Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this in hopes that others will share some photos and a few details of their Ascot builds (or even if its stock).

I just got my first motorcycle (actually haven't even picked it up yet).

Its a 1983 Honda Ascot FT500 with 9000 original miles. It has a few aftermarket things already including exhaust, shorter mirrors, shorter carbon fiber turn signals and the paint was changed a little.

I will most likely ride it as is but I can not leave anything alone. I am interested in a CBR600 front end as my first upgrade.

Edit: Yes I am looking to make this into some what of a cafe style bike. I am new to anything cafe thats not from my highschool lunch room. What could I do to give this bike a subtle cafe look?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
L4NE4, that’s nice dude [^]!! Like the blinkers!! Looks clean!! That bike is good to go. Just keep up with your reg maintenance. Their a real blast to ride… Ya gonna like it!

P.S IMO I would keep the flat tracker look[^]. You have a nice looking bike there.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
L4NE4, that’s nice dude [^]!! Like the blinkers!! Looks clean!! That bike is good to go. Just keep up with your reg maintenance. Their a real blast to ride… Ya gonna like it!

P.S IMO I would keep the flat tracker look[^]. You have a nice looking bike there.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I'll post up some pictures tomorrow. Mine is an 82. I have CBR wheels on it with a single Shadow front disc. I had to thin the caliper mount about 1/4 inch to align the caliper and disc. A NT650 Hawk front wheel and disc should actually fit a little better, maybe. I have CBR600F4i rearsets and CB700SC Nighthawk rear shocks. I also have a CB350 round headlight on it.

Ken

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I'll post up some pictures tomorrow. Mine is an 82. I have CBR wheels on it with a single Shadow front disc. I had to thin the caliper mount about 1/4 inch to align the caliper and disc. A NT650 Hawk front wheel and disc should actually fit a little better, maybe. I have CBR600F4i rearsets and CB700SC Nighthawk rear shocks. I also have a CB350 round headlight on it.

Ken

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Do nothing to it. Ride it, as is, and enjoy it for what it is.

This is the same motor that was in GB500, no? If it is, it's a tombstone until you spool it up - nothing in lower RPM range, 5,000-ish IIRC, then the fun begins.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts

This is the same motor that was in GB500, no? If it is, it's a tombstone until you spool it up - nothing in lower RPM range, 5,000-ish IIRC, then the fun begins.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Judeyramone

Judey,
Entirely different motor from the GB. The Ascot uses essentially the same motor as the 79-82 xl and xr 500. The Ascot motor with a stock airbox and pipe is fairly anemic in the entire RPM range, but comes alive with very little work.

Ken

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Judeyramone

Judey,
Entirely different motor from the GB. The Ascot uses essentially the same motor as the 79-82 xl and xr 500. The Ascot motor with a stock airbox and pipe is fairly anemic in the entire RPM range, but comes alive with very little work.

Ken

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I have the stock airbox on mine right now except I cut the stupid snorkle of of it and that just left a round tapered hole. I also made my exhaust baffle removable and derestricted it some. My jetting is a little lean at the moment, but ridable. If you want a little more intake noise then replacing the air box with a big K&N clamp on filter works pretty well, but you will have to rejet the carb. I have never run one of those F1 slip on exhausts and generally they did not have a reputation for making much power, but the stock exhaust is really quite bad, so it can't hurt. The Ascot does respond well to a bigger carb. I haven't decided what to do with mine at the moment, but do have a Supertrapp race pipe and big flatslide Mikuni sitting here if I can deal with the noise.

Ken

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I have the stock airbox on mine right now except I cut the stupid snorkle of of it and that just left a round tapered hole. I also made my exhaust baffle removable and derestricted it some. My jetting is a little lean at the moment, but ridable. If you want a little more intake noise then replacing the air box with a big K&N clamp on filter works pretty well, but you will have to rejet the carb. I have never run one of those F1 slip on exhausts and generally they did not have a reputation for making much power, but the stock exhaust is really quite bad, so it can't hurt. The Ascot does respond well to a bigger carb. I haven't decided what to do with mine at the moment, but do have a Supertrapp race pipe and big flatslide Mikuni sitting here if I can deal with the noise.

Ken

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
So, what motor was in GB500? I remember reading at the time that it was a re-purposed MX 500... and this one looks similar. My brother had one (GB500) but that was 10+ yrs ago, and I don't remember anymore. What I do remember is that it was a dud until one wrung it's neck. Once spooled up, it was kinda fun - small, light... reasonable power when properly prodded. Something in the back of my mind says 4,500 was the magic number on the tach.

We drove to Ludington at 4:00am (I had a truck, he didn't), took the ferry to Green Bay, and the seller met us with the bike. My brother had never had a bike... he took a test ride - would have bought whatever seller brought with him, knowing no better. At the time my daily ride was the '72 Bonneville. Time came for me to have a spin... FAIL.

... until I realized it didn't produce Triumph torque. Once properly wound up, it was a fun bike. We got back home well after midnight.

My thoughts on this Ascot, are to do everything possible to lighten it up and improve braking & suspension if needed. It's a nice looking ride as is.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts