Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got three CL350's, two '69's and a '72. I bought them as parts bikes. I have one of them running and I would like to title and register it. The DMV said I had to hire an attorney to prepare a petition to obtain a title. I have a BOS from the previous owner (who never had the '69's titled [the '72 was from a different guy]). Any tips? resources?

Thanks!

Jeremy

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
there are title services available in a few states. In essence, you sell them the vehicle, they go register it in their state (needing only a bill of sale), get transferable paperwork, then sell the bike back to you.

Seems like it costs around $150 (cheaper than a lawyer). I have never used them but have heard good things from guys that have. Google "title service"

·
Registered
699 Posts
go out on a date with somebody in the DMV office...that is my advice

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
i have used ITS title service for two bikes, $75.oo no hassle and the dmv was happy to except there paper work, just print the ITS form fill it out mail it to them with a check and about a week later you get Alabama registration and title exemption form, take to local dmv give them a check and your all set, just put a reasonable price on the bike don't try and tell dmv you paid a dollar.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I have also used ITS a few times. Two bits to be careful about -

1. Double check your states policy on lost titles.

http://www.in.gov/bmv/4321.htm#title

It looks as though they might have a procedure for title search:

http://www.in.gov/bmv/3546.htm

I've spoken to the NJ DMV probably a half dozen times regarding title searches. Each time I spoke to a different person and each time I got a different answer - none of them useful. If Indiana doesn't have a procedure for searching for a lost title (NJ doesn't) then you'll want to use ITS.

2. Double check any paperwork you get back from ITS. More than once they've failed to fill out sections on the transfer paperwork and I've had to make sure they were completed before I got to the DMV.

Another thing that can pop up to bite you in the ass is if the bike has been in Indiana all along. You can bet the person behind the counter will run a full title search once you get them to take the ITS paperwork to make sure you're not trying to title a stolen bike. If it was titled recently in Indiana, the shift out of state (ITS) and then back (you) might make them suspicious.....

Jim

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Do most states even issue titles for bikes older than 1975? I know NY doesn't and it's pretty painless to get an older bike registered in NY. You need a signed bill of sale, which most of you can get your buddy to give you. And a tracing of the vin # off of the bike. $20 later the bike is registered in your name.

Craig

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
there are some states that will not accept title service registrations for various reasons but the jist of it is those states take the position that they are fraudulent

somebody told me recently that Indiana requires the actual numbers on the vehicle to be physically inspected by a police or dmv officer

I don't know if that is true but plenty of states have some very gestapo titling laws and there are several now that pop up a red flag for NH, Nevada, Alabama, and even Georgia papers

probably a few more but basically those that have title exemptions based on vehicle year

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I would think each and every state has either/or an abandoned vehicle lien procedure or artisans lien which is totally legal and quite easy

ever wonder what those classified ads are about that list one or several vehicles by their VIN with an announcement of the auction day and time

generally, that is what is going on when you see those

most all states will also title one with a "surety bond"

most require you own real property but I think some will allow any owner of real property to sign it

fwiw........ I don't use the title services and have no need to make the short trip to Alabama to do the Alabama shuffle

and if you go there, you don't have to use a title service in that state or actually even rent or own a domicile since the Supreme Court has ruled many times that residency is a state of mind

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
[I would think each and every state has either/or an abandoned vehicle lien procedure or artisans lien which is totally legal and quite easy]

Yep New Jersey has a procedure, but it’s not easy, as a matter of fact it ponderous, it would take a whole page just to explain it so for $75 I’ll skip the whole ting,
Every time I go I expect the njdmv to throw me out but it keeps working, last time they sent me back home to get a pencil tracing of the VIN number but other than that it was a breeze

1 - 17 of 17 Posts