Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up guys? I have a bike in my shop that i'm selling for a friend. Its a great running 76 cb550. I sold it to him about a year ago or so. he is now having me get rid of it for him. I told him i'd give him $1000 of what i get for it when it sells. I won't have any problem selling the bike as its a clean bike with good title and looks pretty nice.
I made the mistake of riding it yesterday for about 50 miles. No i didn't lay it down or anything. worse then that. I enjoyed it way too much and now want to buy it.
not including bikes that i bought just to turn over, this will make my 4th. my two cb750s, my hardtail xs650, and this great riding cb550.
My question is, because i built the bike from a $500 heap a year ago, and sold it and somehow it found its way back to my garage...is that a sign that i should grab it? is it fate? or should i just get rid of it for him and make a little money?
here is what it looked like when i sold it to him...

he paint shit flat black and took of the front fender and killed the battery and never got it restarted after that. he's moving out west and can't take it with him so i offered to sell it for him. a none running CB550 in clean condition is $1000 i told him. so i get the bike here, put in a carb kit and charge the battery allday. started ride up, so i drove it 50 miles on the parkway (after removing all the flat black paint with some thinner).
it just handles so well and feels so reliable. only has 7000 miles on it.

so how many is too many?
Shaun

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
is this a trick question? I mean, I stopped parking my cars in the garage so I could work on my bike more easily, and buy another one - over a year ago.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is a trick question, right?
I'm sayin' you can't have too many bikes.
He took that sweet bike and painted it flat black? Bad

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
you ONLY HAVE 4 bikes?

I'm pretty sure that is illegal and if it isn't

it should be

shame on you

I'd probably be in at 1 G for that

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
my gal says she doesn't think we can have too many girl friends either

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
counting bikes that are exploded into 1,000,000 pieces in my garage my bike body count is well over 20. I have displaced 3 cars, almost 4 if you count the one I could have parked outside where I have bikes under an awning at my apartment.

some bikes speak to you and there is little you can do about it. Sounds like this is one of those bikes. I have owned cb750s that I could care less about and others that would have to be pried out of my cold dead hands with a plasma cutter - all the same bike but some spoke directly to me while others just didn't. you can't deny yourself a bike that has called out to you - no matter what they always hold the promise of being the most fun.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Great - sounds like you have a decent size MC part count - got any 69 cb750 parts you don't need?????? I have a nice size shopping list.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by bmartin

Great - sounds like you have a decent size MC part count - got any 69 cb750 parts you don't need?????? I have a nice size shopping list.
I have a 1970 frame. 1969 bodywork in candy red factory paint (minus fork ears). Just sold my last set of sand cast gauges. What do you need?

A lot of the stuff I have is aftermarket speed parts. I bought out a drag racer who campaigned a 1969 cb750 and a 1978 cb750F. Seriously, I have stuff that would blow your mind.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
come on. you can't say that and not give any details! what do you have? blow my freakin mind man. also put a price beside each item so we can break open our piggy banks to relieve you of some of that horrible stuff.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
ok, here are some things:

Kosman Hub laced to an akront rear rim setup to take a 150 sized drag slick and spaced to fit a stock cb750 chain line (pre 1978). The brake is a rear disc with a NOS grimeca twin psiton caliper and master cylinder. I have not weighed it but the entire assembly with tire can be lifted over my head one handed and feels like it weighs about 15-20 lbs.

RC engineering swingarm with three axle points for adjusting wheelbase at the track. I have the cast struts to go with it and the wheelie bar.

- CR750 970 Kit front end from top clamp to tire.

- Magnesium Kehin CR750 racing carbs

- New in box titanium valve train (several sets), Not just the retainers but the valves and rockers too.

- 2 ARD Mags.

- Yoshi odd ball bore kits (811cc, 826cc)

- Yoshi cams

- RC 1036 cc Kit

- a cb750 "chrome Kit". As in every piece except the frame chromed back in the 1970s before the EPA required the process to be enviornmentally friendly.

- tons of Beck Arnley covers New in the boxes.

- Dunstall One of a kind CB750F rearsets for a 1976 CB750.

- Ohlins Road Race shocks from 1978 for a cb750.

- I had yosh handmand race header for a cb750 but Andy Morris managed to Scam it out from under me.

- NOS Tracy Fiberglass tank

- NOS Corbin fiberglass rear fender.

- Manifolds to run dual mukuni's (the original setups not the cycle exchange ones)

- Rickman Frame.

there are probably about 150 items on the full list but those are enough to whett your appitite. A lot of this stuff I am keeping because I will never get it again but other stuff I am not too attached to.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Damn - I have got to take a trip to NYC to visit you to check out some of your parts. I've got my own much smaller collection that includes dresda swing arm, unstamped 69 exhaust in perfect condition, M29 smooth bore carbs, Unused RC836 piston kit, custom mag wheels, DID aluminum wheels (front and rear), wrinkled tank and other various odds and ends for cb750's. BTW - I use to have a tracy fiberglass body, but got ride of it many years ago (I wished I keep it).

One 69 is completely ready for the road (cafe style) - the other 69 is being built now with an new 836 motor (street fighter style). My build is ready for the engine and paint. The 71 project will be started later this summer (wild style).

My current build will painted original ruby red, my completed 69 is all black and chrome. When the build is done - it will be posted on this site.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I have a used tracy body too, but I actually have a super lightweight drag racing and flat track Tracy tank that is NOS. seriously, this thing weighs ounces. The fiberglass is so thin that if you put a strong light against the bottom it will illuminate the tank. I am going to have to put a liner inside it just to be safe.

I have about 5 or 6 cb750 wheels laced to aftermarket alloy rims. Two are Akronts, one DID, one kosman (I think), and one campinolo (spelling), and one I can't identify. Several of them have stainless spokes.

I also have a ton of handmade parts like fork braces, machined brackets (including one to run a cb750 caliper on a springer front end) but the neatest one is a stock cb750 rear drum with a giant snorkle cooling scoop welded to it.

here is that tracy tank sitting on my k3 parts bike:

RC swingarm:

custom cb750 brake bracket

Kosman cb750 rear wheel:

Drum with cooling scoop:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Geeto67 -
Man you got some cool parts, now that this tread has been hijacked, I'm just drooling over what my 71 project would could be with some of your parts. The wallet is thin right now so I guess I'll have to just keep wiping my chin. It's damn shame your not building a few cb's with these parts on them. (maybe you are???). I'll just have to keep plugging along with my mini inventory of custom parts..

you da-man

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Actually I have 2 cb's in mind for some of these parts. Possibly three. Since I have been working long hours in the office I have been planning on paper what parts I would use to build bikes. It is nice to work with a plan because then the thing becomes like a giant model kit and you don't have to worry about making creative choices so much.

Cb750 #1: the period street road racer.
The basis of this bike was a well known (in the 70's and 80's) street racer known as "the beast"

Starting with a 1975 cb750F frame, I have a chrome SS swingarm for her. I am going to run an Alloy hoop laced to a cb750F rear hub.

The motor is an 811cc yosh built by a friend of mine back in 1977 and was the original powerplant of the beast. The motor has a nice cam and lightened balanced rods. I have not rebuilt her and she is running in her 1970's trim.

Front end is a 1975 GL1000 front end with drilled discs.

She is running her original Accel coils and a martek 440 iggy (I may upgrade to a dyna S).

Carbs are GS750 29mm smoothbores.

I am not sure what I am going to do about the exhaust but a kerker is my first choice. I was going to run a hollowed out stock system for that sleeper looks but I think the setup is just too damn heavy.

dunstall rearsets for a 76F and honda accessories clubman bar (sold through mineola honda's accessories cataloge specifically for a cb750 - wider than a standard clubman and came pre-drilled for internal wiring).

As she comes together I am not sure what I am going to do about the bodywork. I have a Metallic blue body set with factoy graphics (looks really neat - kinda stock but you know something ain't right) just itching to go on there but the original beast was candy anteres red. I might do a benji seat instead of the stocker and run the electrics in the tail but I haven't thought it out yet. Headlight is going to be a cb450 superhawk setup with the tach guts from a cb750 tach.

Shocks were originally cb900F units but I am replacing them with new Vipex shocks for a 900F.

I am going to lighten her as much as possible. no grab bar, no side covers, slim LED lights all around, and I am going to gun drill the fuck out of her.

more to follow....

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by borzwazie

Where'd you get the exhaust on that k3?
the bike came with it. Although there is a baffle in there the exhaust is still fairly loud. I took those pipes off and I sandblasted them and painted them hightemp black. I think I am gonna wrap some header wrap on the down pipes just for looks - they remind me of old muscle car headers.

They have a surprising amount of ground clearance.

now that you reminded me that I have them I am going to use them on the F project.

If I had to guess where they came from the look like TT pipes with an old jardine slash cut muffler.

·
Registered
194 Posts
10000000000000000000000000000000000000 is too many! wait, actually 100000000000000000000000000000000000000 is too many!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts