Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, a question for you...

Would you feel good about installing a 2mm strip of aluminum around a fork tube to act as a spacer for a larger set of clip-ons? The strip would ideally give full contact around the entire fork tube, minus a hair or two to allow for the compression of tightening the clip-on.

What do you gurus think?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've never done this but, if you use "dead soft" aluminum, it is likely that the malleability of the metal will allow the clip-ons to loosen over time; maybe on one ride! I would consider that to be an extreme safety issue warranting the expenditure necessary to purchase the correct size of clip-ons.

If you do it, be sure to have the aluminum rolled rather than "beaten" into shape to provide maximum area of contact.[8D]

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I have shimmed plenty of clip-ons on race bikes using beverage can material. Has worked fine for me for years.

Ken

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's dead soft aluminum? Never heard of it...

So far the tally is 2 for, 1 against!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Some Magura clip-ons used to come with a variety of different sized aluminum spacers to fit different diameter fork tubes. I've had a set on my Triumph for a few years now and have never had any problems.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Beer can for the win. Preferably Guinness....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dead soft is pure, unalloyed, untempered aluminum. It is very easy to work but has low hardness and strength. Kinda like an old guy.[8D]

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Swagger

Beer can for the win. Preferably Guinness....
+1.

thicker spacers are usually machined from cast aluminium because its harder than 6061, etc. but, I would use what's available.
you can always check by giving bar a real good smack and see if it moves.
PJ

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'd just wrap the tubes with an appropriate amount of electrical tape. Laugh at danger! Ha ha!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts