Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really am not running here with every bike I see, I'm sure you guys see enough of that. I try to research as best I can beforehand. This is a little bit of a special case, a 1982 Yamaha 650 seca turbo. I read as much as I can about this here, but not surprisingly, there's not a ton of info.

Anyway, it's not in great condition. I would have to negotiate the price alos. Link: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/736655739.html

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I have one and it is the worst love hate relationship I have ever had with a Japanese motorcycle

for a blow by blow report of my exploits with it

I have a "log" posted on cycleworld in the antique/vintage section

more will be added soon as I have recently replace the wiring harness on it

the bikes are totally retarded electrically and even with the factory manual

you are pretty much on your own whey they have electrical problems

also, I've yet to find overhaul kits for the proprietary carbs but I did get my carbs working very well

btw........ you can buy complete ones that have all the hard body work for only a little more

if that is all that's there....... it would do well to fetch 300 on ebay

mine has 6000 miles on it, fresh rack, fresh turbo, new tires, and more

I gave less than that for it

and I have tons of spares too

my advice

buy one running and riding......... I'll sell you mine

oh btw....... after I tagged mine

I went back to the county court clerk and explained how the bike is and such

they felt so sorry for it they traded out the normal plate and gave it a handicap plate

now it can park up front and truly amazing is the line of cars that pull over offering help when it acts stupid

true story, well sorta anyhow

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
That is the type of project that is more a labor of love, if you don't have any particular attachment to the bike I'd be patient and wait for something a little more main stream and simple....

But it's really up to you to determine what you're capable of and what you want.

But to answer your question, if you're a noob it's probably a bad idea.

FR

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, that's all I need to know.

On a side note. I must live in an area where these cafe model bikes are "worth" more. If it's not in buckets or a pretty small cc bike, it ain't going for less than $500 usually. You're lucky to find a bucket bike for that price to tell you the truth.

I figure I'm going to have to spend $1000 on a CB750 that's only in average condition. Meaning, it will probably still need some odds and ends work to really have it running smooth, or even new tires. There doesn't seem to be prices here similar to what many of you have for your areas.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
search seca 650 turbo in the general forum...master geeto gave up some great info on that bike a few months ago.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If your going to go with a turbo bike I would suggest a Kawasaki 750 turbo. Those are regarded as the best all-around turbo bikes. The Honda 500/650s are nice,but overall the Kawasaki is the best performing machine.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
well if he knows anything about them

the honkey needs to be ringing my phone or come get the one I have here

quote:Originally posted by catboy

search seca 650 turbo in the general forum...master geeto gave up some great info on that bike a few months ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts