Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello CR forum!

I had posted a while back with some engine issues, but with those now solved, I'm moving on to other issues with the bike.
Riding at night has always been a hand-clenching experience on some of the darker back roads as my old sealed beam just
doesn't have the reach.

I know the stock electrical systems on these tend to tank on any headlights pulling above 35w, so I'm trying to gauge my
options. Of those, the more common links I've been running into on forums are low powered H4 conversion kits made by
companies like Candle Power. The brightness and lower draw of LED/HID setups would be nice, but I'm no electrician here. :confused:
So any option that is as plug-and-play as possible appeals greatly. I'd assume that 35w is 35w regardless of the source pulling
it, so provided the H4 kit has that same draw (I believe the sealed beam is rated at 35/25, a Stanley hm-23m-s), should that
still keep the balance of the bike's system?

I'd like to keep the bike as original as possible, but if need be I can look into replacing other parts of the electrical system.
Thanks for any knowledge and opinions dropped as always.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
:/ the H4 you linked to draws 45 watts on either high or low beam, assuming only one filament is on at any time … that is still higher then the current draw from your original bulb. The relationship is watts = amps times volts

So at 45 watts and 12 volts your amperage will be 3.75 amps, where it was previously (35/12=2.92) 2.92 amps I'm going to take a wild guess that your headlight fuse is a 7 amp fuse and that should suffice, unless both filaments are burning which would draw 7.5 amps and cook a 7 amp fuse. … there is a high beam indicator lamp in there somewhere too, but that's not very power hungry.

Your electric starter is by far the highest power consumer on the bike (heating elements and motors have much higher power requirements then incandescent lights)
If your lights are on when she starts, this might be a problem for your battery to keep up with, then your alternator and it's associated rectifier will be stressed.

Need more input :| is the headlight on when you hit the starter button, and are both filaments cooking when it's on high beam ?:I … there has to be at least 35 guys here that know the answer to this.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I run this setup on my CB. I have it toggled to run LEDs when I want. With the light on it never blows a fuse. When I was cruising my cafe around I was part of the "cool kids" club with this set up.

20150625_165507.jpg

20150625_165449.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:/ the H4 you linked to draws 45 watts on either high or low beam, assuming only one filament is on at any time … that is still higher then the current draw from your original bulb. The relationship is watts = amps times volts

So at 45 watts and 12 volts your amperage will be 3.75 amps, where it was previously (35/12=2.92) 2.92 amps I'm going to take a wild guess that your headlight fuse is a 7 amp fuse and that should suffice, unless both filaments are burning which would draw 7.5 amps and cook a 7 amp fuse. … there is a high beam indicator lamp in there somewhere too, but that's not very power hungry.

Your electric starter is by far the highest power consumer on the bike (heating elements and motors have much higher power requirements then incandescent lights)
If your lights are on when she starts, this might be a problem for your battery to keep up with, then your alternator and it's associated rectifier will be stressed.

Need more input :| is the headlight on when you hit the starter button, and are both filaments cooking when it's on high beam ?:I … there has to be at least 35 guys here that know the answer to this.
Thanks for the advice! Handy to know where most of the draw is coming from. I believe that link mentioned that a 35/35 watt bulb could be swapped with their 45 watt upon request. When starting the bike I usually leave lights off since I have a dedicated switch, and once bike is idling fine jump to low beam. At night I'll usually do the same but use high beams. (Although I can't tell much of a difference in brightness, distance, or side-to-side coverage at this point between the two.)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I run this setup on my CB. I have it toggled to run LEDs when I want. With the light on it never blows a fuse. When I was cruising my cafe around I was part of the "cool kids" club with this set up.
Fancy! Haven't seen too many that accompany both H4 and LED bulbs. Did you have to buy the bucket as well? I believe my light is slightly smaller than the standard 7" by about a half inch. Any links as well? Would mind seeing the details.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts