Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1973 Honda CB500F, 5000 miles, original everything including front pads. It squeaked pretty loud before so I changed the pads and now they squeak so loud that I would bet that it is louder than 99% of you have ever heard. My friend INSIDE the house said it was painful to hear it as I drove down the street in front of the house. I tried disk brake quiet which worked for 5 brake pulls but it came right back. The clymer manual has no listing of disc thickness specs but I measured with a micrometer and it is very even at 0.275" all the way around. The disc surface is very smooth and shiny so I was thinking of getting it turned but obviously don't have a minimum thickness. Any advice?

1973CB500F, 1980CB750C

·
Registered
104 Posts
You tried different pads yet?

Only issues with squealing have been crap on the rotors, pad material (such as metallic compounds) or glazed or crappy pads that have stuff stuck in them or messed up pads.

Corse Per Vita,
-Derek

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
read the FAQ on Honda single piston brakes.

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
104 Posts
quote:
read the FAQ on Honda single piston brakes.

AHRMA 412
my god, i'm learning new things here on this forum every single day. I absolutely love this place!

Corse Per Vita,
-Derek

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Read the FAQ and have already disassembled everything and installed a master cylinder rebuild kit and new pads, pulled the piston cleaned and cleaned. But I am thinking that I need to lube everything on the caliper. Any other suggestions

1973CB500F, 1980CB750C

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Texy is just being pissy.

If you followed the directions in the FAQ, then you should be ok. The piston is a tight fit in the bore and really doesn't move very freely. Did you really scrape all of the crystallized brake fluid out of the square groove behind the piston seal and steel wool the piston to get it really smooth? Lube up the pivot pin in the aluminum brake bracket( you did disassemble it and drive the pin out didn't you?), and it should work fine, especially with new pads. The caliper doesn't need to move very much to release the disc. Reassemble it and give it a try.
Ken

AHRMA 412

1 - 7 of 7 Posts