Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new ones. Like a brand new set. I had dunlops on the GS750 and I don't remember what models they were but they were a little slick when cold but nice and grippy when warmed up. I usually try for avons or metzlers on my bikes but looking on like dunlops seem to be the cheapest thing that isn't a shinko or cheng shin.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
FWIW, I've been getting avon roadriders for $120 apiece shipped on ebay. You know those don't suck ;)

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FWIW, I've been getting avon roadriders for $120 apiece shipped on ebay. You know those don't suck ;)
Iron Pony has the AM26s on sale for $96 a piece in stock in the size I need. They have K70's for roughly $83. I am being a cheap bastard.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I used them way back. I use Avons now. Like them both. I guess if you are going for a period look the K70 is the tire. If you'tr cheap they'e the ones. If you're going GP racing maybe they aren't the best.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have k70s on the sr500.. good if your looking for a match to the original Mag-Mopus style tire..Lots of 60-70 brit style owners use them around here.. check bike bandits prices, they seem to have the best prices with free shipping and the last few pairs I have seen were recent date code 'fresh' tires..

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Iron Pony has the AM26s on sale for $96 a piece in stock in the size I need. They have K70's for roughly $83. I am being a cheap bastard.
People that actually ride their bikes have an excuse to look for cheaper tires.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Dennis Kirk I have found to usually be the cheapest for tires, even with the $5 per tire shipping charge. Avons run around $78-90ish depending on size. They ship super fast too. Also I've actually ran the newer Dunlop k70, and was shocked that they were so grippy. With that said I'd get the Avons since it's not much more.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Dunlop GT501's are excellent, also like K81's if your're after a period look.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm guessing these are for your cb750. BikeBandit has a good price on the k70's.
If you want the vintage look they are a good choice. For performance I'd buy
the Bridgestone Spitfire's. Cost a little more but worth it.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Might depend on where they were made and more!

I have owned tires of the exact same brand and model, where one set was made in one country and the other set was manufactured in a different country and facility. Performance of the end results were Not the same.
They were identical in appearance having been produced by identical moulds and process, but the rubber compounds were decidedly very different.
How long were they in storage and in what conditions were they stored is also a major factor that can affect stick and grip.

… imagine finding a nice set of tires from a dealership that had them sitting on the showroom floor, or in their shop parts storage, right next to a back door that is left open daily for ventilation and to let some sunlight in, for the last 3 years. Good deal, or old crap ?

You know, factory sponsored racers get to walk into a warehouse full of stacked up tires and put their mark on the ones they want to ride on. :/ The rest are sold to Mr.General Public.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts