Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im building a cafe racer out of my 1979.
Id love to give it a lower looking profile, but i dont know how to go about...

also, i want to get rid of my huge speedo/rpm gauge. Was wondering what my solutions are... thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
lower what? the front? the back? both?
aside from the obvious of pushing the forks up in the triple and getting shorter shocks, the idea begs the question as to why?
speed yo need to figure out what ratio the drive is and find something that you like.
i HATE the mini drag specialties ones but everyone seems to use them and they are small

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
For a lower 'profile,' ditch the mirrors and high handlebars, use some superbike or drag bars with baby mirrors instead, and move your instrument cluster down somewhat.

I don't recommend raising the forks in the triples to lower the front end or lowering the rear using shorter shocks. I do recommend raising the rear with longer shocks by 1-2".

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Perhaps if you filled out your bio, gave us some indication of your skill level, access to machining and experiences in addition to your location, we would be able to be a little more helpful. Using the search function, could also help provide you with some information, since lowering and the Cb400 have been discussed many times. So, based on no information at all, I will give you some ideas. Feel free to disregard those that you don't like or don't understand.

1. install a spacer on the damper rod in the forks to limit travel.
2. cut the springs on the rear shocks and just let the rear end flop around at full extension
3. just take the gauges off, they are only held on with bolts.
4. install clubman bars with bar end mirrors
6. go with 16 inch wheels front and rear (5 was too stupid of a suggestion even for me, but it did involve gunpowder and #2 diesel.)
7. replace the rear shocks with struts.
8. Pods
9. Flat black paint, checkers and 59 stickers with an Ace of Spades decal and some skulls.
10. Make a bunch of brand new friends at Do The Ton . com

Hope this helps,

Ken

·
Registered
204 Posts
You guys are no help at all!
You forgot the the easiest method for lowering bikes.
Put the kickstand and center stand up and let go.
They get pretty low that way.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You guys are no help at all!
You forgot the the easiest method for lowering bikes.
Put the kickstand and center stand up and let go.
They get pretty low that way.
Hope that helps.
Bwaaà haaa haaa! came across on this "forum" post after a quick search for tips on lowering a cafe racer. This response had me ROFL.
Nicely done

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Bwaaà haaa haaa! came across on this "forum" post after a quick search for tips on lowering a cafe racer. This response had me ROFL.
Nicely done
Goes to show you some of the ridiculous shite people want to do to a motorcycle. You're not wanting to do that shite are you?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts