Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another electric clusterfuck.

Does anyone know how to wire this aftermarket solenoid? I am posting a picture of the new and old one. Also I am posting the wiring diagram.

The issue is that on the new one there is only one red wire with a male bullet connector coming out of the side. The old one has two wires coming out of the side.

There are two wiring diagrams posted here. One is a picture out of my CLymer manual. It is different that the one I found online.

Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
The two posts on the solinoid are for the battery negative lead. One should connect right to the battery, the other to... probably the bike ground cable. The red lead from the new solinoid is the trigger wire, and is probably the yellow/red wire from the old one. The new solinoid is most likely grounded through its body to the frame unlike the old one, which is why you only have one wire.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Where the old solenoid uses the black ground wire, the new solenoid is wired to ground internally using the metal case. Once you bolt the new solenoid to the motorcycle chassis it will be grounded and complete the circuit. The ground wire on the bike that original went to the black selenoid wire can be left empty without any problems.

Cheers, Bret @ Glass from the Past

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

I had wired it up to test it last night but it was not bolted to the frame. That explains why it wasn't working.

Mut

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Not to be a nitpicker, but Bret is only almost right. The black wire is from the neutral switch so the starter solenoid will only function when the bike is in neutral. If you hook it up grounding through the body of the solenoid, it will work any time the starter button is pushed even if the bike is in gear or if the engine is already running. You may want it that way since ou will then be able to start it in gear with the clutch pulled in. Otherwise, you will need to isolate the solenoid with rubber mounts and solder a wire to the body to hook to the black wire from the harness.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
66 Posts
the two large posts are NOT for negative wire! one red lead in from battery, and then out the other side with the black wire to the starter motor post.

just my two cent's worth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts