Cafe Racer Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
It was all tested with the spring off to measure motion and no choice, really...I had to modify the swingarm quite a bit to get it to swing that low at all. Chain will start sawing into the arm any lower. There's no clearance for a taller counter sprocket and the swingarm pivot is positioned quite a ways aft of the sprocket. There's a stop with a rubber pad on it to stop the arm just a teeny bit before the chain starts cutting and I should the shock positioned so that the arm stops when the shock is unloaded.

I doubt it'll bend. There's no lateral external lateral forces on the shock itself and the spring isn't going to be ridiculous. I'm considering this shock body a contender because this era r6 and r1 shocks are common (and successful) swaps onto 650 ninjas and they have to run 18~19kg/mm springs. It'll be under less stress with this bike. Sure it's possible, but I doubt it'll be an issue. The thing will be ridden through my field to check it out before everything is done.

·
Registered
58 Posts
yzf-r6 rear shock - 305mm eye to eye, 62.5mm stroke, K = 10.5N/mm, I scaled the image based on the assumed shock length from doing some online research, simply mounting the fixed shock end here gives you about 4.5" compression from the pictured position, uses up the shock travel and generates a slight rising rate. You can see from the new shock angle that the force from the shock goes parallel into the upper frame member, I'd box the area in because it looks like a stamped C channel shape that would do better as a square. Other than that, this is a very simple fix based on the information provided. If you want to give me more details about the measured swingarm length, pivot locations and ride height, I can do a more detailed analysys with Tony Foale's software. This would also let you put the rear shock centered on the swingarm, eliminating uneven forces on those rather spindly looking swingarm pivots.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
yzf-r6 rear shock - 305mm eye to eye, 62.5mm stroke, K = 10.5N/mm, I scaled the image based on the assumed shock length from doing some online research, simply mounting the fixed shock end here gives you about 4.5" compression from the pictured position, uses up the shock travel and generates a slight rising rate. You can see from the new shock angle that the force from the shock goes parallel into the upper frame member, I'd box the area in because it looks like a stamped C channel shape that would do better as a square. Other than that, this is a very simple fix based on the information provided. If you want to give me more details about the measured swingarm length, pivot locations and ride height, I can do a more detailed analysys with Tony Foale's software. This would also let you put the rear shock centered on the swingarm, eliminating uneven forces on those rather spindly looking swingarm pivots.

View attachment 105757
Mounting it up there will interfere with electronics and battery location and only gets me about 3.5" of wheel travel using this shock.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
no ones said it so i may as well. if you havent already ,clean your shop / work area. that place is filthy. run a broom over the floor , maybe some shelves for your parts? boxes and label them? i started to watch the video to see what the hub bub was about the shock , but couldnt get past the first 1 min .

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
no ones said it so i may as well. if you havent already ,clean your shop / work area. that place is filthy. run a broom over the floor , maybe some shelves for your parts? boxes and label them? i started to watch the video to see what the hub bub was about the shock , but couldnt get past the first 1 min .

Oh no I hear it all the time...the shop is chaos...twenty different projects going and I only ever have half an hour to work on one of them. Then the shop gets used as a "catch all" for stuff we don't have some place else for. It's excuses and excuses but when I got a little time I hate spending it trying to tidy the place up. I'm usually less busy in the winter so maybe this year I'll get it straightened up...but I said that last year and the years prior haha. Biggest problem is that it doesn't bother me and that makes it even harder to get it all straightened up.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
There's nothing as satisfying as a shop after a deep clean

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
There's nothing as satisfying as a shop after a deep clean
I've never got to experience it! :( The thing was already a wreck when we moved in...right now I have the Shadow project taking up a little space, a dozen wind turbine and generator projects taking up a lot of space, a dozen kayaks and related gear taking up a corner, tools and parts all scattered about...the wind turbine stuff actually make money and my three primary interests there are two~four weeks behind, the bikes make a little money but they're mostly for stress/anxiety/frustration relief, and then the place is a mess. We're remodeling a house right now plus upkeep on our 70 year old house on top of the normal stuff accompanying being a homeowner and work and then family time...lol over the last month I've had about an hour to play in the shop

·
Administrator
262 Posts
lol I use to keep tools all over the place so they were always in reach and that worked great right up until my wife decided to organize the tools. Oh great, now I have 37 straight slot screwdrivers all in the same tool drawer.
Never let a woman 'tidy' your workshop. Most of the time they don't know what the tools are and why you put them in a specific place/order. Same thing goes for your office.

·
Administrator
262 Posts
You should try sex

And drinking beer

Even both at the same time

Might change your mind about a clean shed bein top of the list

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Sex is good. I don't drink beer, but a cheap bourbon and/or a modestly priced Aussie wine are all high on my list.

But if CaT prefers a shiny tool....each to his own - who are we to argue? :unsure:

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
You need to weigh these things by how common they are... a clean and organized shop is far less common than sex and/or alcohol... at least for me

• Haha
Reactions: OldMan

·
Registered
10,654 Posts
Im not digging around this thread much, but did we already get the "because that is what I have" answer to why the OP is building a chopper that looks like a cartoon of a cafe racer out of a Shadow?
Never understand starting with such a bad base.
Understand it even less when people try and reinvent the wheel with rear suspension projects.
In what way is this an improvement?

If you really want a flat shock, take a look my tasteful nudes of my SB6R

Attachments

61 - 79 of 79 Posts