Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I've got a 305 superhawk DLS front, and a CB160 DLS front I can weigh....yeah I know that's not what you asked for.

I can tell you the Suzuki t-500 brake on my bike only weighs 8 lbs.

I think the brake to have on these bikes is a Superhawk, or Honda 450 (black bomber) for folks over 150 lbs, CB160 is enough if you are under 150 lbs. Mary's got a CB160 with Vesrah pads and the thing stops great, even with me on it. Probably wouldn't hold up on a technical track with a heavier more aggressive rider though.

I've got the superhawk brake waiting for the day when the t-500 cracks.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
quote: So, yes, having narrower lining further from the hub will give
you better braking power compared to wider and closer. And if they
weigh the same, the choice is obvious.
Very important point there. Diameter of the drum is everything. Bigger around and narrow is usually always better, even if swept area is less on the larger diameter. I guess if there is a downside it's that even with a lighter drum a larger diameter moves the weight farther out on the wheel which gives more rotational momentum. I don't know the details but the leverage setup of the mechanism is supposed to mean a lot. I guess that's why the 450 and 160 work so well, something about how the linkage and cams are setup..... and I don't think it's as simple as more is better. Also a big deal is that the pivot side of the shoes on the 160, 305 and 450 wrap completely around the pin like a hinge, whereas the CB350, CB175 etc just have a half round that engages the pin.

I was never one to agree with the "brakes just slow you down" philosophy. At some point you always have to use brakes somewhere, the better the brake...the less time you spend slowing down and the more time you can spend going fast. I've always wanted a vintage bike that would lift the rear wheel. I'm not sure why as that would probably just make me crash...but I'd look cool just before I did.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I think the t-500 cracking stories are kind of overblown, I've had mine on for three years now without a problem and it was horribly corroded when I got it. Vintage brake set it up and didn't find any problems. Course I have my theory as to why they crack and how to stop it so mine may last forever.

I've also got an anti-gravity theory.

JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Aaron,
A 305 Superhawk brake drum, including everything except the axle and speedo drive weighs 10 lbs 2 oz.
Fine looking brake it is too.
JohnnyB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts