Cafe Racer Forum banner

hot coil

913 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  HackAsaw 
#1 ·
after electrical rewire the left coil is getting very hot. what could be causing this, the plug is getting spark, but the machine isn't firing. (it could be fuel also, so really not as worried about the no go as i am the hot coil) short? bad plug wire, ( i switch the plug itself no change, still heats up)

#2 ·
The only reason for an electronic component to heat up is either due to an internal or external short to ground. So you either have a bad coil or (more than likely) your getting an external short to ground - possibly thru your points.... Check your timing setup with your points and ensure there is no short on the control line to your coil. If that checks out - replace the coil.

#5 ·
I concur

my coils don't get hot at all unless something is wrong or key left on with their respective points set closed or something is wrong

quote:Originally posted by bmartin

The only reason for an electronic component to heat up is either due to an internal or external short to ground. So you either have a bad coil or (more than likely) your getting an external short to ground - possibly thru your points.... Check your timing setup with your points and ensure there is no short on the control line to your coil. If that checks out - replace the coil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.