Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
quote:Originally posted by champ

i commend you on not reving the shit out of it on the 1st start up!!
thanks! to tell you the truth, i was so excited, i may have over-revved it a little bit.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
post-weekend update:

lots of little things i've been learning regarding a full reassembly...(and my first bike was a '68 bonneville that came mostly in a box)

if the gearshift assembly isn't positioned just right, it won't upshift. had me thinking there was a transmission issue until i tried moving it a spline or two.

taller tires require a longer chain.

SL clutch ass'y/sprocket cover is deeper, requiring longer bolts. clutch cable is on, clutch adjuster assembly is all cleaned/setup.

got the carbs synced and set so it will idle. then i was able to dial in the timing with a light. got the full advance timing set, then dialed in the idle timing on the ignition module. very cool!

checked the oil flow to the head via the block-off bolt, all is good.

it sounds really good, nice throttle response off-idle. can't wait to take it for a test ride...waiting on payday for a new front brake cable, assorted hardware, etc.

looking into converting my rear to a cable-pull. scouring innernets for info and related parts.

also came up with a solid idea for the seat. need to get some thicker foam block for the base (got a roll of HQ neoprene for the top layer), then i can get it shaped and off to the upholsterer asap.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
made some more progress...

some of the material and tools i was working with. real rudimentary stuff. especially the shorter, dull carving knife.

i bought a couple squares of cushion foam and some adhesive from the fabrics store. i bought two in case i screwed up the first attempt.

i roughed out a shape. you can see where i drew a few different ideas for the shape of the rear section.

at this point, i've started smooth shaping it with a scotch-pad on a rotary tool (thanks, roomie!). waaay too time consuming and messy. but it's starting to take shape.

i spent a good amount of time coming up with a shape that would raise the back end up a bit visually, and also compliment the lines already established by the bike.

i contoured the edges and did a check on the bike to see how it came out.

it's not mounted, so it's a little skewed in this pic, but you get the idea...

overall, i'm really happy with how it came out. i'll take it to a shop for a final shaping and upholstery. just have to figure out the mounts first.

still have to arc the front shoes and dial in that brake, make sure the forks are nice and straight and drill and mount the fork brace.

but, yeah, it's rolling under it's own power!

it's got a 17t countersprocket (did all SL's come with this gearing?), coupled with my stock 36t rear. you'd think it'd be a dog down low, but it's surprisingly torquey. i further synced the carb slides, and it was fun to blast around my neighborhood, which has lots of hills and curves.

still lots of little things to do, lights, mufflers, paint, etc., but it was such a kick-ass feeling to ride it and have it actually run really, really good (so far!) shit-tons more get-up and go than my old set-up. sounds farking mean with no mufflers!

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
What did you do for a torque arm on that front brake? I can't see one in any of the pictures. Obviously it can't be ridden much without mufflers - what are your plans for mufflers that fit in with the sixties MX look?

And as a final Q. Is there enough clearance with those shocks. It looks like you could run out of clearance but pics can sometime deceive.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
quote:Originally posted by Teazer

What did you do for a torque arm on that front brake? I can't see one in any of the pictures. Obviously it can't be ridden much without mufflers - what are your plans for mufflers that fit in with the sixties MX look?

And as a final Q. Is there enough clearance with those shocks. It looks like you could run out of clearance but pics can sometime deceive.
the front brake cable isn't hooked up in those pics. i used the brake stay from the 350 front drum, just had to rotate the assembly to fit.

i have two sets of mufflers that look like crap on the bike...i was hoping to be able to use a pair while i get the exhaust i want built sorted, but i'm not happy with either of them.

i know these engines need a certain type of exhaust design to perform optimally, and that's my main goal, but aesthetics/sound are also important.
i'm more looking for a resonator, not an actual 'muffler'.

i'd like to run as close to straight pipes as possible, like the TT pipes on my old bonneville, but from what i've read, they make the engine run like crap.
i saw a racing exhaust setup made in england that was really cool, 2-2 TT pipes run under the bike, muffler turnouts just before the rear wheel. that would be pretty cool, but i can't remember/find the site for the maker, and they were stupidly expensive with the exchange rate.

so, still figuring out exhaust.

final Q, shock clearance...funny you mention that, i'm looking for a decent set of hagons for a cb750 at the moment. clearance isn't too bad (fender is hammered under seat, shocks set to firmest settings), probably about 3.5" from tire to fender, but i want the back raised up to get the look and stance right, and the clearance as well.

anyone want to trade my 350 hagons for your 750s? :)

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
A longer torque arm may make it easier to get a brake cable that fits and would create a much shorter run.

On the mufflers, you might be able to modify the pipes to run under the motor like your old T120 TT pipes and fit a pair of straight through mufflers. That would certainly work well for the look you're creating.The exhaust system would still be a little short but for street riding it might be OK. You could get really clever and do a set of pipes like the set that Craig Vetter designed for the T140. They look like a pair of small individual mufflers but it was actually a larger single can IIRC.

A small dual entry car muffler might be modifiable, or grab a pair of cheap mufflers, split then down the center lines and weld in a top and bottom section and change the baffles internally to make use of the extra volume. Honda did something similar on the 400 Hawk with a resonant chamber, but they had a muffler after that.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
quote:Originally posted by Teazer

A longer torque arm may make it easier to get a brake cable that fits and would create a much shorter run.
i pulled the front wheel off, and the bolt i used off of the 350 drum mounting the arm at the hub was waaaay too long. it actually cocked the shoe out, wearing the surface unevenly.

i had to arc the shoes anyway, so i sanded them even and cleaned and assembled everything, cleaned up the drum liner and scuffed it with sandpaper in a 'X' pattern (a cool trick i gleaned from the honda twins forum).

rotated the backing assembly until the cable had the most natural travel with no kinks or extreme bends, tightened the axle with the brake applied, measured and made a new torque arm. it looks good, very nearly parallel to the cable path and rod connecting the levers on the drum.

i also followed the advice from a thread i posted in technical regarding fitting the 350 cable to the 450 brake. i carefully dremeled the ferrule at the lever to reduce the outer diameter, so it would fit snug in the adjuster. worked like a charm!

took the bike for a test ride in my neighborhood, and the brakes were great.

next step is to mount the fork brace, i could feel a little wobble from the fork legs when i leaned into an easy downhill right curve at speed. reminded me of the old bonnie without a front fender or brace. not something i want to replicate on this build.

i also bought a set of pipes that i can modify to come up with a TT style exhaust. dunno if you've seen those 'chopper/bobber cb360 TT pipes' on ebay from muskegon, michigan, but if you go to their site (brosmfg.com), they have a set for "CT350" (mislabeled, the bike pictured is a CL) in mild steel for pretty cheap that look perfect for a start. they already have a pretty close bend and routing to what i'm looking for, i figure it will be easier to modify these than to do them from scratch myself.

also, been thinking about just having some spacers machined to extend my shocks to exactly the height i'm looking for. cheaper than buying a new pair, and i get a little more wiggle room as to setting the proper height. need to speak to roomie and see if he can access his dad's machine shop.

pictures to follow, was too busy cleaning up the garage after all was said and done to snap any yesterday.

thanks for all the input

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
quote:Originally posted by trepanned23

That thing sounds nice. Put some number plates on it, tape off the glass and grid up in a production class.
+1
:)

that would be pretty amazing, but there's not really any vintage racing down here. CMRA is the biggie. both roomies race with them. first race of the season was this past weekend near houston.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
found a cool old pic of a CL racer. funny how close it is to what i'm trying to accomplish.

anybody have any stories/info about ron peck? just found his blog and site... that was his bike.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
it isn't finished yet, but there was a rockers vs. mods get-together last weekend, and it was right outside my neighborhood, so the roomie and i rode over.

neither of our bikes are street legal, mine needs a headlight and registration, his is a race bike, but all we had to do was cross the street.

his bike got a LOT of attention. mine didn't do too bad, either.

this pic came from someone there, posted to a pal's facebook page:

still have to finish the seat cover; got the first try in practice fabric done, just need to tweak a few things before i commit to leather.

lots of little stuff still to deal with. have to sand and smooth the right side engine cover, finish the exhaust, dial in the jetting, finish painting the tank, a few other little tweaks here and there...but it's running pretty good as i shake it down.

should be about finished by the time the lonestar roundup happens.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Whats up with your exhaust? Looks like you just got a fresh one done up. 2into2?.. but the front headers look like they converge at the bottom...

X-pipe?

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jackshite

found a cool old pic of a CL racer. funny how close it is to what i'm trying to accomplish.

anybody have any stories/info about ron peck? just found his blog and site... that was his bike.
I know nothing about that bike but seats are almost exactly what I'm doing with one of my 378cc CB360's
I think I may make a tank after seeing the pic :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
quote:Originally posted by YucA

Whats up with your exhaust? Looks like you just got a fresh one done up. 2into2?.. but the front headers look like they converge at the bottom...

X-pipe?
2-2 TT-style, no X. still need to cut the turnouts and weld them kicking up to mount the mufflers. also may need to modify the pipes where they go into the head, or space them out a bit, the bends are pretty tight and i don't think they're seated optimally.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
quote:I know nothing about that bike but seats are almost exactly what I'm doing with one of my 378cc CB360's
I think I may make a tank after seeing the pic :D
pj, let me know, i'd take one! :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
haven't posted in a while...spent most of march getting ready to move. the new place doesn't have a garage, but a good pal was generous enough to offer space in his shop.

pretty nondescript...

but some cool stuff in there! always inspiring...

moving in...

need to get some pics since i've got my space a little more set-up. the shop has been organized and straightened up, too.
it was crazy in there leading up to the big annual traditional hot rod show a few weeks ago.

i finally got some work done on the bike.

first thing was to add padding to the seat. i initially used cushion foam, which is too soft.

i used race-seat padding in three layers, so it will have plenty of support.

i'm taking it to a guy who does hot rod interiors to stitch the cover tonight after work. hopefully, we can use an old pair of motorcycle leathers i took apart for the material.

i also ordered a headlight and some other odds and ends i need to finish the bike. if i can get the exhaust welded up and finished this weekend, i'm on target for having it on the road by the end of next week.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts