Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Honda Cub that I rebuilt the engine (stuck transmission and broken kicker shaft) a little while back. Its all more or less together but has some pitting and surface rust in crevices. Wife will be gone for a while this summer so thought that I might be able to fix that one up pretty quick.

I will need the frame, forks etc. sand blasted and painted. The bodyshop next to my work 'offered' to do just paint with no sandblasting or any bodywork for $500... Seems steep to me... Hell I will start painting shit if you get paid like that.

I can sandblast all parts except the main frame which will not fit in a cabinet.

I will try to check with friends for a solution for the paint/blasting but if I had to go commercial what do you guys think is reasonable price for:

a) sandblasting the frame (its tiny)
b) painting it all.

Gonna be white. I am starting to think that I will borrow a compressor (tiny but not TINY) from work and buy a cheap paintgun. I was considering rattle can too. Its not a museum nice bike. I have painted my moped as a teenager, a toyota ke25 also as a teenager etc. I ma not good but not horrible at painting. Going commercial would help in actually getting that shit done though. Once I am done with a makeshift paint booth etc. gotten all the chemicals and tools together it becomes bigger operation.

Its all the parts in the picture (somebody else's bike) + chain guard halves.

Also any tips where to find a good helpful place to buy automotive paint in Los Angeles would be great.

·
Registered
854 Posts
meh, clean it up and rattle can it. $500 just to spray paint is crazy! maybe if they were doing some special order color match, but just to load a gun and let it bake???

Who was just using appliance paint on something...that looked like it turned out really well, maybe that route would work.

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
That seems steep with out body work.
With body work its not a bad price.

paint is all in the prep and materials

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
agreed - but I live in clueless hipsterland - said shop is in Venice, CA.

I read a lot about rattle can jobs the other night. Seems like a lot of work for not so special results - gets so close to the hassle of cleaning a paint gun etc.

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
try bright side yacht paint

Ive had good results with it.
like a 5 footer...if you take more time and prep it can be even better
very tuff stuff

·
Registered
928 Posts
Check this out, if you decide to do it yourself this is factory match for the Honda Trails so you have high quality factory colors. http://www.ct70paint.com/#oid=1013_2_banner_3

As for the frame blast it yourself, do you have an air compressor? Northern tool has a sandblast gun that works off of suction for $25. 5 pound bag of glass bead $8.99, 5 gallon bucket $2. Pour glass in bucket stick tube in bucket plug gun to compressor and shoot in your back yard.

I did this to a Jawa moped frame and a cb350 frame recently in no time. Blast all my parts once I found out how expensive it was. Buy a paint gun $60 and some plastic sheeting and paint it up. Will come out wonderful.

Don't forget self etching primer if you go to bare metal

·
Registered
928 Posts
Check this out, if you decide to do it yourself this is factory match for the Honda Trails so you have high quality factory colors. http://www.ct70paint.com/#oid=1013_2_banner_3

As for the frame blast it yourself, do you have an air compressor? Northern tool has a sandblast gun that works off of suction for $25. 5 pound bag of glass bead $8.99, 5 gallon bucket $2. Pour glass in bucket stick tube in bucket plug gun to compressor and shoot in your back yard.

I did this to a Jawa moped frame and a cb350 frame recently in no time. Blast all my parts once I found out how expensive it was. Buy a paint gun $60 and some plastic sheeting and paint it up. Will come out wonderful.

Don't forget self etching primer if you go to bare metal

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Good luck with the project. I am a big C100 fan, have 4 or 5 myself.

I just did my Honda C110 race bike with a rattle can and it isn't bad at all. Took a lot of time in the prepping, primed it and several coats of finish. Not perfect but it will get all scrapped up anyway. Looks good at 4 feet.

I was quoted $200 plus paint from a part timer that does nice work, but it is good enough for my purpose for about $50 in materials and supplies.

Since you were into the trans on yours, sometimes one of mine is very hard to get into gear, especially under hard (relatively for a 50) acceleration. Any thoughts?

Jack

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Good luck with the project. I am a big C100 fan, have 4 or 5 myself.

I just did my Honda C110 race bike with a rattle can and it isn't bad at all. Took a lot of time in the prepping, primed it and several coats of finish. Not perfect but it will get all scrapped up anyway. Looks good at 4 feet.

I was quoted $200 plus paint from a part timer that does nice work, but it is good enough for my purpose for about $50 in materials and supplies.

Since you were into the trans on yours, sometimes one of mine is very hard to get into gear, especially under hard (relatively for a 50) acceleration. Any thoughts?

Jack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts