Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Isn't every bike 'worth' what you are willing to pay? Or what someone is willing to pay?

Some people wouldn't look twice at a '99 Busa for $6500. It was worth twice that to me, so I bought it sight-unseen. It's payed me back 10x. Then again, I wish I hadn't paid $250 for my '90-'02 XR100 that I have yet to get running, but maybe someone else would have paid $100 more than me and been very happy.

Do the research. Look around. Compare prices. If the bike is still around after all that, and you still have the cash, and you want it, offer him $1400 and be happy with your ride.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
A salesman friend once told me a great piece of advice that has served me well for many years: "The dollar value of anything at any given moment is the price closest to what a given seller will be happy to sell at, and a given buyer will be happy to buy at. Any measure other than that is at best conjecture and at worst fantasy."

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
A salesman friend once told me a great piece of advice that has served me well for many years: "The dollar value of anything at any given moment is the price closest to what a given seller will be happy to sell at, and a given buyer will be happy to buy at. Any measure other than that is at best conjecture and at worst fantasy."

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
quote:Originally posted by Teazer

Yes, they are popular and people ask silly prices, and I have no idea why. They were the slowest of the CB160/175 line of bikes and don't do anything very well.

I think that a couple of people modified them and the rest just followed because they are small and cute.

In terms of value, it all comes down to what else you can get for the same cash or slightly more in your neck of the woods. CB200 is a good starter bike as it does nothing fast. The problem is that you will outgrow it pretty quickly and get tired of it's lack of power and weak brakes.

What you could do is to buy that one and clean it up and run it for a season and then sell it when you are ready for a bigger/newer bike. I would try to resist the temptation to modify it because any changes will reduce it's value as fast as you spend time and money on it.
Please educate me why and how a cb160 and 175 is faster than a 200?

And btw, I have personally seen bikes go for a higher price when they have been modified. Sure that is subjective but if this bike were turned into something better than it was stock, that should make the selling price go up, right?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

Yes, they are popular and people ask silly prices, and I have no idea why. They were the slowest of the CB160/175 line of bikes and don't do anything very well.

I think that a couple of people modified them and the rest just followed because they are small and cute.

In terms of value, it all comes down to what else you can get for the same cash or slightly more in your neck of the woods. CB200 is a good starter bike as it does nothing fast. The problem is that you will outgrow it pretty quickly and get tired of it's lack of power and weak brakes.

What you could do is to buy that one and clean it up and run it for a season and then sell it when you are ready for a bigger/newer bike. I would try to resist the temptation to modify it because any changes will reduce it's value as fast as you spend time and money on it.

And btw, I have personally seen bikes go for a higher price when they have been modified. Sure that is subjective but if this bike were turned into something better than it was stock, that should make the selling price go up, right?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
quote:Originally posted by Generalbuttnaked

I'd pay 1600 for this 200 over a used stock cb 200

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

I'd pay 1600 for this 200 over a used stock cb 200

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts

Btw, for them not being anything special, that model sure does have a large following on the webz and YouTube.
So does Lady Gaga....and I don't find her really special.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts

Btw, for them not being anything special, that model sure does have a large following on the webz and YouTube.
So does Lady Gaga....and I don't find her really special.

·
Registered
312 Posts
give me 1600 and ill sell you my cb360. new rings in the motor as well. honestly, these guys are right. i paid too much for my cb360. yes it can be fun(until 70mph), yes alot of people like it, but after riding a vfr750 and 600 ninja, about the only thing i do with on my cb360 is commute to work or ride because it saves quite a bit of gas. i have never rode a 175 or 200 for that matter so who knows, maybe it will be the bst time of your life. and i have some money sank into it as well as half a small shed of parts, and im honestly nver going to get that money back

·
Registered
312 Posts
give me 1600 and ill sell you my cb360. new rings in the motor as well. honestly, these guys are right. i paid too much for my cb360. yes it can be fun(until 70mph), yes alot of people like it, but after riding a vfr750 and 600 ninja, about the only thing i do with on my cb360 is commute to work or ride because it saves quite a bit of gas. i have never rode a 175 or 200 for that matter so who knows, maybe it will be the bst time of your life. and i have some money sank into it as well as half a small shed of parts, and im honestly nver going to get that money back

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I bet you got a lot of joy spending time tinkering on the ol bike though. That's priceless. Mechanics/tinkerers are not cut from the same cloth as everyone else. We like what we like.

I don't have a lot of money and would just like to cruise around town with the gf every once in a while. I don't need anything bigger than a 200, hell a 160 would work fine.

I don't want the thing breaking down on me either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I bet you got a lot of joy spending time tinkering on the ol bike though. That's priceless. Mechanics/tinkerers are not cut from the same cloth as everyone else. We like what we like.

I don't have a lot of money and would just like to cruise around town with the gf every once in a while. I don't need anything bigger than a 200, hell a 160 would work fine.

I don't want the thing breaking down on me either.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts

um....where are you getting this "we" stuff? Honestly it is like someone sold you a whole lifestyle as the mechanic/tinkerer/artist. it's a bunch of bullshit.

First off any old bike will likely cause you more pain than joy. period. and it isn't priceless. In fact it can be very cheap - just go fix an old toaster. trust me the same amount of pride will be there when you eat the first piece of toast from your once broken toaster as you will from fixing then riding a broken motorcycle...the only thing you will miss out on is the 3-6 months of the bike making your life miserable.

41 - 60 of 136 Posts