Cafe Racer Forum banner

Hooker for 350?

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  jbranson 
#1 ·
I found an old Hooker 2-1 high pipe in the shop. With a bit of work it'll fit the 350. I remeber seeing a guy at NHIS (a canadian?) with a similar setup on a cb350.

Now my question....

anyone have ANY info or experience with this sort of set-up?

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.

#7 ·
This isn't helpful....but I went to grammer school next door to the house where the Sox&Martin pro stock car "lived", one of the first teams to win with Hooker headers. Went to high school with Joey Lunati of Lunati cams. Bought my first camshaft from a guy in a little shop...called Racing Head Service...which became Competition Cams. Went to high school with Lee Brewer, Sammy Swindell (and Jeff), use to hang out with Hooker Hood and son Ricky. Meaningless unless you were into Sprint car racing in the 70's.
Hooker headers always reminds me of those guys.
Racing was big in Memphis :)
JohnnyB

#12 ·
Go figure, Johnny has experience with hookers...

The whole kit is heavy as F@#k. Close to the weight of the WHOLE stock setup. OUCH. May be worth copying the basic design, high and tight. Just like I like my ladies...(-so, sorry had to) Something similar with a CDR megga-trapp would be the shiz-nizzle. Johnny, what material do you use for them?

It wasn't made for the 350, who knows what it was for. So Geet, it could be MADE to fit anything at this point.

hp? lets see that RZ... Hootie.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.

#14 ·
quote:
I've recently gone to SolidWorks to "solidify" my header designs.
That's tight stuff, JB. I desperately need to come up with a cure for my exhaust dragging...will you have time to build me a weld-on Trapp can or two this winter? With a couple short bent sections, I think I can get up off the asphalt with new rearsets. Or, I may have to go with duals. I haven't stumbled on any hookers in my neighborhood...

#20 ·
Rosko,
I really like the look of the 2-1 up pipe too. I want to run it inside the frame and past the rear tire inside the shocks and out under the tail section. I just don't know if there is room in there for wheel travel or not. I would really like to keep the hot pipe away from my leg. Us chubby guys get sensative to things like that. JB, any thoughts? I think that would make my bike even cooler( if that is possible).

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

#21 ·
I've tried a couple of times to come up with a good 2-1 under the tail exhaust. Getting the pipes inside the frame in the carb area is always the problem for me. I'm a stickler for ease of access at the race track and wrapping pipes around the carbs always presents a problem.
There is usually room for wheel travel if you keep the exhaust to one side of the tail section or the other. Another thing about under the tail is it kind of precludes the use of a megaphone unless you get into some really fancy hydro formed stuff.
At some point in my life I would love to have the equipment to do some really stellar GP quality exhausts for vintage bikes, in thin wall SS. But...by then vintage as we know it might be a thing of the past....hehe..thing of the past...get it.
JohnnyB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.