Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am kinda new to this Cafe thing but I bought a 1975 CL 360 from a friend. I like the bike and was wondering what is different between the CL and the CB can I use most parts off of a CB or not? I also want to know if anyone has a used set of Mikuni slide carbs for sale Otherwise someone will have to help me get these cv carbs in tune. any help would be awesome

You meet the fastest racers on a Honda

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
off the top of my head the cl was the scrambler version of the 360 while the cb was the street version. A scambler is an off road street bike, built to compete in scrambles which don't exist today. its modern equalivent is a dual sport. AS far as cb and cl 360s go I belive the motors and the chassis are primarily the same. The wheels may be different, the exhaust, controls, bars, etc are all different, but fundamentality they are the same motorcycle. The best way to know what interchanges with the bikes is to get the parts microfiches for both and see what parts numbers cross over.

Just to be clear the 350 and 360 are completely different bikes and very little will interchange between the two, espically motor parts. If you own a 360 stay away from 350 parts, cb or otherwise.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
geet,

you wrote: "built to compete in scrambles which don't exist today."

ahrma still runs hare scrambles.

trev,

geet is right on with the cl and cb designations. the cv carbs aren't bad at all. google keyster. they are in canada and have complete rebuild kits for the cv carbs. take them all apart and check everything.

does the bike run? what mods are you attempting to make? fill us gossipy whores in........

peace,

tex

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
geet,

you wrote: "built to compete in scrambles which don't exist today."

ahrma still runs hare scrambles.
Wow, they do?!!??!! I thought scrambles went the way of the dodo. When I was just reaching bike riding age it was the late 80s and nobody was doing scrambles anymore, It had all evolved into MX. We still had a few illegal and unsanctioned scrambles in the Port Washington sand pits using whatever bikes we could find/scrounge/steal but I always thought real scrambles were something I would only see in on any sunday. Glad to see they are still around.

Racer,

As far as cv carbs are concerned they are actually easier to tune than the conventional carbs because they rely on engine vacuum rather than screw adjustments. As far as they keyster kits go, usually you will end up using all the rubber from it and keeping your old stock honda hardware. The most important thing about a cv carb is the diaphram so make sure yours is in good shape (no holes, not brittle). outside influences on vaccum have more of an effect on cv carbs so make sure the intake rubbers are in good shape, not cracked or leaking air. Also try to keep the stock airbox until the engine is tuned.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok to clear everything up the bike runs not very well but it runs. I took the carbs all apart took out and blew out all the jets all the rubber is in good shape. To answer the mod questions I want to make it look like a race bike but I still need it to be street legal. I might do some engine mods but mostly I am going for the cafe racer look. I am only 17 and bought this bike when I was 16 and messed with it a little bit but now its going for a compleate tear down. I also need some help finding a seat. Any help would be awesome.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OOh sorry forgot to add this but I dont have any airbox that came with the bike. Any help on findint one of them would also be a big help.

·
Registered
434 Posts
As far as the "scrambles" part of this dialogue goes, they may have called that bike a scrambler (and a bunch of other ones, too), but all it is, is basically a street bike with some scrambler cues, way to big and ungainly to be competitive, but you knew that....

Sorry,
dgy

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a CB 360. All parts are interchangeable but some parts are different. The only difference in the motor is the cams. The CL cams were tuned for a little more low end, and the CB for high end power. I think this only resulted in 1 hp difference (33 vs 34). I have airboxes for mine, one is original, one is brand new. I'm not planning on using them and will happilly sell them. If you wanted to switch to a low exhaust I believe you will also want new sidecovers. The left cover on the cl's is cut away for the exhaust. I will also sell the covers. They are a dark orangy bronze. 30 bucks shipped for all of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I am most interested in the airbox. my sidecovers are in prestine shape and I am going to do 2 into 1 custom exhaust where the stock exhaust was. What would you want for just the airbox?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok now does anyone have any info on a seat? Nothing fancy I just am sick of the giant foam ass conforming one I have. Plus its got a rip in it but the black duct tape works wonders

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Hi Trev,
As far as the seat goes, here is what I did on my race bike. It is a CB350 and Ahrma rules for one of my classes mandates the OEM seat base. I cut the hinge pivots off the frame and unbolted the mates from the seat pan. I then removed the cover and the foam and split the pan down the center lengthwise. Next, I overlapped the 2 seat pan halves until the width matched the frame rails. I pop rivited the pan back together, trimmed the foam to fit and contour and reinstalled the original cover. It was free and really cleans up the look.
Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking more of the fiberglass race seats that fit the width of the frame rails. Your idea sounds like a good one though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts