Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got myself a universal digital speedo which uses a hall effect magnet sensor to be used on a 2013 Honda GL200 (common bikes in Indonesia).

Tried fitting a Honda original electronic speed sender that fits like the mechanical one, but the speedo doesn't seem to be able to catch the signal. Seller also confirms that it won't work with factory supplied cable, but a hall effect sensor supplied.

Out of desperation – and very little mechanical and electrical knowledge – I hacked the original bike's mechanical sender so that I can mount the magnet onto the plastic gear, and cut a piece of metal plate so that the magnetic reader can be mounted onto the cable mount. Unfortunately I was working late and my phone was dead so I didn't take any picture of the entire process. The sensor was mounted nicely, and the gear-cum-magnet holder can turn properly, but somehow it's not sending any signal to speedo.

I know I can just mount the magnet the easy way onto the disc brake bracket, but it would mean I will have a dummy speedo drive and add some extra complication to the front fork assembly, which I'm keen on keeping clean, and minimal.

PS. It's pretty hard to source components/parts in Indonesia, especially Bali, and importing goods is not the easiest thing to deal with... so I will keep purchasing parts online as a last resort.

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
You have to get the hall effect sensor within less than about 1.2mm of the magnet as it passes otherwise it will not read. Post up some pictures. Also try testing the speedo off the bike by powering it up and then just waving the magnet in front of the sensor to see if the system is working correctly.

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
spotted your problem right there mate. When you test it wave the magnet at the side and then the end and see if there is a difference. you need to position the sensor like this:

speedo.jpg

Hope this gets you up and running!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Paul, thanks, I'll give it a try. Another possible solution would be soldering a tiny 'antenna' that pokes out from the magnet so that it touches the tip of the sensor. This way I can still keep the original mount (clean!),

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
If I can be "that" guy for a second....I don't get why you are trying to bodge with this setup when for a couple of bucks you can just buy a wireless magnetic pickup bicycle computer for less than $10?

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Computer-Waterproof-Speedometer-Ebest/dp/B007PPI9JC

Here in the states there have been plenty of guys using these bicycle computers as speedometers for a while now. It's easy, it's cheap, and it makes it look like your bike only has a tach like a race bike. Some of the better ones read up to 999mph or km/h so it isn't like you are going to run out of digits.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't get why you are trying to bodge with this setup when for a couple of bucks you can just buy a wireless magnetic pickup bicycle computer for less than $10?
I didn't like how it looks on the dash. Plus, I'm invested enough on making this thing work that I gave myself enough patience to see it through. Like what you said: "Fall again. Fall better"! :)

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
If I can be "that" guy for a second....I don't get why you are trying to bodge with this setup when for a couple of bucks you can just buy a wireless magnetic pickup bicycle computer for less than $10?

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Computer-Waterproof-Speedometer-Ebest/dp/B007PPI9JC

Here in the states there have been plenty of guys using these bicycle computers as speedometers for a while now. It's easy, it's cheap, and it makes it look like your bike only has a tach like a race bike. Some of the better ones read up to 999mph or km/h so it isn't like you are going to run out of digits.
If you want to go really cheap, a free app on your phone give you some cool GPS speed readouts.

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
or he could just get the stuff he already has to work for free!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I didn't like how it looks on the dash. Plus, I'm invested enough on making this thing work that I gave myself enough patience to see it through. Like what you said: "Fall again. Fall better"! :)
fair enough, carry on.

Personally I like data more than looks and some of these bike ones offer things that my original stock speedo's don't traditionally offer like temp, time, Running time (hobbs timer), multiple trip odometers, etc. Also there is the versatility of mounting to either the front or back wheel (I prefer to do back wheel as it tracks things like burnouts and wheelies, and loss of traction situations where a front wheel one would not). just another option.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
yeah, I personally don't like being tracked so I try to limit my GPS to my phone only and not rely on it for vehicle info. It's a personal preference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts