Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do all the newbies seem to name their bikes something clever or refer to them as she. It just kind of creeps me out a little. I mean its just a bike. Get date or a dog if you feel compelled to name something. At least my dog usually comes when I call her(she actually is a female) by name. All of the bikes would just sit there.

Just wondering,

Ken

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I have never referred to my bikes as she, or he (that would be gay, not that there's anything wrong with that), however...

I have named one "Baby Sister" after a favourite movie of my (now) 9yr old daughter. It's a gay bike anyway (not that there's anything wrong with that), and deserves to be referred to as a girl.

The other bike with a name (Dead Man Special) has references to racing & death. How can you complain about that?

Does all that make me a Gay (not that there's anything wrong with that) newbie?

I used to have a truck we called The Lone Ranger (yes, rusty 1990 Ford Ranger). My (now) 9yr old daughter cried when the new owner drove her away.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
the only bikes I've ever owned that did not get named were the ones I didn't build

·
Registered
687 Posts
people like to name the things they are going to put their life at risk while riding like bomber and fighter pilots that or it's some sort o' pagan voodoo.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
so how do you explain boats??

i dont have an attachement. ken knows, race somethign for a few seasons, see how attached to it your are then!

my bike is just, "the bike"

jc

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't start messin with Pagan Voodoo and good luck charms and such. I got a new pair of "Lucky Racing Socks" at RAD America last weekend from my wife. Racing superstition is a lot different than naming a bike.

Ken

·
Registered
699 Posts
i name stuff to be funny. i have this old beater work truck that i call "blue steel" and then i call my green truck "the green hornet" and my datsun is just "dotty". the bike however usually gets called something rediculous like "the horse" or "my steed" or my buddy calls it "artie" because it's an RD...i dont know if i like that or not yet. but my naming stuff is more of a comical thing and not anything serious.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
ken, depending on whats going on with my bikes i use names like bitch, piece of shit, load of crap, no good for nuthin, etc!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ken am i wrong that i think that bike is female .?
So in plain English its correct to speak of her.
When you speak of here its likely to give the damned thing a name.
Has got nothing to do with newby's i think.
Greetings,
Engelbert

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I saw the handsome new lucky socks.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
champ,

we used to call the motobi's we raced "the fastest toilets on earth"....why, you ask...because every race, one of them always shit the bed.

texy

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK, I never liked the idea of referring to my bike as a she, seemed kind of lame. My Honda 4 cylinder is a wide machine and since it's pretty strong I like to think of it as a bull.
Not that I spend a lot of time thinking about that. I have thought that I should find a bull decal for the rear cowl.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts