up much of my time.

however, as it cooled off, i've been back at it.

first issue i ran into was timing the cam to the crank. turned out i had the cam sprocket facing the wrong way. once i pulled my head out of my arse, the engine was degreed and pistons clayed to make sure all was a-ok.

then in putting the top end back together, i had to repair some stripped threads. very frustrating.

finally, i was able to get the engine to a point where i could get it back in to the frame.

finally after nearly two years, it's looking like a motorcycle again...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
been awhile since i've posted, but the hottest summer on record here, working too many hours at the day job, and my mom's passing in the fall have taken up much of my time.

however, as it cooled off, i've been back at it.

first issue i ran into was timing the cam to the crank. turned out i had the cam sprocket facing the wrong way. once i pulled my head out of my arse, the engine was degreed and pistons clayed to make sure all was a-ok.

then in putting the top end back together, i had to repair some stripped threads. very frustrating.

finally, i was able to get the engine to a point where i could get it back in to the frame.

finally after nearly two years, it's looking like a motorcycle again...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
one BIG thing i learned is, for as many sl and cb engine parts that are interchangeable, there are many (that are listed as such) that ARE NOT.

basically, the left and right engine covers and clutch/sprocket cover are totally unique to the sl, as are the gaskets. these do not come with your typical cb gasket set, either.

then i found that two of the oil filter cover threads were toasted, on top of a pretty ugly crack repair i found when blasting the part in july. when i looked for a replacement then, all i found were cb examples, or waay overpriced sl's.
i figured i'd see if there was a better one available now, so off to ebay. amazingly, i scored a right oil filter/clutch basket cover and left clutch/sprocket cover off the same bike for cheap in really good shape.

then i set to mounting the rectifier/regulator. i figured under the tank would be stealthy and give me more room under the seat for the other components.
i used some wasted sign stock from work i have stashed in the garage, same material i made the seat pan from (.080 aluminum).

traced a template out of posterboard, and voila!

next step was to get the underseat electrics sorted.

first thing on the agenda was the battery. the one i'd settled on sat slightly above the frame rails, and as i looked into how to mount the seat pan, i realized it wouldn't work.
my roommate is building a killer ducati for next season, and he showed me the new battery he's using. it was much smaller than the gel battery i'd initially wanted to use, and it was powerful enough to crank a 1098. waaay more than i need. so i looked into something similar, but less power and $$$.

i settled on a shorai lithium iron battery, perfectly rated for my bike, less than a pound, fits PERFECTLY in the tray i made and sits exactly how i wanted.

next was to make a tray out of aluminum that would hide everything and look trick.
too bad i don't have a metal brake, my first attempt with hand tools took me the better part of a saturday afternoon, and i broke one of the 90-degree bends...
so, back to the drawing board to see what i could come up with.

i ended up making a flat piece that mounts the ignition module on the underside between the seat rails facing down. it'll fit the module and a fuse, along with helping secure the battery.

(i hadn't finished modifying the battery tray in these pics)

i'll be using rivnuts to mount the tray and the seat pan.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
one BIG thing i learned is, for as many sl and cb engine parts that are interchangeable, there are many (that are listed as such) that ARE NOT.

basically, the left and right engine covers and clutch/sprocket cover are totally unique to the sl, as are the gaskets. these do not come with your typical cb gasket set, either.

then i found that two of the oil filter cover threads were toasted, on top of a pretty ugly crack repair i found when blasting the part in july. when i looked for a replacement then, all i found were cb examples, or waay overpriced sl's.
i figured i'd see if there was a better one available now, so off to ebay. amazingly, i scored a right oil filter/clutch basket cover and left clutch/sprocket cover off the same bike for cheap in really good shape.

then i set to mounting the rectifier/regulator. i figured under the tank would be stealthy and give me more room under the seat for the other components.
i used some wasted sign stock from work i have stashed in the garage, same material i made the seat pan from (.080 aluminum).

traced a template out of posterboard, and voila!

next step was to get the underseat electrics sorted.

first thing on the agenda was the battery. the one i'd settled on sat slightly above the frame rails, and as i looked into how to mount the seat pan, i realized it wouldn't work.
my roommate is building a killer ducati for next season, and he showed me the new battery he's using. it was much smaller than the gel battery i'd initially wanted to use, and it was powerful enough to crank a 1098. waaay more than i need. so i looked into something similar, but less power and $$$.

i settled on a shorai lithium iron battery, perfectly rated for my bike, less than a pound, fits PERFECTLY in the tray i made and sits exactly how i wanted.

next was to make a tray out of aluminum that would hide everything and look trick.
too bad i don't have a metal brake, my first attempt with hand tools took me the better part of a saturday afternoon, and i broke one of the 90-degree bends...
so, back to the drawing board to see what i could come up with.

i ended up making a flat piece that mounts the ignition module on the underside between the seat rails facing down. it'll fit the module and a fuse, along with helping secure the battery.

(i hadn't finished modifying the battery tray in these pics)

i'll be using rivnuts to mount the tray and the seat pan.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
next was to mount the coils and start on the wiring harness.

i've drilled some holes to route wiring through the frame, and i've got some small clips to route it hidden neatly along the frame where i can't run it internally.

getting there...

i still need to drill the frame and hide the rear brake switch wiring, run wiring for the headlight/switch, taillight, front brake switch, fuse and ignition switch.
i have a really cool idea for the ignition switch i hope i can pull off. i'll keep it to myself until i see if it'll work.

i'm ordering the rest of the odds and ends i need to finish the bike at the end of the week...headlight/taillight, assorted switches, stainless for the exhaust, etc.

still need to install the new brake shoes and center the front wheel. also have to repair one of the exhaust stud threads, clean out the gas tank, carbs and petcock, etc.

there's a slim chance i could attempt to start it this weekend, if i get cracking! [:0]

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
next was to mount the coils and start on the wiring harness.

i've drilled some holes to route wiring through the frame, and i've got some small clips to route it hidden neatly along the frame where i can't run it internally.

getting there...

i still need to drill the frame and hide the rear brake switch wiring, run wiring for the headlight/switch, taillight, front brake switch, fuse and ignition switch.
i have a really cool idea for the ignition switch i hope i can pull off. i'll keep it to myself until i see if it'll work.

i'm ordering the rest of the odds and ends i need to finish the bike at the end of the week...headlight/taillight, assorted switches, stainless for the exhaust, etc.

still need to install the new brake shoes and center the front wheel. also have to repair one of the exhaust stud threads, clean out the gas tank, carbs and petcock, etc.

there's a slim chance i could attempt to start it this weekend, if i get cracking! [:0]

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
update:

pics later, been busy working and not documenting.

got the valves set, cam chain tensioner adjusted, oil in the engine; little stuff getting ready to fire it for the first time.

thought i fragged the boretech ignition. i went to static time the bike, and the LED on the module was on continuously. thought there might be debris on the rotor, which sure enough, there was. small metal shavings from drilling the frame for the coil mounts. i'd even placed rags over the top of the engine, but...

reinstalled the ignition, now no LED whatsoever. thinking i might have shorted the pickups.
contacted boretech via the form on their site. didn't hear back after a few days, so i wrote probe engineering directly. got a reply in an hour!

sent the ignition back to mark at probe. turns out, there was nothing wrong with it. it must have had a component from another ignition kit accidentally swapped when sent from boretech; the pickup and module were from slightly different versions, and incompatible (this version was produced in 2006-2007). i should see it back on wednesday.

got my front brake lining cleaned up and new shoes on, front wheel centered. next step is to mount the fork brace and make a brake stay.

need to replace the rear brake shoes, clean up the hub and sprocket, buy some hardware for the rear brake lever and footpeg mounting bracket.
also need a cable adjuster screw for the front brake lever, it's magura and uses a different thread than all my spares.

stock exhaust pipes are on for now. need to take care of a few bills before buying the stainless for the new setup.

got the carbs disassembled and ready to chem-dip, along with the petcock. tank is ready for rust treatment inside.

figured out a cool ignition switch. just need to finish up some wiring.
hoping to attempt starting it next weekend!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
aaargh!!!

rear brake pivot bolt came in the mail. got it all put together, only to find that the cb rear brake lever won't clear the sl bottom end. there's no room for it to pivot forward.

so i need to research solutions. i could grind, cut and weld the cb to (hopefully) work, or maybe i can use an sl lever...i know the frames are different between cb and sl, but i don't know exactly what differs. can i use the sl lever (will it clear the frame, does it mount in the same way, same spot)?

so, these are things to sort before it rolls, but...made decent progress nonetheless.

got the carbs disassembled, chem-dipped, all back together ready to go. same with the petcock. also filled the gas tank with muriatic acid and nuts and bolts, got it all cleaned out and filled up with gas.

installed the ignition and static timed the bike.

all that's left to do today is get the wiring completely sorted. hopefully, i'll report back tonight with video of it running! in the meantime, my roomie got his hybrid 796/1098 racebike fired for the first time. totally inspiring, hope you enjoy.

and yes, that is in the front room of the house, connected to the desktop computer since he doesn't have a laptop. can you say LOUD?!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
aaargh!!!

rear brake pivot bolt came in the mail. got it all put together, only to find that the cb rear brake lever won't clear the sl bottom end. there's no room for it to pivot forward.

so i need to research solutions. i could grind, cut and weld the cb to (hopefully) work, or maybe i can use an sl lever...i know the frames are different between cb and sl, but i don't know exactly what differs. can i use the sl lever (will it clear the frame, does it mount in the same way, same spot)?

so, these are things to sort before it rolls, but...made decent progress nonetheless.

got the carbs disassembled, chem-dipped, all back together ready to go. same with the petcock. also filled the gas tank with muriatic acid and nuts and bolts, got it all cleaned out and filled up with gas.

installed the ignition and static timed the bike.

all that's left to do today is get the wiring completely sorted. hopefully, i'll report back tonight with video of it running! in the meantime, my roomie got his hybrid 796/1098 racebike fired for the first time. totally inspiring, hope you enjoy.

and yes, that is in the front room of the house, connected to the desktop computer since he doesn't have a laptop. can you say LOUD?!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs!

(can you tell i'm stoked?!) :)

got footage of the very first start, but don't have the cable to connect the camera to the computer until tomorrow. video to follow.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs! it runs!

(can you tell i'm stoked?!) :)

got footage of the very first start, but don't have the cable to connect the camera to the computer until tomorrow. video to follow.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
pics of the weekend's progress...

setting the static timing with the probe ignition.

my hand is killing me from crimping, and i've got as few wires as you can get away with! can't imagine redoing a whole stock harness.

heat shrink tubing totally makes the OCD part of my brain very happy.

i know i'm supposed to be concentrating on the task at hand, but in the back of my mind, all that i can think of is getting it started tonight.

closer...

i had to snag a couple plug wires off my truck to start it, the carbs aren't synced yet, need to final dial-in the timing with a strobe, etc., but goddam did it sound sweet to hear that thing run!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
pics of the weekend's progress...

setting the static timing with the probe ignition.

my hand is killing me from crimping, and i've got as few wires as you can get away with! can't imagine redoing a whole stock harness.

heat shrink tubing totally makes the OCD part of my brain very happy.

i know i'm supposed to be concentrating on the task at hand, but in the back of my mind, all that i can think of is getting it started tonight.

closer...

i had to snag a couple plug wires off my truck to start it, the carbs aren't synced yet, need to final dial-in the timing with a strobe, etc., but goddam did it sound sweet to hear that thing run!

21 - 40 of 65 Posts