Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been spending considerable time attempting to fix some electrical gremlins and sort out the inadequate charging system on my CB350. Last night I installed an aftermarket voltage regulator that claims to begin charging the bike at idle.
On my way to work today, the bike dies at a stoplight. A few attempts to restart were unsuccessful.
Fuck. I assume the battery is dying/dead - which wouldn't be the first time on this bike.
So I start pushing. And cursing. Mostly cursing. Did I mention it's 90+ degrees in Chicago today?
After about a block, I realize I don't hear the familiar sound of gasoline sloshing around in the tank - which I have grown to love during the times I've had to previously push this bike home.
Sure enough, I'm almost out.
I'm glad this lesson only cost me a couple gallons of gas and what's left of my pride.

1974 CB350F
1965 Lambretta Li150
2003 Stella

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I once sat a gas station for about 20 minutes with a bike that wouldn't start before I looked at the kill switch.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
In one of the first couple of months after I got my cb750 I ran the battery down in the parking lot of a sears trying to start it with the electric starter. When the e- starter died I tried to kick it and she wouldn't go. Then I began push starting it. I did a GP start 5 times before I realized the kill switch was in the off position. I flicked it over, kicked her and she started right up.

I also once rode almost a mile (in a straight line) with the kickstand down. I only realized it when it stood me up in a left turn.

We all do bone head things. don't feel so bad.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I've had that same kill switch problem several times. I an not used to these new fangle bikes with them. In the old days (yawn) we had to use the key!

Like others, I have pushed the race bike, gotten pissed, kicked it(the bike, not the starter) nearly had a heart attack, then realized one or the other of the kill switches was on. Out of gas another time.

My boot sometimes catches the choke on the race bike, making it run rough and me thinking expensive repairs. The first time this happened at the track was just after I ran out of gas...Luckily Champ was not there.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
jack,

you need to wire your choke up and off. you don't need it to start it, and it will only cost you position during a race when you inevitably turn it on.

tex

p.s.- don't tell c.marsh that, it's how i beat him the last race!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:
Ever get off your bike without putting the kickstand down?
I have.

JohnnyB
After how many beers?

1974 CB350F
1965 Lambretta Li150
2003 Stella

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yep, I've done all of that. I once taught a girl I was dating to ride in a parking lot, and like a good instructor, I made her locate the petcock with her hand without looking at it because, as I said, she would one day be riding and forget to turn the petcock on and it'd die while she was rolling.

Then, while riding home 2-up, the bike died while we were rolling. I pulled over and scratched my balls for fifteen minutes before I realized the petcock was off.

A

·
Registered
687 Posts
haha, i remember that and godamn it i'm guilty of all of that. curse honda for putting the petcock in the same side as the throttle.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
85 Posts
haha good stuff! Heres a biggie..how about hitting the starter while it's in first gear and nearly spilling the bike...while trying to look smooth in front of a new girlfriend. Oooooh that hurts!!

Banned From The Pubs..
'73 CB350(RIP)
'74 CB750K3 Cafe Thriller

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Me too. Done most of that.

When I first started racing, I spent a half hour or so pushing my XT500 up the hill, ride it down, skid, push it back up ride it down, skid, over and over. The rear brake rod was adjusted too short, locking up the rear wheel in the gravel when I jumped on the seat. I thought I had too much compression...

When I was riding through Iowa and had plenty of time to not do anything, I was looking at my handlebar switches and discovered one that I couldn't remember ever seeing before. It was on the right side, had a lightning bolt on it. I pushed it a few times and nothing happened. I shrugged it off, figured I'd look it up in the manual next time I stopped. 'bout ten miles later I realized it was the starter button. Doh!

FR

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Dumbest Dumbass thing I ever did on a bike, I was 21 and trying to get to know, in the biblical sense, this blonde. I was at her dorm and she was not cooperative, I left pissed, jumped on my Yamaha DT250, reved it up and immediately popped a big wheelie.

I was not expecting it from that bike, so stuck my foot out, knee locked. When we came down the foot hit first, breaking my knee... I was able to ride the bike to a parking spot, someone helped me put the kickstand down. When I tried to stand up I promptly fell down.....

An exgirlfriend worked at the same hotel, and she took me to the hospital--3 months in a cast toe to crotch. Luckily I had just purchased an automatic trans car, so I could still drive (broke left leg). I learned you can do a lot of stuff with a broken leg, even ride a motorcycle....

Edited by - Jackc on Aug 09 2007 8:03:23 PM

·
Registered
13,809 Posts

always cool to impress girls in a convertible by pulling up next to them, pulling your foot off the peg, and to have your shoelace catch on the footpeg. of course causing you to fall over and be pinned against their passenger side door. i nearly crashed watching a buddy do this.

when i used to switch back and forth between the honda and the bonneville alot. was chatting with mom one day. kicked the 350 over and went to sit on it and put my foot on the rear brake. ooops....it was the shifter. right into 1st and out from under me to topple onto the lawn at idle. real classy. "see how cool motorcycling is mom?"

jc

·
Registered
453 Posts
got off my 750 one morning right before class started at AMI, shut it off, turned the fuel off, climbed off................forgot the sidestand damnit! snapped the clutch lever and barend mirror off that day.

fat people are harder to kidnap

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ran out of gas one late weekend morning, less than a mile maybe to gas station so I began pushing. Took a shortcut through a nice but busy park, here I am in riding gear pushing a motorcycle on a walkway with joggers, walkers, kids soccer teams and families with strollers moving out of my way. Then I had to push it down a busy avenue, and wait at the crosswalk before I could reach the station. Many smiles from onlookers, not super cool.

A few months back I showed up at my old work to BS with my old boss, everyone complements the motorcycle when I ride in. I go to leave, everyone watching, Kick it over and it sputters for a few seconds and dies. Forget to take it out of gear, kick it over again and it launches forward. Grab onto it, kick it over for three minutes and nothing. Finally put it on reserve and eventually it coughs, sputters to life. Not cool there either.

Ron Bullard
[email protected]

http://springvinmoto.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=pdx_ron

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
dude, your type1 cl is one of the nicest ive ever seen! sweet!

jc

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a great day 2 years ago riding with my buddy out of Boston to VT. On the way back shortly after the half way point in the trip I was headed up a slight rise when my bike falls out of gear. So OK, a false neutral, I'd just shifted to second and I figger the bike just popped out of gear. I shift up, clutch out, and scare the shit out of my self with a sudden rev to redline (i was on a modern honda). shift down, clutch out, more revs. uh oh, whats happened to my tranny. Never had that much worry cuz it's a Honda, but then I remember the occasionally clutches can be fragile. Has the spring broken? has the hydraulic clutch leaked? Has the gear shifter broken? we sit and noodle around the bike for about 10 minutes when finally a guy in a pickup drives up and says he saw my chain fly off my bike about a mile back. He stopped, picked it up off the road and brought it back to us. We'd been looking at the gear shifter for almost 10 minutes, shifting it up and down when 6 inches to the right we'd have seen pretty much the most obvious of answers. duh. I'm glad it wasn't just me. maybe i need smarter friends.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Pulled up to a gas pump, and in one single, very smooth, fluid motion, stopped, put down the kickstand and hopped off the bike. Was feeling very cool until the bike fell over on top of me. Hadn't got the stand all the way down.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ok, so I've finally decided which strategic maneuver I'd like to share with the class. My first street legal bike was an '89 Honda NX125 enduro. The first and last bike I will ever own without a kickstarter. It had been raining for a solid week before I decided to go ride some trails down by the river. I managed to get myself about 5 miles out into the middle of a swamp before I managed to kill the bike. So I thumb the starter and nothing happens. This had been happening a lot, but never go my attention because the bike was so easy to push start. It finally got my attention as a swarm of mosquitoes moved in and tried to carry me off. Who knew it was impossible to push start a bike in mud? Well, I hiked the bike back out to the road and push started it. I rode home and decided to find out what was up with the starter. As soon as I took the seat off I saw my answer; the bolt had fallen out of the negative terminal on my battery. I grabbed it out of the bottom of the battery box and re-attached it. I never had any more trouble starting that bike. As I sat there examining my bug bites I realized that no other machines have made me look like a fool than the ones with two wheels.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts