Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to make an offer but don't want to over pay.

It's a 76 Honda cb200t all original
4000 original miles
It's mechanically sound
Lite surface rust on the frame
clear title
The gas tank is yellow if that matters.

The seller is asking 1600

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
1 million dollars.

Or less depending on your location. And less than 1600 with lite surface rust on the frame regardless of the location. Or even light surface rust. What's your location?

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
1 million dollars.

Or less depending on your location. And less than 1600 with lite surface rust on the frame regardless of the location. Or even light surface rust. What's your location?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
people pay that much I believe. But I don't think its a good deal because its a wimpy over priced bike model. Mechanically sound is vague at best. Your location plays a big part too.

Fill your bio.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
people pay that much I believe. But I don't think its a good deal because its a wimpy over priced bike model. Mechanically sound is vague at best. Your location plays a big part too.

Fill your bio.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

You are asking for a sight unseen appraisal, so: $200

If the frame has surface rust, I can only imagine what condition the rest of it is in.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

You are asking for a sight unseen appraisal, so: $200

If the frame has surface rust, I can only imagine what condition the rest of it is in.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Go ride it and see if it truly "runs and stops perfectly" (for what it is anyway)

Take allot of detailed photos...

What's the other side of the bike look like? Tires look really old and the seller left compound or something on them from tying to clean the pitted rims. There are no boots from the carbs to the air cleaner - ouch ! . It looks to be leaking from the cylinder base gasket and all of the chrome bits look icky.

You will find all of these issues and many, many more when you actually go see it. Take along someone that knows bikes.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Go ride it and see if it truly "runs and stops perfectly" (for what it is anyway)

What's the other side of the bike look like? Tires look really old and the seller left compound or something on them from tying to clean the pitted rims. There are no boots from the carbs to the air cleaner - ouch ! . It looks to be leaking from the cylinder base gasket and all of the chrome bits look icky.

You will find all of these issues and many, many more when you actually go see it. Take along someone that knows bikes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
quote:Originally posted by kerosene

stopping perfect is questionable with the cable operated disk brake...

You haven't seen the bike? Why do you want a cb200?
Having seen it yet.

I figured it would be a great starter bike. I plan on only riding in the city and not freeways. To me the bike has character, looks simple to work on, cheap starter bike thrills.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
quote:Originally posted by kerosene

stopping perfect is questionable with the cable operated disk brake...

You haven't seen the bike? Why do you want a cb200?
Having seen it yet.

I figured it would be a great starter bike. I plan on only riding in the city and not freeways. To me the bike has character, looks simple to work on, cheap starter bike thrills.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
quote:Originally posted by Dean

I spoke with the owner over the phone, he was pleasant. Answers were straight forward.
He did mention that the tires were old and needed to be replaced,"no boots from the carbs to the air cleaner" How important is this? And that sucks cuz he said it was all original. Are cylinder base gaskets easy to repair? About the chrome being pitted, it's a 76 wouldn't that be normal? The bike did original come from Michigan but kept in a garage. So wouldn't surface rust on the frame for a 36 year old bike be normal?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
quote:Originally posted by Dean

I spoke with the owner over the phone, he was pleasant. Answers were straight forward.
He did mention that the tires were old and needed to be replaced,"no boots from the carbs to the air cleaner" How important is this? And that sucks cuz he said it was all original. Are cylinder base gaskets easy to repair? About the chrome being pitted, it's a 76 wouldn't that be normal? The bike did original come from Michigan but kept in a garage. So wouldn't surface rust on the frame for a 36 year old bike be normal?

1 - 20 of 136 Posts