Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm based on the Sunshine Cost, Australia and I am looking to fit Honda CBR600 forks to my CX500.

I have read that this has been done before.

Can anyone tell me how to go about this what parts I will need etc and where I might buy them from.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Not sure which CBR you are talking about - they've made them non stop since 1988 so there's many different types.

A guy on this board put and entire Hyosung GT650 front end on his CX - search up user SteveF - he had a whole build thread over here a while back.

I'm based on the Sunshine Cost, Australia and I am looking to fit Honda CBR600 forks to my CX500.

I have read that this has been done before.

Can anyone tell me how to go about this what parts I will need etc and where I might buy them from.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the information. I will look up SteveF.

I don't mind what front end goes on the CX.

Do you know where I might buy parts from?

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Thanks very much for the information. I will look up SteveF.

I don't mind what front end goes on the CX.

Do you know where I might buy parts from?
eBay is probably your best bet nowadays - most of the wreckers have shut down.

It is far easier to fit an entire front end than to try and buy bits and pieces and make them fit. That way your only real concern is changing the stem bearings, steering stops and maybe a shim or spacer for the stem.

Here's Steve F's thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/project-builds/19376-my-cx500.html

Bugger - looks like all the pics have gone with the PhotoBucket money grab.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I don't know if he has an account here but I did a set of 2004 CBR600 forks for Neevo about (?) 10 years ago when it was much more difficult. It was cheaper at the time to get e-bay forks sent to me and have me ship them to Oz as majority of US sellers won't ship overseas. If you can't find him on this site, do a member search on Do the Ton, pretty sure he'll be happy to explain. Honda steering head bearings were common from 1970's CB350 to CB750 SOHC and continued with CX500&CB650 into 1980's afaik. I think only the CB750/900 and CBX got upgrade to larger bearing size?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hi, I've done it a few times to cb750 Hondas. The CBR forks I like are the 41mm from the 1990's Pretty much either CBR600 OR CBR1000, get the calipers, M/C, brake hoses, DSCF0232.JPG axle, and rotors too.You can put cbr600 front wheel bearings in the CB wheels ( they are 20mm id so you have to make a spacer that fits over the 20mm axle, not to hard) The tricky part is switching the stem pipe. I grind the weld off the bottom of the pipe ,where its welded to the lower clamp and press it out. then do the same on the CBR clamp. You must measure the tube, diameter, exactly, and if they match it work fine. The CBR stem pipe is to long so it wont work unless you do this I tried it wit spacers but it looked really sketchy. Measure the length of the CB pipe before you cut so you can press it into the CBR lower clamp until it is the same length before you weld it. I haven't tried the newer inverted forks, I've seen it done, I like the 41mm ones cause it looks nice, it's not to hard to do and it works and rides nice. I like the multi piston calipers and bigger rotors too. All that left is fitting a fender? and shimming the rotor to fit. I cut aluminum shims on my band saw (what ever thickness needed) c clamp them to the rotor and drill the holes. You have to reduce the hub to fit the bore of the rotors or bore the rotors to fit the hub. It's not a lot but it takes some playing around to get it right. The deal is, no rubbing or binding and the caliper must release the rotor otherwise it's not safe. I've also heard some people say Suzuki forks from the same period work too. I don't know the CX Honda fork clamps, so they might have the right pipe on them already? I hope this helps?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts