Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Honda Nighthawk CB750 / 2000 Triumph Daytona 955i
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm new here and maybe I'm coming out swinging right of the bat and bored because I've been put in Facebook jail for the month... I'm only a victim of circumstance! Anyway. I wanted to run an idea I have by some more knowledgeable people than myself.

I have a 1993 Nighthawk CB750 and a 2000 Triumph Daytona 955i that I got for a total of $320... I've been riding the nighthawk around and love it,, but the motor is on its way out after 80,000 miles. The Triumph on the other hand runs great and low miles! Just doesn't have a fuel tank or a fuel pump or any of the fairings! And I'm not seeing getting the triumph going because parts are hard to come by.

My idea is swapping the forks, single swing arm, and 955i to the nighthawk!

The 955i is about 2 inches taller, 4 inches longer and about the same width as the cb750.

Maybe the swing arm from the triumph won't work due to how much wider it is than the Hondas

And I have no idea about the forks. I've see both single swing arms and sport bike forks swapped to a nighthawk. I'm just trying to work with what I have. And I have fabrication experience. Just not with motorcycles.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. It would be unique IMO but probably not worth the effort. Either way I already named the project and lost a little sleep over it so I'm probably doomed
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
"The Triumph on the other hand runs great and low miles! Just doesn't have a fuel tank or a fuel pump or any of the fairings! And I'm not seeing getting the triumph going because parts are hard to come by."

"been riding the nighthawk around and love it,, but the motor is on its way out after 80,000 miles"

and you are thinking of putting the Triumph suspension on the worn out Honda :unsure:
Sorry but that makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
... and wait a minute, how can a fuel injected motorcycle run great with no fuel pump?

Yes, doomed project would be a good name for it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... and wait a minute, how can a fuel injected motorcycle run great with no fuel pump?

Yes, doomed project would be a good name for it.
By putting.... a fuel pump on it..... the thing runs with no fuel pump or fuel tank. By spraying brake clean in the airbox.. All it needs is fuel right? I mean I guess I'm forcing fuel into the cylinders with the brake clean, but does the ecu need to recognize a specific pump to turn on the injectors? Or does it just need the correct fuel pressure? Project isn't "doomed" till I say it is.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"The Triumph on the other hand runs great and low miles! Just doesn't have a fuel tank or a fuel pump or any of the fairings! And I'm not seeing getting the triumph going because parts are hard to come by."

"been riding the nighthawk around and love it,, but the motor is on its way out after 80,000 miles"

and you are thinking of putting the Triumph suspension on the worn out Honda :unsure:
Sorry but that makes absolutely no sense what so ever.
You see people swap suspension parts all the time. Some people, including myself, like a challenge... I didn't ask if you all thought it was a smart idea or if it made sense ro you.... I'm asking if it's possible.. I kind of like the idea of pissing off a highbrow triumph community in the process

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Your fuel injected engine does not run great by spraying brake cleaner into the intake and yes electronic fuel injection requires a fuel pump to make the fuel spray out of the injectors. It's the Only way it can work good.

It's crazy not to just fix the Triumph unless it can't be plated because of the VIN in which case all you are really trying to do is build something around the Honda VIN
... that's not going to piss off anybody except your insurance company and the license bureau.

Yes we see people swapping out suspension parts all the time just to make something old look newish. It's a huge joke to people that actually ride motorcycles.
... and no your ecu is not smart enough to know what fuel pump is connected to the injectors.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your fuel injected engine does not run great by spraying brake cleaner into the intake and yes electronic fuel injection requires a fuel pump to make the fuel spray out of the injectors. It's the Only way it can work good.

It's crazy not to just fix the Triumph unless it can't be plated because of the VIN in which case all you are really trying to do is build something around the Honda VIN
... that's not going to piss off anybody except your insurance company and the license bureau.

Yes we see people swapping out suspension parts all the time just to make something old look newish. It's a huge joke to people that actually ride motorcycles.
... and no your ecu is not smart enough to know what fuel pump is connected to the injectors.
What I mean by "runs great" is I'm experienced enough to know how healthy an engine sounds when you start it with brake cleaner. When it idles and the throttle is snappy with BRAKE CLEANER ONLY I know the engine is healthy and will run great.

I am very well aware that a fuel injected system needs a pump... if you are unaware that there are TONS of after market pumps that would work just the same, that's not my problem. I can use what ever tank I want! It's not that hard to understand.

You seem to be part of the highbrow community I'm talking about... I could give a shit about an insurance company or the dmv. And I couldn't care less about your opinion on what's a joke. I "actually ride" motorcycles and I happen to LOVE fabricating and customizing. I think you're a joke for thinking that's a joke. Move along if you're only going to give me your opinion on what's a good idea or what you think is a joke.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lmao, you have
for someone else- yes, for you -no
You have no idea what my experience in fabrication is. How can you even say something like that. So far my experience with this forum is of people who think they are better than everyone else and can't think outside the box. Let me tell you right now if it's doable, I can do it. Matter of fact I KNOW it's doable, just wanted to talk to someone who has possibly done something like this, but all I get is a bunch of pansys who think they know what's up... You're just ignorant

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
No, I'm just old as dirt and have been riding motorcycles since pre-puberty. You should value the opinions of all us old gear heads and racers here, you just don't realize it yet
and yes we like to joke here (y) if it's not fun you're doing it wrong.

We have no idea about you, because you didn't introduce yourself. that doesn't make Us ignorant.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Lmao, you have

You have no idea what my experience in fabrication is. How can you even say something like that. So far my experience with this forum is of people who think they are better than everyone else and can't think outside the box. Let me tell you right now if it's doable, I can do it. Matter of fact I KNOW it's doable, just wanted to talk to someone who has possibly done something like this, but all I get is a bunch of pansys who think they know what's up... You're just ignorant
you asked a question , i gave a answer, i could be wrong. and name calling other members is against forum rules.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No what makes you ignorant is assuming stuff before you know anything about me. You don't have to know anything about me to respect me. I value good advice, not advise from a point of authority. You know how many times I've come across old timers in the industry I work in that has been "doing it for 40 years" but are still dumb as rocks? I don't value out dated advise is my point. If you have something constructive to say about my idea go for it, but so far all I get is ignorant opinions. I never asked if anyone thought it was a good idea. And I never asked what anyone thinks I should do with MY bikes. I asked for insight on a few points of this build idea. Why don't you re read my original post. Just because you've been riding forever doesn't mean your opinion on custom fabrication means anything at all. You might out ride me on the trails, but I'll walk circles around you in a shop. (That's my ignorant assumption about you because I don't know your experience either)

No, I'm just old as dirt and have been riding motorcycles since pre-puberty. You should value the opinions of all us old gear heads and racers here, you just don't realize it yet
and yes we like to joke here (y) if it's not fun you're doing it wrong.

We have no idea about you, because you didn't introduce yourself. that doesn't make Us ignorant.

·
Administrator
401 Posts
Lmao, you have

Easy big fella. Site rules Sir. No name calling. You are guaranteed two things here - advice will be technically solid and brutally honest. If I don't get to call them pansies neither do you.

·
Registered
1979 XS750
129 Posts
They put a chevy 350 in a “motorcycle“ frame... these Old people here are on the outside looking in. That said, they do give good advise. Sometimes you just gotta ignore the “rude” way they can come off. Don’t be so easily offended, if you know you are right it won’t bother you. They have steered me away from some cliché ideas and I am grateful now. I wanna see the triumph-honda! Any timeline? Or just hoping to get it done before you’re too old to ride it haha

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Easy big fella. Site rules Sir. No name calling. You are guaranteed two things here - advice will be technically solid and brutally honest. If I don't get to call them pansies neither do you.
Please tell me when I name called. When someone makes an incorrect statement based on absolutely nothing but assumptions, that is by definition plain and simple ignorance. Calling someone ignorant when they are being ignorant is not name calling. It's factual. Ignorance is never a bad thing when you learn from it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They put a chevy 350 in a “motorcycle“ frame... these Old people here are on the outside looking in. That said, they do give good advise. Sometimes you just gotta ignore the “rude” way they can come off. Don’t be so easily offended, if you know you are right it won’t bother you. They have steered me away from some cliché ideas and I am grateful now. I wanna see the triumph-honda! Any timeline? Or just hoping to get it done before you’re too old to ride it haha
I'm honestly still trying to figure out if I'm going to go through with it. If I do I'll probably work on it every day. 2 years I think would be plenty of time to build something like this if I'm proactive about it. I always appreciate good advise but these guys went way off script and just gave me their opinions on what I should do instead. I'm not generally easily offended, I'm usually doing the offending, but damn, way to welcome me to this forum! Haha.

If that's all past us I would love to have a discussion on technical roadblocks I would run into.

I've seen old-timers put rotary plane engines in chopper frames. Like I really don't think a honda triumph is that far fetched

1 - 20 of 62 Posts