Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What good about this bike? I don't know much about modern bikes, I am more a classic guy myself. I currently have a 1971 CL350.

I came across one thats for sale ($250)

The owner hasn't rode the bike for the past year. It has been sitting outside uncovered D:
Last time it was taken out there was nothing wrong with it. They also say the bike needs a carb cleaning, and the throttle is stuck. I am also going to assume its going to need a new battery, oil filter and change as well just for starters.

Now for the worst part, if it sitting outside wasn't bad enough. The owner has moved, and has the keys to the bike and lock. And wont ship them until their is a payment on the bike.
I do know that the owner is a real person, and this bike belongs to them, and all that. So I will make precautions, If I choose to buy the bike so I don't pay for something that I am not getting.

However this also means, I wont know how big of a project I am getting myself in to until it is to late. I can and have looked at the bike, it is real, However with the keys I can check most of the bike, from what i could see it was all there, and intact. I would like to see if the engine is seized from sitting, is there a way to do this, without the keys? I know there is a automatic wheel lock on this bike, but not sure if it locks just the front, or back or both.

If I were to buy the bike it would come with the title, a few parts (new taillights & blinkers as it appears she dropped the bike while standing) and some other random things that were acquired in their travels. I would also get to keep the Kyrpto lock that the bike is currently lockup with.

Worst comes to worst, they don't give the me keys and I out some cash. But I am going to come up with a plan to avoid something like that happening. maybe a half now half later sorta thing. But after that, the bike is fucked from sitting, I have a Kyrpto lock and a bike to part out, or an intense project on my hands.

So am I being moronic even thinking about it?

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Roper rides one as his daily mount if that means anything. Excellent bike if it is working, but one without any parts support if it is not. I have a box of shit for one someone can have if they needed it, mostly plastic bits, no keys.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Cool little bike. I'd ride it.

Selling situation is sketchy though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree 100%, If I can work something out with the owner where I feel comfortable buying it from them then I probably will jump on it.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
For $250, you can't go wrong. They are a nice little bike and the front forks are a nice upgrade for the CB350 if you decide to turn it into parts.

Ken

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good thinking Ken, I have been thinking of updating the front brake to my CL to a disc brake. just haven't got my hands on a cb550 front end yet.

So over all, if I can get around this sketchy buy, which is still lingering over my head, it seems like a good decision.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Early ones did. It was kinda funky. Mixed opinions on how well they worked.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of the models had an internal disc brake, if thats what you are referring to, but this model doesn't have that, it has the normal set up for a disc brake.

I believe it was the 1989 model that had the internal disc, this is a 90 from what I can tell (based off of paint job)

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
If it has normal brakes, then I think it has 17" wheels instead of the earlier 16", which is also a good thing. I also think the VTR 250 chassis would be cool with a 4 stroke single or CR250 motor in it.

Ken

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Miami Vice yes, minus the pink. (possibly it was removed, It is a separate piece of plastic right?)
I will ask her. But I agree I doubt there are many in BK, this is the first Interceptor I have seen in BK that is below 750.

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

Is it white with the Miami vice color scheme of teal and pink?

Did she buy it from a dude named Sayre? I can't imagine there are too many of these running around bk.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Miami Vice yes, minus the pink. (possibly it was removed, It is a separate piece of plastic right?)
I will ask her. But I agree I doubt there are many in BK, this is the first Interceptor I have seen in BK that is below 750.

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

Is it white with the Miami vice color scheme of teal and pink?

Did she buy it from a dude named Sayre? I can't imagine there are too many of these running around bk.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
kind of cool bike. the pics takes a special person to ride....lol

the 90 and on had a different fender mount and more normal front dics.
for the price its a good deal.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry for the double post...(trying to beef up my post count. lol. not really)

But yeah its a funky little bike, and has possibilities for more.
I think I would repaint it, if i get there, I would do Hulk colours. That awesome green and purple combo. I think it would look rad. But that would be way down the line.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I rode one once, it was a capable bike. I think it would hit an indicated 110 mph top speed in long straights in basic stock form. It did die while I was riding it but that was due to the charging system melting down, this was a reoccurring issue with the particular motorcycle not the model as far as I know. I would buy it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay So here is the update.

Geeto-She bought the bike from a Wykowski, So unless Sayre is a strange nickname for him, then I doubt its the same guy.

Also she has the last owner's name on the title, and that old bill of sale. Anyone know how this would work for me to get it registered? I would just call the DMV but they are closed now.

She sent me photos of all the paperwork and everything else she would send over, so that makes it a bit less sketch.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts