Cafe Racer Forum banner

How do you demonster a monster?

4K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  gt alex 
#1 ·
The flow of Jag's Bimota chopper post got me thinking about how a group of motorcycle evangalists would go about making a motorcycle the (pick a label) youngins' would buy. This is a sincere exercise and I'd be interested in what you'd do and a picture of something along the lines of your thinking.

We have had this 2003 800 sitting here. 28,000km , mechanically excellent, including new Dunlop q4's but, has a nasty dent in the tank. There is not much money tied up in it, which makes me wonder what sort of safe, ridable, brick wall poser could be made from it?

The basic "cafe, brat, bobber, whatever" fabrication work would be outside the budget. And the bike needs nothing mechanically. Allow $1000 if you want to make changes to the shape of the existing tank ($2500 for a full tank build)

With a $3500US ($5,000 Cdn, 2900 Bps) budget. What would you do to it? What does it look like?

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
to be honest, a 1/2 fairing that compliments the existing bodywork would get you like 75% of the way.
If you want to go that extra 25%, then have the tank, tail, and rear inner fender done in polished aluminum

#5 ·
Track builds are lame.
WAY to many rules and extras needed to ride on track. And honestly there are not many places to push things on the road. Even so, the road is owned by the man.

People want to be free. Get out and explore.
See new things off the beat and path.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

That monster is killer. Can get you anywhere any time.
Perfect.

#6 ·
First thing that needs to go on ANY Monster is the tank. They changed it a little by the time that one came along, but I could never throw a leg over a bike with a tank that looks so much (and I believe intentionally so) like a giant..... as our British friends would say.... bell end!

#7 ·
The tank has a dent that would cost as much to remove as a replacement tank, so something has to be done. I am thinking about reshaping this one, remove some of the bell endedness. That is going to lead to having to reshape the seat and tail structure to match.

I was thinking a flat tracker style might be cool. The electronics lump under the tank won't allow for quite that low of a profile but the original tank could be cut down in size and flattened out a bit.

On this one they have raised the tail of the tank which would help in keeping a reasonable fuel capacity while making the tank smaller.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive fuel system

I am going to take and post some pictures of the bike framing and electronics placement for reference.

#9 ·
Electronics should not be that big of a deal to move. Just just contour the tank over them like the stock tank does.

Few old school guys used to use the 748/996 tanks

#10 ·
the pillion grab handles at the back will need to go for the flat track tail. i've done it to one of my monsters. does make it look slimmer too.

the issues with tanks are a few.

due to all the shit taking up space underneath, without the bulging sides, the capacity will drop quite a bit as the back of the tank slopes down, not squarish like sbk tanks.

the 2v head is taller and any sbk tank 916> has the fuel pump right there, so the rear of the tank has to be raised and you get that (imo) dopey af high arse look with some scaffolding holding the rear of the tank up. if you're into stupid looking streetfighters, not so much of an issue for you.

the wide and open frame to go around all the shit under it means the tank has to "fit" it to some extent.

ss tanks are for a completely different top frame rail style, so just don't really work. 888 tank will go on, apart from interfering with the ignition switch bracket. get rid of that and it'd work.

tank shape is a sticking point for me on my customish one, but i don't have the skills to modify it. guess i could learn in my negative spare time.

some others

#11 ·
Getting the tank shape and integration right is really the trick of the project.
I like the basic concept used on this bike (hate the headlight) but it's very poorly done. The seat appears to be holding up the one end of the tank. This was built by Benji's. Nice metal work wasted, I can't believe they would leave it like it is.
It's hard to find one done nicely.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

#12 ·
I think that could be solved simply by adding horizontal bars to the frame to connect the main and sub frames and provide frame rails to attach the tank and seat to.

#19 ·
this thread does have me seriously thinking about making a poor man's sportclassic...

Reactions: Tinsnips
#26 ·
Wait... was the question "what is a sportclassic?"
Sorry for causing confusion in my answer

#28 ·
I'm warning you three, if I have to pull this thread over there will be blood in the back seat and I'll have you stretched and tanning. (Adult version of "I'll tan your hide")

Now...let's get back to my vision quest. I picture it photographed with a rock cut in the background, I think that would show who I am.

#29 ·
I've been thinking that my vision may be the Japanese guy's build. I am comfortable with the fabrication required and would do most of the work. Cutting and tacking up the new tank shape I'll do but I think it best to go to the fab shop to get it stiched up.

Putting some some rough costing together.

This bike has a Rizoma top triple and "clip on" kit. They are not really what I would consider a clip on, as they bolt to the top of the forks, but what the hell, cafe doesn't mean cafe any longer either.

The point is the top triple needs to be changed to go back to bars, adding to the parts list. I may have a triple, either way it will need bars, riser, lines, grips.

It needs fenders and full lighting to certify for the road here. Lighting is not expensive. Fenders that function and look right will require some searching and planning.

Seats aren't bad for price and there are a number of suppliers. Saddlemen seems to be available through general parts dealers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.