Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy

I have a 1971 Honda cb350 Two cylinder that is modified and Café'd out and stuff

I am having problems with the wiring done by the previous owner( original builder) of the bike. He stripped all electrical and original battery so it is overly simplified. Everything works fine Headlight, tachometer and illumination, and brake light. He converted the old battery to function on a Home security system battery which is a 12 volt 5 amp. I cant keep the motorcycle running or driving for very long as the battery dies over a very short period of use. I am confused on what is the g'damn problem whether its the Rectifier or the headlight is dumping all the battery and draining it.

feed back from people that know what they're doing more than me

cheers

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Yep - get a multimeter and check the voltage at the battery terminals whilst it's running. You should have 13.5 to 14.5 volts at 5k rpm.

Also, check the wattage of your headlight bulb - I think the 350's only ran a 35w bulb, so if it's a 55 or larger then that could be the problem. Especially with a small battery.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i don't think the standby alarm batteries are capable of running a motorbike long term, they seem to crap out after a while, even if everything else is fine. XS400 Flat Tracker burned through a few anyway.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
I put a 6v alarm battery in my XT500. I gave it a try after boiling 2 wet cell bike batteries dry. It worked very well.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I agree with Ichiban - figure out your wiring and draw a diagram. It's the best way to find the problem.

I have a stripped-down C360 without a battery - everything runs straight off the alternator with a "battery eliminator" (which is just a large capacitor). I made my own diagram and it might work for you as a starting point.

Go to Cafe Racers, Cafe Bike, roadracers, motorcycles, Ace Scott King, ProjectVF and click on the wiring diagram pic and it will open a pdf with the drawing. Print it out and start tracing your wires. It's not the most glamorous task in the world, but will pay off in many ways.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts