Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently made a post about a CB200, which you guys promptly talked me out of. I'm not looking to set the world on fire, but I would like to be able to at least keep up with traffic. Having never owned a bike in my life, I'm pretty green when it comes to engine sizes.

In my last post about a 200, someone asked if I had tools.
I do in fact live in a 40x60 metal building, and do all my own work on my street car ('79 malibu). I know my way around a wrench, but not a single thing about motorcycles.

Do I mainly need to stick with 4 cylinders, or will 2 popper be decent?
That being said.. opinions on this CB350? It's right up the road from me.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/mcy/3282662660.html

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Why not try leaving the Internet and go ride the bike?

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Why not try leaving the Internet and go ride the bike?

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Dude, why the interest in small bikes? You are wasting your time.

Plenty of twins and singles will be highway safe so you aren't married to four cylinders. However you are wasting everyone's time looking for anything under 450ccs.

A SOHC 750 or 550 will do 75mph all day long. So will a sportster, an sr500, xs650 etc....

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Dude, why the interest in small bikes? You are wasting your time.

Plenty of twins and singles will be highway safe so you aren't married to four cylinders. However you are wasting everyone's time looking for anything under 450ccs.

A SOHC 750 or 550 will do 75mph all day long. So will a sportster, an sr500, xs650 etc....

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I've seen and ridden some pretty decently fast cb350's but as a man once said; you cannot beat cubic inches. For the price of a decent cb350 - you can find and equally decent larger displayed motorcycle. Now what you end up buying depends on your personal taste and what's available in your local market.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I've seen and ridden some pretty decently fast cb350's but as a man once said; you cannot beat cubic inches. For the price of a decent cb350 - you can find and equally decent larger displayed motorcycle. Now what you end up buying depends on your personal taste and what's available in your local market.

·
Registered
541 Posts
That bike is not worth anything near what he is asking, from what I can see it needs tires, he said it needs a battery, the new carbs aren't tuned right and will take you a long time to get them sorted with that exhaust set up. The biggest thing is it doesn't have a title, he says he has it but not in his name. That only takes a few moments at the DMV to switch over so something is going on there. Not sure what he means by not inspected, if it needs to be than the lack of turn signals and fenders might not fly. Its basically a parts bike.

·
Registered
541 Posts
That bike is not worth anything near what he is asking, from what I can see it needs tires, he said it needs a battery, the new carbs aren't tuned right and will take you a long time to get them sorted with that exhaust set up. The biggest thing is it doesn't have a title, he says he has it but not in his name. That only takes a few moments at the DMV to switch over so something is going on there. Not sure what he means by not inspected, if it needs to be than the lack of turn signals and fenders might not fly. Its basically a parts bike.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
quote:Originally posted by bmartin

around town a cb350 is zippy. But that isn't what will kill a cb350. Oil starvation to the head after hour 3 of 75-80mph caning that motor for all it's worth. actually once in a while probably won't do that either but regularly would be asking a lot from the bike.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
quote:Originally posted by bmartin

around town a cb350 is zippy. But that isn't what will kill a cb350. Oil starvation to the head after hour 3 of 75-80mph caning that motor for all it's worth. actually once in a while probably won't do that either but regularly would be asking a lot from the bike.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
i have had my CB350 up to an indicated 95mph, but i was drafting up to a semi. in calm wind, WOT itll get to 80.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
i have had my CB350 up to an indicated 95mph, but i was drafting up to a semi. in calm wind, WOT itll get to 80.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
quote:Originally posted by muskies666

Thanks, that's a solid post. I really don't have a clue what these bikes are worth, but I though that was some what of a decent deal.
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
quote:Originally posted by muskies666

Thanks, that's a solid post. I really don't have a clue what these bikes are worth, but I though that was some what of a decent deal.
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
a 350 will struggle on the highway. if youre from texas....the speedlimit there on the highway will have you at 5th at redline pretty often. they will go for hours like that no problem. but its got to be in good condition. weve endurance raced enough of them to know.

but my advice is the same as everyone elses....get a 500 or larger. kz. cb. gs. if you want to go get groceries, the 350 is fine. but youll top out at about 80 mph in street trim. not fun on the highway. though people do it all of the time.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
a 350 will struggle on the highway. if youre from texas....the speedlimit there on the highway will have you at 5th at redline pretty often. they will go for hours like that no problem. but its got to be in good condition. weve endurance raced enough of them to know.

but my advice is the same as everyone elses....get a 500 or larger. kz. cb. gs. if you want to go get groceries, the 350 is fine. but youll top out at about 80 mph in street trim. not fun on the highway. though people do it all of the time.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Get something you can slap a tank bag on and go get lost. You can do that with a cb350 but it will be a different kind of ride simply because the thing is 40 years old. More modern will free you up to focus on your riding, and that is the what's most important to someone starting out.

The only time a cb350 has enough power is when you are riding with a bunch of cb200s! Have fun with it dude. Cheers

1 - 20 of 28 Posts