Cafe Racer Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
nuts! seat guy says i need to remake the padding sans cushion foam. *but*, he did say i would be able to use the old leathers for the cover.

i'm just going to make a new seat pan and completely start from scratch. same shape and contours, just better executed.

lots to do this weekend...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
nuts! seat guy says i need to remake the padding sans cushion foam. *but*, he did say i would be able to use the old leathers for the cover.

i'm just going to make a new seat pan and completely start from scratch. same shape and contours, just better executed.

lots to do this weekend...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
got the exhaust tacked and test-fitted to check for clearance.

still need to tweak this side just a little.

it'll be a cinch to mount them at the rear passenger peg brackets. going with baffles and just the straight pipes. need to dial in jetting. i mocked up several different muffler types and couldn't find any that looked 'right'.

took it for a few-mile test ride to the gas station once i had the brake light wired. it was my first long-ish ride at speed. with the larger countersprocket, it's plenty fast without even getting into the higher revs. i'd estimate near 60 in 5th without getting to the fun part of the throttle.

need to finish up the exhaust and get it painted, finish sanding the side cover, get the new seat built and padded and off to the upholsterer, make a bracket to mount the headlight, and get a mirror on it.
also need a little longer chain and some fork gators, some covers for the upper fork tubes, get the other tank welded and painted, get longer shocks and a 450 front end, etc., etc., etc...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
got the exhaust tacked and test-fitted to check for clearance.

still need to tweak this side just a little.

it'll be a cinch to mount them at the rear passenger peg brackets. going with baffles and just the straight pipes. need to dial in jetting. i mocked up several different muffler types and couldn't find any that looked 'right'.

took it for a few-mile test ride to the gas station once i had the brake light wired. it was my first long-ish ride at speed. with the larger countersprocket, it's plenty fast without even getting into the higher revs. i'd estimate near 60 in 5th without getting to the fun part of the throttle.

need to finish up the exhaust and get it painted, finish sanding the side cover, get the new seat built and padded and off to the upholsterer, make a bracket to mount the headlight, and get a mirror on it.
also need a little longer chain and some fork gators, some covers for the upper fork tubes, get the other tank welded and painted, get longer shocks and a 450 front end, etc., etc., etc...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
exhaust is welded.

i'm happy with the results. fit is good, just need to make some baffles. don't want to quiet it down, really. just slow the exhaust and give some backpressure.

also made a first-draft template to mount the headlight. need to tweak it to get the positioning right.

pulled the right-side cover, checked and cleaned the oil filter, stripped the factory silver off the cover and sanded/scotch-brited, changed the oil.

need in install/wire the headlight switch in the bucket, make the bracket and mount it.
also need to find a suitable mirror. the first one i bought interfered with the clutch lever and looked like crap. the new one i just received from dime city sucked, the expansion sleeve just turns in the bar before it expands enough to get properly tight. and it looks more crappy 'billet' in person than on the site. so, still looking...

the plan is to get the seat done over the weekend, so i can get it to the upholsterer monday. also need to get a longer chain asap.

ever closer...

61 - 65 of 65 Posts