Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This one is going to be fun.

I have been riding a CB400t which was a project of mine on this forum. It's a really fun motorcycle for what it is, and I've been looking to get something bigger as well. I was nearly set on the VFR750 for a bunch of reasons. It's big and fully faired, which hits one of my big things (visibility in city driving). Comfortable riding position, long legs for driving at highway speeds comfortably, liquid cooled for summer in traffic, cool Honda legacy. I had seen many of them for sale here in Germany used for a reasonable price. The headlights though.... I really loved the RC30 front end and looked at a few companies that offer a fairing conversion for the VFR750F.

Then I came accross this 1993 Fireblade.
20200119_091511.jpg
20200119_091458.jpg
It hits all of my previous deliverables AND has the twin headlight stock. No need to hack up the fairing stays and cob up a fix on a VFR. The only major drawback for me at this point is that the CBR doesn't have the signature, indestructable gear driven cams of the VFR.

It has a 47,000km on it, so it's seen some use. What I'm thinking at this point, after having driven it around town a bit;

1. Do a full tune up - fluids change, clean carbs, tune carbs, clean and lube cables, check brake pads, upgraded air filter, and give attention to rusty bolts.
2. New Tires
3. Braided Steel brake lines front and rear
4. New handle bar grips and rear view mirrors. I can't see shit with the way the rear view mirrors are now.
5. Suspension need attention... I think the rear shock might need rebuilt or replaced. Awfully hard on little bumps and not very responsive on big bumps (seems like it just bottoms out).
6. Front forks work well, but likely need the oil changed too. No leaks though, so the seals are good for now.

Questions for the class.....

1. Is it worth replacing the hosing on the cooling unit? I've looked at performance silicone hosing from AS3 and it seems reasonably priced for this bike. Worth it for a daily driver?
2.... PRE. Whats the vibe on getting a Power Commander unit for this bike? If I'm going to start messing with the intake, etc.?
2. I saw there are some air box upgrades out there, which put a little boot on the hose in the box. Don't know if it's worth the trouble, but they say it can add 10HP?
https://kainzinger.com/motorrad-tuning-sortiert-nach-motorrad-hersteller/honda-motorrad-tuning/honda-cbr900-tuning/
3. I'm also really hoping to change the livery to the classic white with the original stickers. Difference is that as I drive it, the black is growing on me. Not sure what I'll do there yet but the performance mods will come first.
4. Any benefit in getting a new performance upper triple tree? POLO makes one but its spendy.

Here is the current state of the Garage - the black CB400T is about to go up for sale. A little winter restoration project.

20200117_142736.jpg

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The Fireblade is 20lbs heavier and 80hp more. Suspension, tires, brakes etc. ride until competent, change shit.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I remember when they first came out way back in the day... Everybody wanted one. The Plastics on yours looks in fantastic condition for a 27 year old sport bike.... At least that's how it looks on my iPad.

I guess I would consider yours a nice survivor. Silicon plumbing is nice but addressing and either new or rebuilt rear shock can be costly so I would save my pesos for that at first. Check wheel bearings and your steering head bearings... Especially with the mileage you have on it. Otherwise I'm with Woodsman... ride it and enjoy the heck out of it. Great score!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts