Cafe Racer Forum banner
121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Administrator
319 Posts
I still wanta buy this place.
For reals.
As an aside to this thread - You know that you can approach Vertical Scope (contact is at the bottom of the page) and suggest buying the site. It's probably not going to work as they are a publicly listed company now and all their forums are registered as it's assets, so they would probably need shareholder permission to sell an asset and then advise the relevant Stock Exchange.

Might be easier and cheaper to set up your own forum. There are a few articles on the net about how to go about it.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
mac did build a cx500, he rides it and he looks safe on it, hopefully this bike turns out as good. if it doesnt ,nothing much wasted then his time. im sure he not going off tearing down the road ( or let someone else) unless he feels its safe. let him finish.

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
I actually do not get the business model of forums. Is it really just the ad revenue and low overhead? I think at some point the ADMINs said they are unpaid? How does that work?
Why does it seem that none are making an investment to improve the traffic, content or experience?
Honest question.

·
Administrator
401 Posts
I actually do not get the business model of forums. Is it really just the ad revenue and low overhead? I think at some point the ADMINs said they are unpaid? How does that work?
Why does it seem that none are making an investment to improve the traffic, content or experience?
Honest question.
I'll send you a PM for this so we don;t side track this thread.

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
Oh, come on. This really making the thread more interesting....lol

Reactions: OldMan

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Oh, come on. This really making the thread more interesting....lol
i can remember one of the regs from here, maybe 7-8 years ago starting a cr forum. forgot what it was called. i did reg. dont think there was any activity . what happened to it?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
i can remember one of the regs from here, maybe 7-8 years ago starting a cr forum. forgot what it was called. i did reg. dont think there was any activity . what happened to it?
i cant rmember what it was, but i remember that it did not succeed. I’ve never seen a “screw you guys i’ll make my own forum” venture succeed.

worth noting: i have acquired an R1 roller...minus axles but i think i have an axle or two in the shop. Hopefully sometime during the next week i’ll get to find out if that wheel with a180 will work in this swingarm!

·
Administrator
401 Posts
R1 as in Yamaha R1?

As a die hard GSXR guy it pains me to say but if it has the cross plane crankshaft that's a hell of a power plant.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
It’s just wheels and suspension and a few other bits unfortunately...or fortunately, depends on perspective i guess. Ineed the front for another project and it gives me fat rear wheel for this shadow project. It’s an ‘05 anyway

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
FINALLY got my R1 wheel! Much to my consternation, though, running a 190 is very tight in the swingarm. I have less than half an inch on either side...might be okay though...I'll get to play with it more after Christmas, I only had time to slap a makeshift "axle" through the thing to check it out. Still have to get a cush, carrier, and spacers to make sure it all fits between the spars. If it all lines up then it's custom axle time!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
so im looking at your last pic , rear view, rear tire/frame/ tank. it all looks pretty straight. then i look at the tubes that used to be the rear triangle. why does it look like the right side tube where its cut looks farther away from the backbone/frame then the left? angle of pic? rear wheel being off center? will you be able to cold work those tubes? or will you have to reatach one?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Those spars are going to be the tail support and are only tacked on...and they were straight and even a few days ago but there was what we're gonna call "an accident" and now they have to be cut off and redone lol. I need to get a chock bolted to the floor that I can lock the front wheel into.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Okay so I finally had time to go and mess around with this and see how far off I'm going to be....and I hate it. That fat 190mm tire was exactly what I had in mind from the beginning, but getting it to line up and clear everything doesn't look like it's in the cards. I'm roughly 9±1 mm difference between the sprockets and even if I decided to go ham and just shift the wheel to the right to sort it out the tire hits the frame. A 180 on this 6" wheel would probably give me the clearance to run offset, but it's not "right".
Wheel centered...

Wheel pushed all the way right...

My options are:
1. Swap it out for a 5.0 or 5.5 rear wheel and run a 170 or 180. Both will look fine and honestly the 170 is a little more suited for the engine. So I will be on the prowl for an R6/FZ6 rear wheel assembly...or maybe even an Enkei/Honda 6-spoker from an F3 or a 900RR.
2. Offset front sprocket...if I can even find one. The retaining clip means I'll probably have to have a sprocket custom made...which I don't care much for. Sprockets are wear items and I want to be able to buy replacements. Not only that, but the way the shift shaft is positioned...which makes me think Honda really didn't have this kind of build in mind when they designed this bike...means that if I actually can find an offset sprocket it'll be very close to the shift assembly. I think the wheel is the better place to resolve the issue.

There is a crazy third option, though, that I picked up today...

Now, I am crazy partial to single side swingarms...and normally I'd be all over this idea...but I'm not 100% certain here that it's the best fit for my Shadow. First, I would either have to mill the middle out of the pivot tube on this one and get crazy with reinforcing itand who knows how the hell I'd get a shock on it (pro-link would not be an option unfortunately), or I would have to find a 650GT swingarm...which isn't impossible and would itself fit the project wonderfully AND it's shock mount would not only allow me to run a more conventional rear suspension..but it'd likely force me to do it.
I'm mulling this over for a while...I think the single side swingarm can solve some of my issues but introduces a few others and the added effort and expense probably means pushing the shadow back late spring and building my GL500 instead (which will be a more traditional build that will be sold). We'll see.
I do want to say, though, that this VFR is easily one of my favorite finds EVER. I go around and buy no title/no key/doesn't run beaters cheap because everyone thinks they're stolen...and I get a lot of interesting bikes and interesting stories. This one is literally at the top of my "nah it wasn't wrecked" list and comes with the explanation that it "only needs a battery and the carburetors cleaned" to run. Yeah you bet lol

...the adventure continues...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
So I swapped the tire out for a 180 and made an incredible difference. It doesn't look as awesome with that fat tire back there but:

...the wheel now centers with the frame neatly...

...the sprockets now actually line up really nice. The driven is actually about 3mm outboard of the drive but I can have that milled off the carrier...

...there's now a HUGE amount of room to play with all around the brace...

...the tire still looks plenty fat but I can't believe there's that big a difference between a 180 and a 190! I absolutely cannot believe how much of a paint in the ass it was to remove the tire, though. I have been manually changing tires for 25 years and have never once had one be this hard to pull off the tire. We're talking even tires that have been on wheels out in the sun for 40 years have not fought me this much. And I can't believe how much difference the 180 made physically. Because...oh....

....ohhhhh....

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Maybe you can shoehorn the shadow engine into the other Honda rolling chassis with the messy engine.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Cut off ancient tires.
I "try" not to take the saws out when I'm working on tires but I was very tempted with this one.

Maybe you can shoehorn the shadow engine into the other Honda rolling chassis with the messy engine.
I thought about it as soon as I rolled the thing into the shop but it won't work. The shift rod is right behind the drive sprocket, which means the pivot is even further away from the sprocket...really messes with swingarm travel and pushes the engine way forward. The Shadow 750 engine is also designed to have the pivot go through the engine...it's part of the rear engine mount. I'm going to spend a little time going over the 750 engine, though, and see if it's salvageable...I don't have high expectations. If it is I may build the VFR up into something. In not...well, I have another shadow 750 engine that's go to come out of its frame...I may see how well it lines up in the VFR chassis :D

121 - 139 of 139 Posts