Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an ad for a vendor selling a Campbell X-Pipe on ebay. web site www.xpipe.org

The claim is it beats the "older" 4in1 pipes for power...ect

I have to admit - I like the idea of the pipe and would consider it for a cb750 project. It looks like it would be a good pipe for an 836 kitted bike.

My question is - is it HYPE or is it THE PIPE????

thanks;
Bob

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a few observations for you. First of all "campbell" is a no name brand. never heard fo them and who knows how long they will be around. The real X pipes were made by a company called Murray. They are around but only make pipes for people who can pay for 10 at a time. The pic on that website is obviously from the 80's, you can tell by the helmet the guy is wearing. I am sure the pic is of a Murray pipe. Looks like Campbell took the Murray desing and sells it as their own. I am sure it would sound good but likely not worth the price. Find a used one and you will be happy with it.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
The theory's sound. Their claims are a bit much. If the pipe's built right, should have a nice torque curve. I put a few Yosh Duplex pipes on bikes when they first came out(late 80s). Not exactly the same thing, but close. They always ran well.

Best case(IMO) it's not gonna be night and day better than a good 4 into 1. What it may do is give you some more low and mid-range.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
There is a lot of info about these pipes around the internet. Most if it is bad. Let's begin....

First off they don't tell you this but assembly is extra. You get the pipe as a bunch of prebent sections that you weld yourself. If they build if for you the chrome they will coat it in is worse than MAC (and that is saying something). which brings me to point number 2 - the fucking thing is hella expensive. Also, if you notice there is no rear mount - the whole thing is held up by the exhaust collars and it is not light. b/c of the no rear mount it vibrates like crazy and can crack the head pipes, so for it to really be useable you need to fab something. Which means you may also loose your centerstand, depending on the bike. It really isn't for a stock bike, you need to have a pretty modded motor for you to really take advantage of the principles talked about on the site. Grpund clearance is also an issue unless you found a way to bend the pipe up when you got around to making the rear mount. Oh yeah, and once you bought the pipe - there really is not customer service. This pipe has been around since the 1970s, so somebody is buying these, but who I just don't know.

The only one I ever saw in person was on a suzuki gs750. Let me say this now the pipe is not quiet when you are twisting the wick. It is kinda quiet and lopey at idle but every custom pipe is. However this GS750 was a guy I knew's street strip bracket race drag bike and it used to rape anything up to 1000ccs made before 1990. The sound is also unlike any other pipe I have ever heard at full song. IT is a really good sound too. In the looks department it defiantly hogs style points (once you get all the issues sorted out).

here is some reading for your ass:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=16322.0

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=89083&highlight=x-pipe

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=92420&highlight=x-pipe

Personally I would build my own and avoid the x-pipe like the plague.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an old article from the 80's regarding the Maxi X cross pipe on a 1982 Seca 650. With a Yosh kit, the bike ran an 11.97 @ 110 mph with the X pipe vs. 11.98 @ 108 with a Yosh pipe. With the stock exhaust, the hopped up Seca ran a 12.18 @ 108. The contact for the Maxi X pipe was one Monty Campbell, so it is the same folks offering it now. I have seen and heard one of these exhausts and does sound cool, power is supposed to be good across the entire power band too. cruzerjd

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
quote:Originally posted by cruzerjd

I have an old article from the 80's regarding the Maxi X cross pipe on a 1982 Seca 650. With a Yosh kit, the bike ran an 11.97 @ 110 mph with the X pipe vs. 11.98 @ 108 with a Yosh pipe. With the stock exhaust, the hopped up Seca ran a 12.18 @ 108. The contact for the Maxi X pipe was one Monty Campbell, so it is the same folks offering it now. I have seen and heard one of these exhausts and does sound cool, power is supposed to be good across the entire power band too. cruzerjd
I bet if you went back and did the math, most of the two-tenths gain between stock and the Yosh could be attributed to weight reduction. Notice no gain in mph, so minimal hp gain. The X pipe has to be heavier than the Yosh and yet ETed better w/a 2 mph gain. If a guy had all the numbers you could figure backwards how much more power it made.

Dragstrip testing isn't where I'd expect that pipe to shine anyhow. A top gear roll-on test would be more telling to me.

For some reason the first time I went to the X pipe web site the pictures and prices didn't come up. Before I spent that much I'd cut some crossovers into a 4 into 1. And no rear mount, WTF? Lemme know how that works after the first hard wheelie landing or nasty set of RR tracks.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
quote:Originally posted by speed2xs

So what exactly about the "X" configuration makes it more advantageous?
I'm gonna guess it's just a crossover or a balance tube made that way so it looks like something. If it were a true merge collector it would be chambered so adjacent firing cylinders help pull the exhaust out of one another. Like the Y-pipe on a Cup car. Although from reading his website I'm not sure if he believes in that or not?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
If it were a true merge collector it would be chambered so adjacent firing cylinders help pull the exhaust out of one another. Like the Y-pipe on a Cup car. Although from reading his website I'm not sure if he believes in that or not?
I think that is what happens here (or atleast what campbell thinks what happens) except it is not exactly chambered.

There are real crossover pipes for a cb750 (4 into 2) where adjacent pipes share a common collector.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I'm not going to go into any diatribes about this pipe and just say..... I didn't notice any such plumbing on the 176 horse GSXR1000, that I put several miles on. And that has to be one of the most incredible motorcycle engines I've ever had between my legs. I think the later twin muffler Gixxer is only somewhat similar but with far more sensible angles of convergence and exit angles.

Multiple crossovers, seen several pipes work well with those too.

I didn't see the dyno sheets on them and I'd just be inclined to think if they were "all that", they'd be printed up and taking on all comers in the magazine dyno shootouts. Maybe it is better than several pipes out there, if so they need to prove it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts