Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding for quite a while and my girl would like to start which I think it cool. Nice to have her on the back but she wants her own hack.....and I've got a fairly fresh CB450 that isn't getting much love.
She's all for the clip-ons and rearsets and the parts are sitting here on the shelf so that's the direction it'll probably go.

Thinking on this lead me to wonder if anyone here has a significant other who rides?

Lead, follow or get out of the way!

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
mine wants to learn. i got her a bike, it runs......

probably get it registered and insured in the spring.

she'll have to take the msf course first, because i don't think i am the right sort of instructor.

we would like to do the giro next year together.

tex

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
The girlfriend was a vintage vespa rider in New Orleans. Mostly because I used to work for a shop there and that is what they had around for me to borrow and ride. When we got up here I bought the cj360 for her but she used it like twice and never registered it because it was too hard for her to kick start (she has short legs) and the cj is a kick only bike. Sold that bike to nikki in brooklyn who rides the crap out of it and loves it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I say defintiely go for it. It is great to see women ride! Sometimes I like to ride with my man because it is nice, but most of the time, I would rather be on my own bike.

I would be happy you have a girl that is interested....some have trouble finding that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I signed up to take basic rider training here a couple of summers ago and my girlfriend (now wife) signed up at the same time. I had some motorcycle experience when I was a kid, but she had never been on a motorcycle at all. After a day of classroom training, we're tooling around on bikes on the course, and she's having a great time on the Eliminator 250 she's riding - scraping pegs on corners, etc. Of the four women in the course, she was the only one who passed. Two of those women had already purchased new Harleys. I went and got my endorsement right away, but she still hasn't gotten hers. Occaisionally she mentions wanting to ride, and I say my 350 would be perfect for her, but she hasn't taken me up on it.

Ron Bullard
[email protected]

http://springvinmoto.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=pdx_ron

·
Registered
147 Posts
My girlfriend won't go near the damn things. In fact she snears when she walks by mine. She has been brainwashed by the media to thing that everyone that ever touches a motorcycle will die a horrible death. When I first got mine, she would completely ignore anything that I said that involved motorcycles.

Hopefully she will come around eventually. It's ok though since she likes old school hot rods. She had a '72 Nova when we met and plans on having another one some day.

The best kind of justice is angry mob justice.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
my girlfriend has no interest. well....no serious interest. my friend kirsten took the course with a friend, her friend crashed out the first riding day, but kirsten passed and is getting her license. she probably wont really ride on the street, but she wanted to know how to do it. shes looking for a smallish bike. like what i posted about. like a 175, something with a highpipe. shes all about the scramblers and wants something to buzz around the back country roads near where she lives. you know....coffee runs, cigs, things like that. some of you have met my friend denise, she had a cb360 for a bit and talks about getting another bike quite often. shes got her papers too but crashed out on some railroad tracksa few years ago and has been initimidated ever since. but we ride xr100's around occasionally. girls on bikes are hot.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
My wife has been riding for several years now and is the local president of Women on Wheels (Albany area). Before we got married 13 years ago, I told her that there are two things I will not ever give up doing - riding bikes and sailing. She said, I better join you then...and she is an expert sailor (swears like one too when she wants) and a very good rider. She has had a Susuki 650 Savage (I love that single engine) and has rode it all over the place. I recommend you have your significant other take a riding course like MSF.

Yeller'
---
Ask not what the wanker can do for you, but what you can do for your wanker!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man.... Imiss you old cj360....that was a neat little bike. Too small for my 6'1" and 230 pounds but I rode the crap outta the thing.

I signed her up for the AMA cycle safety course here and she's pretty excited about it. She's 5'5" so the 450 should be just about perfect with the clipons and rearsets.....once it goes on a little diet.

Lead, follow or get out of the way!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wish there were more women riders!

I rode a little 60cc Benelli when I was a lass (and still have it!) and never gave much thought to riding again until my sweet husband gave me a Honda 450 for Christmas about 10 years ago. (My mom said, "Thank you for killing my daughter" when she found out).

To be honest, I found that bike a little big for relearning - it was tall and top heavy. I'm 5'5" but maybe I'm just a wimp. Then someone gave my husband a Honda CD175 and it was PERFECT for getting used to riding again. From there I graduated to my 69 BMW, which was a huge step but I was comfortable with the act of riding, so was able to deal with the additional weight and heft.

If I could make a few recommendations... I would say it's best to have someone else teach your girlfriend how to drive. I probably would have had a nervous breakdown or committed murder if my husband had tried to teach me. Even now I have had to insist that he cannot yell at me or tell me what I'm doing wrong if the wheels on my bike are moving.

Second, what I think makes riding more difficult for women than for men is that we don't have your strength. It's not a problem when the bike is moving, but pushing them around, putting them on the side or center stand...it's harder for us than you might realize.

Good luck to your girl - it's great fun to ride with your significant other!

Suki

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i see no harm with assisting a woman getting a bike onto a stand. now, my buddies leaving the bar drunk...that a whole other story. thank god for woman who are cool enough to ride. branson....ive seen your wife ride once or twice....shes definitely fast than you. but thats just cuz shes chasing the frank c guy.

jc

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
when renee isn't on her horse, she's been known to ride...that's until i took back the perfect, low mile cb350 street bike i bought for her so i could go racing. as soon as i add another street bike, she'll get my little cb400F. oh, and she and Yeller's wife learned to ride together a few years back, starting with the MSF course.

-tt

·
Registered
187 Posts
I taught my girlfriend to ride on a vintage trials bike, which I think makes a great beginners bike. Then I got serious and set up a course in a parking lot with a slalom and braking area, which she did on my old Vespa. She took her test on the Vespa too. It brought a tear to my eye the first time she brought home a ticket for lane splitting. Anyway, more recently she's been riding my Yamaha YL and may not ever go back to the Death Trap (Vespa). Any chick that can go fast and corner on an old Vespa is going to be a decent motorcycle rider.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
quote:
js, do you still have that outfit?

jc
hehehe.

Trials bike...great way to learn. Took a ride on a 250 Sherpa the other day. Very subtle machines, you learn to be careful and thoughtful about what you do because they react to the smallest input. Most of us could use a tune up on a trials bike now and then.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Wow champ, nice picture, but you should did change with age. I thought people just got shorter when they got older, but you lost your tits as well.

Yeller'
---
Ask not what the wanker can do for you, but what you can do for your wanker!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
those were the "pre-op" pics. Everything else is common place but the height reduction surgery that was a new one to me....

love ya champy

1 - 20 of 27 Posts