Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all first time posting, have recently really got into cafe racers and have been wanting to have a go at building one myself. I have been looking every single day on Ebay, Gumtree and Craigslist hoping to find a bargain as a lot of older bikes that are deemed classic but are in need of restoration end up going for much more than I can afford as I am currently still in education but I've managed to come across a Honda CM250 1981 (First year of production for this bike I believe?) for £100 and its only an hour away from where I live. The bike its self is in pieces but all parts are original and matching, I have heard that they don't make great cafe racers as they're a 'Cruiser' style of bike and the general shape of them wouldn't really fit with the cafe racer style without extensive modifications to the frame and although I have a little experience with rebuilding bikes I don't have any with modifying bikes which doesn't put me off as I enjoy learning and trying new things but just wouldn't want to mess it up and just have a useless ruined bike sat in the garage. So basically I just need an opinion on what I should do and by the looks of it this is probably the best place to get one, so should (A) I buy it and try and turn it into a cafe racer? (B) I buy it and restore it (If it would even be worth the effort, depending on how much they're worth in good condition?) or (C) Just hold out until another bike like a CB comes along?
Sorry if this was the wrong place to post this.
Thanks in advance,
LewisJayBirch

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Buy one and buy the father of the rebel 250.

Whatever.

Buy what ya want. We don't actually care.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Welcome. I have no idea what skill set you have and so I would advise against buying anything that needs a lot of work to get on the road. Be patient, get yourself a runner that you can enjoy for a while before you consider starting a project. The CM series are a good solid little machine and although the older ones can be can be modified with minimal effort, I would wait until you gain some experience before tackling such a project.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Let's put it this way:

You do not want a cm250 as your only bike. They aren't fast enough to get out of their own way. Trips longer than across your part of town will be both un-fulfilling and uncomfortable.

Get something 400cc or larger.

Make sure it runs. Learn to ride it and maintain it.

As goldy said, we have no idea what your skillset is. Buy a non runner only after you have a runner. That way you can have a running bike while you work on your "cafe racer".

A cafe racer is not a collection of poorly made shiny bits ordered from DCC. A cafe racer is street legal race bike. Form follows function. It will look good if you make it run good.

Please read both the article sin my signature.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Read the 'how to buy a used bike' one first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay guys thanks for the replies I will take advantage of that guide as I am going to go and have a look at the bike tomorrow, I probably should've mentioned that I do already have a bike and also as I am still living at home I can take advantage of my dads skill sets too if I run into any problems as he has built a couple of custom bikes over the years (Bobbers and Brat Style Bikes).
Thanks for helping me out :)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Cm's are just....just...blah. Don't dump money into that. You won't be happy in the end. Spend a little more and get something worth putting money in. It's like restoring a dodge omni.....you could do it....but why???

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Cm's are just....just...blah. Don't dump money into that. You won't be happy in the end. Spend a little more and get something worth putting money in. It's like restoring a dodge omni.....you could do it....but why???
What about the Dodge SHELBY omni ?!?!?

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
What about the Dodge SHELBY omni ?!?!?
there is an exception to every rule.

i don't know if an English lad will know what a dodge omni is so ill just say its like trying to make a race car out of a reliant robin.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Thanks for the friendly reply, guess I better go get an opinion somewhere else then.
Posts like this really piss me off and make me not want to help at all. You come to a forum seeking opinions and then want to leave the whole site because one poster has an opinion that doesn't suit you. Go to DTT where they will agree with you on anything and pat you on the back. You won't end up with a favorable bike, but you and they will like it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Posts like this really piss me off and make me not want to help at all. You come to a forum seeking opinions and then want to leave the whole site because one poster has an opinion that doesn't suit you. Go to DTT where they will agree with you on anything and pat you on the back. You won't end up with a favorable bike, but you and they will like it.
No it was the fact he said 'We don't actually care' when he was talking about wether I should buy a bike or not which I thought was a kinda rude and a bit sour considering it was literally the first time I had posted on the forum? I wasn't referencing the fact that anyone had said that I shouldn't get the bike as that is what I was asking and wanted to find out. Wasnt trying to offend anyone was just pissed at the fact he pretty much told me he couldn't give a shit if I got it or not which is just unnecessary?

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
No it was the fact he said 'We don't actually care' when he was talking about wether I should buy a bike or not which I thought was a kinda rude and a bit sour considering it was literally the first time I had posted on the forum? I wasn't referencing the fact that anyone had said that I shouldn't get the bike as that is what I was asking and wanted to find out. Wasnt trying to offend anyone was just pissed at the fact he pretty much told me he couldn't give a shit if I got it or not which is just unnecessary?
So you based your whole judgement of this forum over what one person said as though they were the general consensus of everyone here. Your in the wrong place (internet) if you expect to not get some rude people when you ask for opinions.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

First...it's the Internet. Some People are mean. Don't take it personal.

Second...while this purchase is special to you, we get 5 of you a week with the same question. Most ignore what we say and buy the bike anyway. Mlinder can be very helpful but I think most of us have become numb to newbs. If you buy the bike...accept that we will look at you like every other news who just wants gratification and not actual help. If you actually listen and buy a proper platform then stick around. This place is very knowledgeable, however rough around the edges.

Third...if you buy that cm after all the reasons we told you not too....you are dead to me! ;) Get a bike worth your time.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Oh and fourth....this isn't little league where everyone gets a trophy for participating. If you want that go join DTT. There are real winners and losers in this hobby and it will be judged that way. In the end you will end up with a great, functional product.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Because I'm tired of answering hundreds of people who are into the 'cafe racer' style if a cm of ANY size is a good "cafe bike".

Look at the CM. It's a cheap as shit commuter bike without an ounce of racing history or a single manufacturer making go-fast parts for it.

A cm 250 will be a 17hp piece of shit no matter how much flat black paint, obnoxious unbaffled mufflers and bar end mirrors you throw at it.

I suppose it would be possible to make a 25 HP cm250.

With a shit ton of money and good mechanical skills, yeah, sure.

And you still have a 25 horsepower bike incapable of being more than a parking-lot ripper, worth absolutely nothing.

Look at the bike. Look at it's history. Make your own decision if you think it's a real candidate for a street legal race bike. Because, a street legal race bike is what a cafe racer is. Or was. Not anymore, I guess, but hey, I can wish, right?

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
And, the reason I said "We dont care" is because in spite of all the easily gleaned evidence that the cm250 is a 70mpg short-distance commuter bike for girls, you're still going to go look at it, probably buy it, and make a 'cafe' out of it.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
for the OP:
there is a high instance of douchejaculation on here at caferacer
it is the just old posters here who cant wait to slag off all over anyone who asks,it is common as ...
now that you have been dochejaculated on ,you have earned a rite of passage,you should be proud to wear the cafe necklace !!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts